What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

9 hours ago, OG said:

Contemplating Beat Herder but can only find minimal info on it to say how long it's been running. Anybody been and got any info they would like to share

Last year was the 10th anniversary. I had a great time personally. Very young, chavvy and druggy in parts (avoid the Fortress  and you should be ok) but lots of people from all ages all having a good time and a really good mixed line up. Loads and loads of small stages and venues  to explore. The attention to detail that the organisers put into it is amazing. Does get very muddy though.

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

It's a bit like like an expensive village fete. Great for small kids but nothing for the teenagers.

However, they are completely silent and have been for a while so I am guessing it's died a death. There were new promoters last year and it wasn't packed out on either day. Shame, as for all its faults it's a great location (especially for me!).

Seems to be a few eFesters in the Greenwich/Lewisham area.

One lass from here lives in the next street down from me I think.

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thanks all.  Beatherder actually looks like a pretty good option for what's in mind, if possibly a bit less inviting weather-wise than Croatia and the like.

I am aware I have become a bit evangelical about Sziget but I do think it could offer what you're looking for.

More Glastonbury than specifically SE corner, but it does have a great World stage just next to a wonderful little glade with a Reggae/Afro/Latin stage. It's a really international festival so The West Holts vibe is definitely there.

Its as varied to explore as Glastonbury, although not as big (bigger than most festivals tho) It has a terrific chill out zone near a kind of 'beach' at one end of the island, it has a number of different dance stages. It has cabaret/theatre/circus like Glastonbury and it even has a classical stage. 

As you walk in you may be hit by how much more commercial it is, but that really makes no difference to the overall experience once you begin to immerse yourself. Beautiful Budapest, great weather...

The line up, even big names, carry on being announced right through to June, but it's already looking pretty good.

We ended up going for Saturday day tickets at Latitude in the end - we had thought about doing the whole weekend but the lineup didn’t excite us enough to warrant camping for 4 nights with a 4 month old baby!! 

Might try and also head to Glastonbury Abbey if we can... has anyone been to that before who can shed some light on what it’s like?

31 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Might try and also head to Glastonbury Abbey if we can... has anyone been to that before who can shed some light on what it’s like?

I was thinking of doing the Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza as well, I haven't been before so can't comment on what it's like. But friends who have been have been very complimentary and say it's a fun, chilled event. Any thoughts who could headline?

I ended up getting Boomtown tickets. I wasn't going to as I had nobody to go with, but my wife bought me them as an early birthday present and my friends are already in on it. I've no idea what to expect, it'll be my first time but most of the reviews are positive plus I'm heavily going off how much @eFestivals and a few others have talked it up! So no pressure Neil. :D

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I ended up getting Boomtown tickets. I wasn't going to as I had nobody to go with, but my wife bought me them as an early birthday present and my friends are already in on it. I've no idea what to expect, it'll be my first time but most of the reviews are positive plus I'm heavily going off how much @eFestivals and a few others have talked it up! So no pressure Neil. :D

:lol:

I reckon that even if you don't think you'll go back, you'll have plenty of fun as a first experience. Enjoy. :)

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So I was thinking I've already spent far too much on concerts/festivals this year, and need to slow down because i'll go broke if i'm not careful. But then I just found out I should be getting a tax rebate of around £2.5K so I'm wondering... what else should I do? :lol:

Should just about cover Burning Man!

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

What's the appeal of Burning Man anyway? I don't really know much about it but it doesn't seem like they get many notable acts playing there. Is it basically just living in Mad Max world for a few days?

Basically yeah. It's less of a music festival, more of a living art experiment. With fire. In the middle of nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Can certainly recommend s foreign festival - though Beni has a rep for being a bit ‘Brits abroad’.

mmmmm not my scene ..... tossing up between Sziget and Beni ..... all the UK festivals that appeal are either sold out, or on weekends where Ive already got stuff planned ... aaahhhhh need to make a decision and get planning. The beni line up seems to appeal to the masses  , including my festival buddies, and we've missed mad cool which I really liked the look of

Best Kept Secret is gonna be my main thing, but got a load of gigs lined up over the summer that should satisfy my Glasto itch:

- All Points East - LCD Soundsystem day
- All Points East - The National day
- Best Kept Secret
- The National - Donnybrook Stadium
- Foo Fighters - London Stadium
- BST - The Cure

Also hoping to get to a Stones date in but it's proving difficult to fit in, hoping the rumoured Villa Park date happens.

Edited by dj_tim

Going to see QOTSA at Finsbury park in June - but not doing any other festivals. Although Boomtown and 2000 trees line ups are looking ace and Boomtown in particular is very tempting. Going to travelling to Sicily  for my 30th though and then Canada in September so must save the pennies!

21 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I've been looking at Sziget, too. Trying to talk my mates into getting a 5 day ticket.

What are prices like in Budapest? I've never been but heard it can be fairly cheap. Trying to keep spending money as low as I can.

Mostly cheap. The festival is cheap - pints about £3 & cocktails and shorts generous and about £5. Eating out is about the same as here. The food stalls are about the same prices as Glastonbury. Basically, nothing is dearer than here, and lots of stuff is cheaper.

Accommodation is dirt cheap - especially if a group of you are sharing an apartment, and it is really good to get to see Budapest as part of your trip. It's hot so camping can be difficult, but there is plenty of shade tbf.

you can get a city pass that gets you all around the city including the boats, and free entry into the spas and swimming pools. It's well worth it.