What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

31 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah, i didn't say it was an outright lie, tho I don't think that possibility can be ruled out either.

They seemed to give up on the idea a bit soon and a bit too easily as far as I'm aware, when they might have followed thru and started it this year. I don't really see why it needs 4 years planning when new festivals are started all the time and he has experienced staff at his finger-tips.

There's enough bits and pieces around it to think it might have been a ploy with the Pilton landowners, even if there was more intent to it than only a ploy.

Bit of a dick move to get peoples' hopes up for a new fest if they weren't that serious about it going ahead.

But yeah like you said it's all gone very quiet on that front, you'd think they'd want to talk a bit about it in the fallow year.

I wasnt going to do a festival, I really wasnt.....but fuck it im going download! This lineup is stellar, going thourgh it I count about 18-20 bands already id happily see, and still more to be announced. g&r on the saturday night is just the cherry on the cake.

Be the first time ive been back since 04, much as I love glastonbury for the whole experience and the site and the people I go with........itll be nice to do a proper metal fest again and be solely there for the music

dllineup.jpg

On 13/01/2018 at 2:35 AM, bamber said:

Hay and Edinburgh for me. Long overlooked and overdue.

Bamber X

If you go to Hay, make sure to get tickets for the alternative Hay festival - How The Light Gets In... it does philosophy and music and this year they've got The Correspondents heading the bill.

I've been convinced to get a Shambala ticket, but we're still thinking of one other - Boomtown/Bestival...Wildnerness?? My preference definitely goes in that order.

My friends want to wait until the lineups drop. Does anyone know when that might be??? When will they put us out of our misery!

And given that we expect Boomtown to sell out quicker than normal, so we think this could be before the tickets sell out?

Last time there was a fallow year I went to Reading and Bestival. 

2011 I even last minute booked the Big Chill in 2011 a few weeks after Glastonbury for more Chemical Brothers action along with Kanye West etc.

This year I'm heading to Mad Cool in Madrid for my first festival abroad, absolutely buzzing with that lineup. Also will probably do something in the uk, probably a day ticket at Reading, got Arcade Fire, Sam Smith and the Foo Fighters already booked in as well. 

Should do nicely through to 2019. 

13 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Womad..... Chalfest..... Green Man..... Secret Rabbit Hole party.... Pennine Way.... Greece. 

There are enough Green Man goers amongst us to organise an EFests meet.

Went to Benicassim a few years ago. I liked it. It's basically in a car park and the rhythm of the day was a nice variation on the standard festival one:

10AM have to get up cos it's so fucking hot (we camped)

Wander down through the town, get some food for lunch & drinks and lay on the beach drinking. Maybe go for a swim

Tea time, find a restaurant, have some amazing food and some more booze

Go back and shower. Around 7 or 8 head into the site

Lots of good times

Music finished around 3 or 4 I think

(Organise your trip back to the airport better than we did - some dody geezer in a local cafe who, it turned out, didn't even know where the airport was. Nearly missed our flight :| )

On 2 February 2018 at 10:00 AM, DareToDibble said:

My friends and I have  been discussing either Benicassim or Sziget. Line up for either looks pretty solid.

Has anyone been to either/both and would recommend them?

Benicassim.jpg

Sziget.jpg

I've only done Sziget but thoroughly recommend it.

Michael Eavis said it was the most like Glastonbury. It has lots of hidden areas and a massive range of music. Budapest is fantastic. The camping is shady with lots of options but it's also easy and cheap to stay in the city. Fantastic international atmosphere. It's cheap when you are there too - about £2.50 a pint and £4.50 a cocktail.