What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

Probably going to a few more gigs than I'd normally would at this time of year as I don't have the worry that they may play Glastonbury anyways.

Also just text my Glastonbury pals to reminisce about last year in the hopes they will go again next year (last year they said that was their last) as they are the ones that always manage to get the tickets on ticket day!

4 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Probably going to a few more gigs than I'd normally would at this time of year as I don't have the worry that they may play Glastonbury anyways.

Also just text my Glastonbury pals to reminisce about last year in the hopes they will go again next year (last year they said that was their last) as they are the ones that always manage to get the tickets on ticket day!

Even if they don't go get them to still try and get you one!

19 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Even if they don't go get them to still try and get you one!

Oh I will! I'm hoping they won't mind. I'll also be trying for coach tickets this year. Previously I've traveled down to London and then we have made our way together from there. Whereas if I'm just going alone then I can travel direct from Glasgow. 

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Oh I will! I'm hoping they won't mind. I'll also be trying for coach tickets this year. Previously I've traveled down to London and then we have made our way together from there. Whereas if I'm just going alone then I can travel direct from Glasgow. 

Makes sense, at least get double go at tickets if unlucky with coach. Don't relish your journey though.

2 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Don't relish your journey though.

Yes, it's incredible what effort some people are prepared to go to in order to get to Glastonbury. I would doubt that I'd go to a festival in Scotland from the Midlands, because of the long journey. That said, if you threw in a trip to the west coast of Scotland too, then I would be tempted.

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, it's incredible what effort some people are prepared to go to in order to get to Glastonbury. I would doubt that I'd go to a festival in Scotland from the Midlands, because of the long journey. That said, if you threw in a trip to the west coast of Scotland too, then I would be tempted.

Boomtown will be the furthest I've gone for a festival, but it isn't a patch on travelling from Scotland. I think I'd break doing a coach journey from there to Glastonbury. 4/5 middle of the night/early morning drive does me! 

I can't contemplate not getting tickets in October. :mellow: 

Lots going on in between now and then though!

4 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Boomtown will be the furthest I've gone for a festival, but it isn't a patch on travelling from Scotland. I think I'd break doing a coach journey from there to Glastonbury. 4/5 middle of the night/early morning drive does me! 

I can't contemplate not getting tickets in October. :mellow: 

Lots going on in between now and then though!

I've done Birmingham to Bestival (when it was on the Isle of Wight) a number of times. I'd say that that was about my limit. The driving there is alright, because you're all excited etc. It's the long drive back that I'm not keen on. I'm nearly always the driver, so historically, that has meant staying relatively sober / sane on the Sunday / Sunday night of a festival. I have a campervan now though, so that has changed things a fair bit. One of the benefits that I have found with the campervan is having the licence to just not get up on Monday morning. Many festivals ask you to be off site by 12 noon on the Monday, but I've never had any hassle staying much beyond that. I may even try to build in a trip to the coast after BoomTown in order to convalesce. Available time and money will determine that one, closer to the date.

13 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Makes sense, at least get double go at tickets if unlucky with coach. Don't relish your journey though.

Done Glasgow to Boardmasters before so I’m sure I’ll survive! Headphones on and close my eyes for a kip. It’s usuallt an overnight bus they do. Think about 8 hours. 

18 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Done Glasgow to Boardmasters before so I’m sure I’ll survive! Headphones on and close my eyes for a kip. It’s usuallt an overnight bus they do. Think about 8 hours. 

I did the bus once from Glasgow and it was ok and yeah 8 hours. 

Was just me and two 8 year olds as the Mrs had to work so it was ......an experience:-)

Top tip. We flew back up from Bristol for about 30 odd quid if I remember so always an option if you don’t get a coach ticket.

Think it was easy jet. Less than an hour :-)

Update: This June I'm either doing 3 days walking near Glossop or 3 weeks working in Tokyo.

Confirmed festivals for me and the youngest are are Green Man, Chalfest and Womad. 

