What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

19 hours ago, amfy said:

I've only done Sziget but thoroughly recommend it.

Michael Eavis said it was the most like Glastonbury. It has lots of hidden areas and a massive range of music. Budapest is fantastic. The camping is shady with lots of options but it's also easy and cheap to stay in the city. Fantastic international atmosphere. It's cheap when you are there too - about £2.50 a pint and £4.50 a cocktail.

58 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

This is great info, thanks. I would love to do both but I think Benicassim is likely to work out too expensive when you take drinks etc into account there.

Sziget lineup probably edges it for me, too!

Sorry @amfy - forgot to actually quote you in my last message :lol:

Going to 4 festivals this summer:

Benacissim - Liam Gallagher, Travis Scott, The Killers

Mad Cool - Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam, Arctic Monkeys, Jack White, QOTSA

Way Out West - Kendrick Lamar, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys

Popaganda - No acts yet, last year headliners were Alt-J, Phoenix  and Tove Lo.

Its a great mix of acts in these festivals so I'm happy until Glasto 2019 :D

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I saw earlier that Festaff offer priority for Glastonbury 2019 places to people who volunteer for two events this year, if that’s useful to anyone. I’m not really sure if that’s a good exchange as I’ve never had to volunteer to get in to Glastonbury but seems like it might be savvy.

I'm biased, but would argue that working for Oxfam this year would be a better safety net, given that you can also get priority status with 2 festivals worked and get better terms and conditions (and for my taste, a better choice of festivals). They take about 2,500 to Glastonbury whereas Festaff is somewhere in the low hundreds so the numbers game works better as well.

30 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm biased, but would argue that working for Oxfam this year would be a better safety net, given that you can also get priority status with 2 festivals worked and get better terms and conditions (and for my taste, a better choice of festivals). They take about 2,500 to Glastonbury whereas Festaff is somewhere in the low hundreds so the numbers game works better as well.

Ah that sounds even better, cheers.

Really want to do a UK camping festival but all the lineups are either horrendous (Y Not, Kendal Calling, Truck etc) or too expensive for how much they appeal to me personally (EOTR and Bestival for example). Feel like I'm pinning all my hopes on Reading and Leeds having a good lineup which is almost certainly going to end in disappointment. 

Might volunteer somewhere but dunno if that'd take the fun out of it all, anyone volunteered at Green Man before by any chance?

I have Bearded Theory, Lets Rock North East, Splendour, Kendal Calling, Bestival, Hardwick Live and The Big Fake Festival, as well as a camping holiday to Weymouth, Holiday to Spain, and a little visit to the hallowed land that is Worthy farm. I’m barely home between June and September and I can’t wait!! 

Edited by Curlygirl

1 hour ago, Curlygirl said:

I have Bearded Theory, Lets Rock North East, Splendour, Kendal Calling, Bestival, Hardwick Live and The Big Fake Festival, as well as a camping holiday to Weymouth, Holiday to Spain, and a little visit to the hallowed land that is Worthy farm. I’m barely home between June and September and I can’t wait!! 

did you need to edit it to include one you left out :) wow thats a packed fallow year :)

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 7:40 PM, Wooderson said:

#sadtrombone

My dreams have officially been crushed. But there are some on the Bestival forum trying to talk themselves into believing that it's quite good. I officially give up, anyone got any ideas? Opener in Poland looks alright.

Edited by Homer

On 06/02/2018 at 1:30 PM, incident said:

So, having a) just seen the BoomTown lineup and thinking how class it looked, b ) friends who want to go to BlueDot over BoomTown as our Glastonbury replacement and c) already been victim to the reoccurring glastonbury refresh nightmares, I just signed up to volunteer for Oxfam this year...

I was wondering what the deal is with volunteering on bars though. I guess Oxfam don't do this? I think I'd be much more use on a bar, given my past experience, and probably enjoy it a lot more. Does anyone know how one goes about this? Or if working on a bar at one event gets you any closer to working on a bar at Glastonbury (if you fail to get a golden ticket)?

