Most 'overbooked' headliner

airwaves

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Moby's an anomaly cos he doesn't have a well loved catalogue or a consistent run of form / popularity - just one freakishly successful / ubiquitous album.  A one hit wonder, give or take a few other bits and bobs.

Yeah and I've just checked, Play was out in 1999 so he played 4 years past his peak. Definitely a weird one on reflection. I guess he should have played in place of skunk anansie or travis in 2000.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

For sure. I think my dad had that album in the car even, and he’s never been a fan of dance music and has barely tolerated music at all in my lifetime.

It’s just by today’s standards they pulled the trigger too fast on him headlining, as when you look at headliners now - or the missteps detailed in this thread - they have to be with either the biggest names in pop or bands with at least a decade of headlining festivals under their belt else they’re nobodies.

Did they?  They're not choosing the headliners to look good in forum posts 16 years later.  He was a massively popular act at the time, as were Mumfords.

11 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah and I've just checked, Play was out in 1999 so he played 4 years past his peak. Definitely a weird one on reflection. I guess he should have played in place of skunk anansie or travis in 2000.

Nah that album was a slow burn and aided by licensing every single song to TV and film. 2002/03 was the only time he coulda headlined.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Did they?  They're not choosing the headliners to look good in forum posts 16 years later.  He was a massively popular act at the time, as were Mumfords.

Is exactly what I’m saying. :D

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah that album was a slow burn and aided by licensing every single song to TV and film. 2002/03 was the only time he coulda headlined.

Is exactly what I’m saying. :D

Ah fair enough, I cant really remember the specifics. But I can remember it feeling like quite a big deal at the time. 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Ah fair enough, I cant really remember the specifics. But I can remember it feeling like quite a big deal at the time. 

Tbh I previously just assumed his songs were all over because he was massive rather than vice versa. Was reading about it recently you see, which is pretty much why I mentioned him. Sometimes you just wanna talk about Moby.

Edited by dentalplan