Stroud Fringe Festival (my town) is cancelled for 2018 as they had unexpectedly attracted 25,000 visitors in 2017 to the free event making it rather tricky to manage.  The festival will return in 2019 when both the funding and infrastructures are sturdier.

I was looking at IoW or Kendal but I've been in the US the last 10 days or so and got 3 weeks in total.  Got a few more places still to go but so far it's been incredible. Loads of bars with live bands making me feel the magic of the smaller vebues at glastonbury.

Ideally doing a shorter version next year of flying into Atlanta then Memphis and Nashville again and maybe Smokey mountains if it's good when we reach there. So no more festivals for me as I've got to save like a maniac. 

Sun Studios was the single best place I've ever been. $14 of the best money I've ever spent. 

IMG_20180318_175800_892.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful Days for me. A welcome return for me after a long absence, did 2004-2009 and then life got in the way and have missed out since then. My Glastonbury gang were after an alternative this year so I persuaded them that Beautiful Days was the ideal replacement fighting off other festivals such as Latitude (yawn). Luckily the lineup has vindicated my choice and I cannot wait to get back to Escot.

The weekend before I'll be at Bloodstock as per usual.

I too am getting married this year which i think I've mentioned before.

The good lady wanted my "influence" on the wedding day & the table names (recently decided) are as followed:

Ciderbus (top table)

The Avalon Inn

Brothers Bar

Ridge n Furrow

The Cornish Arms

Spike Bar

Bread n Roses

Beat Hotel

The Kasbah

The Meeting Place

:D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I too am getting married this year which i think I've mentioned before.

The good lady wanted my "influence" on the wedding day & the table names (recently decided) are as followed:

Ciderbus (top table)

The Avalon Inn

Brothers Bar

Ridge n Furrow

The Cornish Arms

Spike Bar

Bread n Roses

Beat Hotel

The Kasbah

The Meeting Place

:D

Should make anyone sitting at the Kasbah sit in / on the ground.

Also, spike should be a table in a tree.

Make getting to the beat hotel table really difficult, although the table itself should be relatively free.

Avalon Inn table should have an upstairs balcony.

The brothers bar table should be encouraged to dump all their plates and glasses onto the ground.

Edited by cammie81
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Heather90 said:

I was looking at IoW or Kendal but I've been in the US the last 10 days or so and got 3 weeks in total.  Got a few more places still to go but so far it's been incredible. Loads of bars with live bands making me feel the magic of the smaller vebues at glastonbury.

Ideally doing a shorter version next year of flying into Atlanta then Memphis and Nashville again and maybe Smokey mountains if it's good when we reach there. So no more festivals for me as I've got to save like a maniac. 

Sun Studios was the single best place I've ever been. $14 of the best money I've ever spent. 

IMG_20180318_175800_892.jpg

So want to do Memphis, Nashville and new orleans.  On bucket list. Not fussed about test of U.S. to be honest.

Stewarding for oxfam at beautiful days! Havent done this before for oxfam or beautiful days! Any tips or meet ups wud be great! Also stewarding at Larmer tree and oceanfest! But still get my head around glastonburys not happening! Will give the others a fair chance though! Glastonbury will always be home wellies an all! 

On 21/03/2018 at 2:53 PM, slash's hat said:

So want to do Memphis, Nashville and new orleans.  On bucket list. Not fussed about test of U.S. to be honest.

New Orleans was not so great. An awful lot of poverty and full of spring break kids. Similar vibe to magaluff on Bourbon street and the drive to memphis was long and boring. To be fair we didn't go to Frenchman street.

Memphis and Nashville are so different to each other but wonderful places. The music and history is everywhere and people are so friendly.

We just booked a cheap hire car and stayed mostly in motels and got a great deal on flights. I went on a 14 day cheesy Spanish beach holiday and Glastonbury last year. I've spent about the same this year on a 3 week trip.

Prepare for it to be like ticking Glastonbury off a bucket list - bloody expensive when you have to keep going back year after year! 

Edited by Heather90