I noticed the volunteer opportunities direct with BoomTown aren't open until March, but maybe if you want a Glastonbury volunteer opportunity, its not best to go direct?

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

So, having a) just seen the BoomTown lineup and thinking how class it looked, b ) friends who want to go to BlueDot over BoomTown as our Glastonbury replacement and c) already been victim to the reoccurring glastonbury refresh nightmares, I just signed up to volunteer for Oxfam this year...

I was wondering what the deal is with volunteering on bars though. I guess Oxfam don't do this? I think I'd be much more use on a bar, given my past experience, and probably enjoy it a lot more. Does anyone know how one goes about this? Or if working on a bar at one event gets you any closer to working on a bar at Glastonbury (if you fail to get a golden ticket)?

I noticed the volunteer opportunities direct with BoomTown aren't open until March, but maybe if you want a Glastonbury volunteer opportunity, its not best to go direct?

I know nothing about volunteering at Boomtown bars and am intending to do an Oxfam run of Boomtown, Bestival and Beautiful Days to ensure I'm set up for a Glastonbury ticket next year (taking most of August off my day job and throwing myself into it!)

I did do bar work at the last Gkastonbury with Shelter though. It is hard work and total chaos, be prepared to work in a bar where things stop working and drinks run out with regularity to add to its charm. BUT - it's 3 X 8 hour shifts over the 5 days - which does leave plenty of time to enjoy the festival. I had an awful shift pattern that fell entirely in the weekend but still had a great time and would do it again.

The reasons I'd go for Oxfam though are that their duties (parking/wristbanding etc) are more weighted towards the festival lead up, whereas bar work is more weighted towards the main festival days. Also - Shelter insist on you travelling with them so you have to camp - no caravan/camper an option, and limited choice of travel times.

I have 2 friends who work Oxfam stewarding and they have now got to a point where they are so established that their shifts are never on music days!

For both though you get good camping with showers and free food. It's a good way of maximising your festivalling for minimal costs.

1 hour ago, amfy said:

I know nothing about volunteering at Boomtown bars and am intending to do an Oxfam run of Boomtown, Bestival and Beautiful Days to ensure I'm set up for a Glastonbury ticket next year (taking most of August off my day job and throwing myself into it!)

I did do bar work at the last Gkastonbury with Shelter though. It is hard work and total chaos, be prepared to work in a bar where things stop working and drinks run out with regularity to add to its charm. BUT - it's 3 X 8 hour shifts over the 5 days - which does leave plenty of time to enjoy the festival. I had an awful shift pattern that fell entirely in the weekend but still had a great time and would do it again.

The reasons I'd go for Oxfam though are that their duties (parking/wristbanding etc) are more weighted towards the festival lead up, whereas bar work is more weighted towards the main festival days. Also - Shelter insist on you travelling with them so you have to camp - no caravan/camper an option, and limited choice of travel times.

I have 2 friends who work Oxfam stewarding and they have now got to a point where they are so established that their shifts are never on music days!

For both though you get good camping with showers and free food. It's a good way of maximising your festivalling for minimal costs.

Cool, thanks for the reply! This sounds like exactly what I'm after.

I do quite like the chaos of bar work - but am I right in thinking this is not available at Oxfam? I see your point though about where the duties are weighted! I might still register with Shelter too to see what that brings up, although I guess when it comes to securing the Glastonbury ticket it's better to put all your eggs in one basket. And stewarding could be a good craic anyway :) (although I wouldn't have liked to be those poor guys stuck in the entrance tent on Wednesday of Glastonbury last year)

EDIT: Just had a look on Shelter's website, and I can't find anything about volunteering at festivals through them at all. Do you know if they only do Glastonbury? I think I'll go with the stewarding :)

Edited by Sasperella

I've just had a bit of a Google and I can't see it either at the moment, but yes, I think they do only do Glastonbury so they might have gone quiet with it being a fallow year. They definitely do it regularly. The link will probably start to appear later in the year. Registration is in about February of the year it's on. You sign up your interest, and then they email when it's time to sign up. You only get a couple of days notice and you have to be ready at about 10 am on a work day to be sure of getting a place. You have to go and do a one day training session.

