Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst the tantrum royal loving twattery is all true... he hasn't half done some hits. If I only watched acts from people I like as a person I'd probably be restricted to Craig Charles & the Lancashire hotpots.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not exactly got a spotless track record either.

One of th'otpots who played in 2009 topped himself a year later while under police investigation for noncery.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

While I've no doubt Reg makes lots of money, money doesn't particularly be the driver for what he does. He does a shit load of charity concerts every year, for example.

His touring is much more about him loving his job as a working musician, I think.

(disclaimer: I'm no EJ fan, but am aware of a lot of what he does).

mixed in with the occasional Rush Limbaugh wedding gig... 

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

He'd be comfortably the biggest arsehole ever to play the festival.

A tantrum throwing, royalist sycophant. The thought of this toadying fuckwit at glastonbury is nauseating.

Though I suppose he's the perfect act for the current crowd.

I genuinely had no idea he was such a diva. I just thought he was an old guy in crazy glasses who was really in to Princess Di. 

"toadying fuckwit" is a blinding phrase

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

He tried to run over my mate in Liverpool in the 80's driving a gold Ford.

my mate most likely deserved it to be honest

I'm not sure thats what @CaledonianGonzo was referring to... but a great story! What had your mate done to deserve it?

I bloody love Craig Charles. National treasure. Despite the crack dabbling and being sacked from corrie. 

Just googled the Davos thing - seems he was there picking up a human rights award for his AIDS foundation.  If he also did a gig while there there's not much about it online.

As for the tantrums, I'd imagine most people couldn't give a fiddlers whether or not he's a diva.  We're not all avid Hello magazine readers like the Russ-ster.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just googled the Davos thing - seems he was there picking up a human rights award for his AIDS foundation.  If he also did a gig while there there's not much about it online.

ah, fair enough, that might be what he was there for.

I saw a report on TV that said him and a couple of other names (who I don't remember) would be performing, but it's possible they got him mixed in with the performers just because he was there for something else.

(I guess it's even possible none of them were there to perform, but someone saw their names on a list and presumed they were there to perform).

I could understand them wanting him in the legends' slot rather than as a headliner and in previous years only giving him an offer for the former, but on his final tour and with Glastonbury headline options getting slimmer year on year they'd be silly to miss out on him so I think they'd be happy to give him either (which would most likely mean he'd end up headlining).

Only act I’ve ever walked out on.  Dublin circa 1985, Paul Young was the support, Paul Young was great,  Reg oh-so-very-much less so.  Add 33 or so years to that voice (and that apparent cynicism - which could have been diva-ism thinking about it, but that wasn’t known then.  Annoying whatever it was) and the only thing that would get me there would be if I was in need of a singalong type cuddle rather than listening to life-affirming live music.  Could happen at Glastonbury, I do love a good we’re-all-enjoying-this-together moment but I think it’s unlikely given the possible options.  

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

I bet you a Curly Wurly he headlines 

I bet he doesn't.

9 hours ago, themuel said:

He’s a headliner.  No other option. Yes he’s a legend so he could do the legend slot,  but he’s too big. 

Yes there is is, why is he too big?, he tours every year and struggles to sell out tiny venues. He's a massive name yes but it's not like he could announce Wembley and sell it out now. 1.5hr slot on the Sunday afternoon if he plays. Tbf he does have Friday free next year.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What was true last year doesn't hold for this year.  It's a no brainer that this being his farewell will increase demand.  It wouldn't surprise me if he actually does play Wembley or Hyde Park towards the end of the run.

I don't see it, he's a much bigger ticket shifter in the states than here now. Don't get me wrong I think his crowd would be crazy considering being included in the price, I mean Lionels was and he can't just go sell out what he wants....Dolly was a bit different as she did sell big and very well. 

If Arctics did the Wembley date this year then Glasto will happen next year and not 2020....as they are here in Europe this year now then it's next year anyway as Glasto won't have them 3 years after. Only think changing that I can see is if they don't want them playing Wembley 1st and the band did Reading instead buy considering Muse did Download before Glasto....it happens the odd time and I'd expect Wembley to sell quite fast.....they did two dates at Finsbury quick enough. 

I'm still thinking Blur will headline in 2020 though.

Elton would be the greatest legend in the history of the festival, but as a headliner, I'm deeply uninterested.

He could definitely play both, but I doubt I'd see him at night, even if I'd be all over the Sunday afternoon slot like a rash.

Not sure why.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I heard him on Jonathon Ross years ago saying that at the height of his cocaine mania he apparently rang his assistant complaining it was too windy in the park he was in and asking her to do something about it.

Perfectly reasonable...as is this:

According to a HuffPost translation of the Portuguese-language Pampulha newspaper, John’s rider included demands such as chrysanthemums in his room and an offering of pão de queijo, a popular Brazilian snack. However, the most unconventional item was his request for a separate hotel room to accommodate his large collection of glasses.