2018 - What it might have looked like

WS_Jack_III

I'm coming to the slow realisation that if there had been a Glastonbury 2018, the lineup would have been amazing. The bands doing the festival circuit are immense (IMO - many others may be thinking the exact opposite I'm sure)

NIN, Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA, Pearl Jam....Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Nick Cave

Even the undercard looks alright (Anderson Paak, Snow Patrol, Kasabian, MGMT, Gorillaz). And that's before we even start thinking about what DJs and what not. 

Still trying to find the ideal replacement...

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It was either going to be that or a reference to the fact that the visuals for Jump Off The Roof kept flashing up Timothy Spall.

I was there and I recall the heron reference and the European Union jokes (when everyone booed I wondered whether he knew we were booing the joke or the EU) but I have no clue whether you're having me on with Tim Spall flashing up on screen.

I did want to stay for Vinny, but when the rains came down after Skepta the rest of the group headed to the tent to cry about Brexit. I had a thoroughly grand time at Dakhabraka and then grudgingly headed back to Cox the silly bitches back to life with tequila. The sacrifices I make.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was there and I recall the heron reference and the European Union jokes (when everyone booed I wondered whether he knew we were booing the joke or the EU) but I have no clue whether you're having me on with Tim Spall flashing up on screen.

Sadly I can't find any online evidence*, but IIRC it was a still from Mike Leigh's Life Is Sweet, on which Spall played the character Aubrey.

Or is it Jimmy Nail that I'm thinking of....?

*Apart from a clip of a different track filmed by someone standing right behind our entire skwad.

Obviously he may have chosen the money of Reading and Leeds instead, but the worst thing is this is the year Glastonbury could have landed Kendrick Lamar. Who knows when he'll come back to Europe again. I have very little doubt he will continue to deliver musically but this would have been perfect timing, with almost everything he's released to date golden.

Not that it matters, but if he was offered it I think he'd have taken it in a heartbeat, with him seeing Jay-Z and Kanye do it before etc.

Edited by Sketchead

16 minutes ago, Sketchead said:

Obviously he may have chosen the money of Reading and Leeds instead, but the worst thing is this is the year Glastonbury could have landed Kendrick Lamar. Who knows when he'll come back to Europe again. I have very little doubt he will continue to deliver musically but this would have been perfect timing, with almost everything he's released to date golden.

Not that it matters, but if he was offered it I think he'd have taken it in a heartbeat, with him seeing Jay-Z and Kanye do it before etc.

It seems that R+L paid millions to land him. He's only about in August (probably due to the massive payday he's getting there) so Glastonbury wouldn't really have been in contention. If anything, it's good that Reading gets him this year and he can do all the June/July festivals in 2019 and stop by at Glastonbury in the middle. I'm not convinced on him being arsed about playing a gig that Kanye and Jay did but there doesn't seem to be much else that can realistically take him away from Glastonbury.

The thing I'd worry about is the backlash against the R+L lineup being misreported as fury at Kendrick Lamar and two dozens other rappers/rap groups being booked, when in reality he's the only headline booking that's being praised.

Edited by dentalplan

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The thing I'd worry about is the backlash against the R+L lineup being misreported as fury at Kendrick Lamar and two dozens other rappers/rap groups being booked, when in reality he's the only headline booking that's being praised.

Seems to have already happened - on the basis of a couple of tweets.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Seems to have already happened - on the basis of a couple of tweets.

I know, I mean worry about the repercussions. The festival will obviously still be wary because of Kanye, so if the papers are saying that Kendrick is another figure that has folk slamming the festival then they’d probably think about avoiding him.

I'd have to assume that the people who make the final call - Emily, Nick and (presumably) Michael - aren't so daft as to have their minds changed by the tabloid press.  Like anyone else theyll monitor their owm industry and will know that Kendrick is hot right now and Panic At The Disco ain't.

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd have to assume that the people who make the final call - Emily, Nick and (presumably) Michael - aren't so daft as to have their minds changed by the tabloid press.  Like anyone else theyll monitor their owm industry and will know that Kendrick is hot right now and Panic At The Disco ain't.

Yer, hopefully. Emily is definitely woke enough to know that outrage culture dictates that there’s a backlash to everything nowadays and anyone likely to be tarring Yeezy and Kdot with the same brush is veiling their racism fairly poorly and shouldn’t be ceded to.

• Upvote 1