You pay a £300 deposit to Shelter because the deal is that Avalon Bars give them £300 for every member of bar staff that complete their shifts. They basically insure that donation with your deposit. Oxfam also have a large deposit so that means that signing up for both can be costly - there is a cut off date for your money back too.

Oxfam do quite a wide range of tasks but they don't do bars. (You wouldn't have liked working a bar on that Wednesday either - tents are not shade, they are ovens)

• Upvote 1

I've had a change of plan. I now think that I'm going to try to squeeze and squeeze out a thingy magig. Why squeeze twice I hear you ask? It's  because I need it to go at twice the velocity that it would shoot out, under your proposal.  We need to terminate this 'thing' with extreme prejudice. If we don't, then the battle will be lost. Long live Bobby Self Mockery.

Jesus, would you ever look at them spanners in action.

Help me, help me!  lol

:)

7 hours ago, Sasperella said:

No, Oxfam don't (or at least, didn't in 2017) do bars at any Festivals anymore. I believe at Boomtown there's 2 main roles that are covered - Campsites and Venues. To simplify it a lot, Campsites is walking round, checking everything is OK. Venues is checking crowd levels and looking out for people doing something stupid. And in both cases it's also being a visible presence for people to go to if there's any issue.

I'm currently intending on working Boomtown (and a couple others) with Oxfam - apparently the places are likely to open to people with priority status at the end of February, and to the general public mid-March. As I understand it, both the Oxfam and Boomtown crews perform basically the same roles with broadly the same terms and conditions - Oxfam covering part of the site, Boomtowns crew covering another. But yes volunteering direct with Boomtown won't get you any closer to a Glastonbury place - remember though that with Oxfam, 2 festivals the previous year is the priority criteria. Doing 1 doesn't give you any more of an "in" than doing 0.

It looks like the bars at Boomtown are run by Peppermint Bars, so may be worth registering with them if that's your preference. Although as I don't think they have any presence at Glastonbury you probably wouldn't be able to use it as a connection there unless something changes.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, amfy said:

Oxfam do quite a wide range of tasks but they don't do bars. (You wouldn't have liked working a bar on that Wednesday either - tents are not shade, they are ovens)

Cool, thanks for all the great info :) Were you in a bar on the Wednesday??? I can imagine that would have been horrendous

15 hours ago, incident said:

I'm currently intending on working Boomtown (and a couple others) with Oxfam - apparently the places are likely to open to people with priority status at the end of February, and to the general public mid-March. As I understand it, both the Oxfam and Boomtown crews perform basically the same roles with broadly the same terms and conditions - Oxfam covering part of the site, Boomtowns crew covering another. But yes volunteering direct with Boomtown won't get you any closer to a Glastonbury place - remember though that with Oxfam, 2 festivals the previous year is the priority criteria. Doing 1 doesn't give you any more of an "in" than doing 0.

It looks like the bars at Boomtown are run by Peppermint Bars, so may be worth registering with them if that's your preference. Although as I don't think they have any presence at Glastonbury you probably wouldn't be able to use it as a connection there unless something changes.

Cool thanks. I might look into the bar at Boomtown and then do two others...Bestival and, not sure. Or just stick with Oxfam for everything. I always think the bar staff look like they're having a great time, but maybe thats just because I'm drunk and having a great time, and totally projecting that in to everyone else. Ha!

Do you have any idea how easy it is to get to volunteer at a festival of your choosing? Do you think that because Boomtown will likely sell out, it will be harder?

I think I've managed to convince a couple of my friends to sign up too, which is even more exciting :)

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Do you have any idea how easy it is to get to volunteer at a festival of your choosing? Do you think that because Boomtown will likely sell out, it will be harder?

It's kind of difficult to say because I don't know how the Glastonbury fallow year or the potential rise of Boomtown will change demand - and the list of festivals and the number of places available at each can change year to year - but generally speaking Glastonbury has been the only one that fills up shortly (within minutes) after public applications open. I think Boomtown places were available until about a month or so before the festival last year though I'd guess they'll go much sooner than that this time around.