What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

Nos Alive in Lisbon. We booked before any of the line up was announced because the combination of a beach/city break with a festival with a decent pedigree suited us.

It seems to be picking up a lot of the same line up as Mad Cool, and strangely, a lot of bands who we haven't seen before, or haven't seen for a long time - so it's working out well!

Iam also thinking of trying to work 3 festivals with Oxfam to give me Glastonbury priority next year in case I don't get a ticket. - due to the constraints of other commitments I am going to try to do Bestival, Boomtown and Beautiful Days on consecutive weekends in August and just take pretty much the whole month off if the boss will let me!

Edited by amfy
Thought of something else

Missing Glastonbury a bit at the moment, however, i'm quite happy there is a year off as it means I can do other (boring) things.

Although, quite excited to try Houghton this year. The lineup last year was solid - hopefully, I can snag a ticket and this year will be just as good

Will be good to see some solid dance acts + 24/hr licence is mad. As much as I love Glastonbury's licence I wish some music did go on longer than 6 am. Sometimes that 6am-9am period in the stone circle can get a little too weird... if you know what I mean

houghton 2017.jpg

Very happy to be returning to Bearded Theory, for the sixth time, the addition last week of Robert Plant added to my excitement. As ever, working the Ramsbottom Head for the Hills Festival too.

And on the Africa theme, heading off the day after ticket day (Presuming I have the date right), two weeks around Cape Town and the Western Cape, and then a National Geographic tour through Zimbabwe and Botswana. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoBalls said:

Thanks @jyoung, @Homer, @giantkatestacks and @Yoghurt on a Stick

And congrats to both @Hugh Jass and @John the Moth on your impending arrivals too!! I wonder just how many fallow year efests babies there will be arriving in 2019... :lol: 

@Superscally is sneaking one out quickly in the fallow year too! He swears it's a coincidence but I don't believe him!

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2018 at 9:07 PM, BlueDaze said:

I am trying Bearded Theory for the first time this year... (just my wife and I)

and then Latitude in July as per normal (worried that this is a festival in decline though..)

I like the idea of dong something on Glastonburyw weekend though.. May just take the caravan away and get pissed in a field.

I've only been to Latitude once (years ago) and quite enjoyed how laid-back it was, though the music side wasn't that great. How does it feel like it's declining...?

On topic, quite looking forward to having a year off from festivals to be honest. I kind of feel like I've seen it all and done it all, hopefully a year off entirely will reinvigorate me on festivals (been to 7 Glastos with only a couple of missed years, as well as a few other fests stretching back 16 years).

Congrats @JoBalls , @John the Moth and all the others due new arrivals. Excellent use of the fallow year. :D 

I always wondered why you didn't get to last year's festival @Yoghurt on a Stick, and now I know! 

Can't wait to see your completed log cabin by the way!!

Edited by vintagelaureate

12 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Congrats @JoBalls , @John the Moth and all the others due new arrivals. Excellent use of the fallow year. :D 

I always wondered why you didn't get to last year's festival @Yoghurt on a Stick, and now I know! 

Can't wait to see your completed log cabin by the way!!

Apologies vintagelaureate - I have mentioned the reason for my not going before. I don't really like to mention it because it's all a little embarrassing. I still owe you a few drinks on that front, so hopefully will see you in a festival field somewhere so can do the honours.

I said log cabin, when a better description would be a timber cabin. It doesn't have the log effect. It is double glazed and has a roof light as well as a solid fuel burner. It actually looks (or will look) like this when re-constructed;

Image result for dunster cabin

Have a pretty busy year coming up.

Myself and the missus are doing a few city breaks this year starting with Dublin next week and Venice in April.

Have also booked to go see Liam Gallagher in Berlin in March.

Festival wise, im off to Kendal Calling this year with the usual lot I go to Glastonbury with so looking forward to that.

14 minutes ago, Wakey321 said:

Have a pretty busy year coming up.

Myself and the missus are doing a few city breaks this year starting with Dublin next week and Venice in April.

Have also booked to go see Liam Gallagher in Berlin in March.

Festival wise, im off to Kendal Calling this year with the usual lot I go to Glastonbury with so looking forward to that.

I hope you've got lots of money. My stepson has just come back from Dublin and informs me that he was having to pay 6.60 Euros for a  pint!!!  I don't know how they can afford to get pissed over there, but they do!

Booked up for Boomtown this year. Never been so looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about, really looking forward to not knowing anything atall really about it.

Considering Bearded Theory as well if finances permit, so would be two new festivals to check out. :)

Now to think of something over that June weekend, as I really will miss it this year. Come to think of it, I already miss the build up buzz and anticipation of it all.

Edited by joeltg

Booked Bearded Theory.  Will be my first time and I'm really looking forward to it.  Robert Plant was recently announced as a headliner and although I'm not really into him, it's a great booking for the festival in my opinion.

Spain for a long weekend in June with some friends, should be a laugh.

Going to Japan for 12 days in October with my boyfriend and it looks highly likely ticket day will fall whilst we are there!  Gunna have to locate a good internet cafe beforehand.

All a bit up in the air for me this year due to ongoing dodgy knees.

Glastonbury last year was a real struggle and they have deteriorated since then. Currently i'm at a stage where surgery is needed in at least one knee, but consultant surgeon is unclear exactly what needs doing for the best outcome as apparently it is unusual to have a 25mm lump of cartilage hanging off the back of the knee!

Have booked for a couple of day events in London (QOTSA and Nick Cave/Patti Smith) and will probably risk Bearded Theory as its small and flat, although may have to buy a camp bed as not sure if sleeping  on (and getting up from) my normal Thermarest mat is still feasible.

12 hours ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

I'm running the London Marathon this year for my 50 th birthday. It's on my bucket list.

Im also volunteering at Mutiny, Buddhafield and Reading festivals 

Good luck with the marathon. I had a place for this year but have deferred it to 2019. Babies and marathon training don’t mix well.

• Upvote 1

Looks like i will be going to the Isle of Wight. was originally thinking Green Man Festival but I could  pull together all the logistics of getting to the Isle of Wight  quickly and easily whereas transportation to Green Man was a bit up in the air. I am excited. :)

Edited by JacquelineS

Booked The National and Nick Cave APE days and have a charity volunteer spot booked at Latittude. I am tempted by a end of summer festival ( No6 or EoTR) and maybe a day at Blue Dot if line up works out well. It really is a big void to fill!

On 13/01/2018 at 1:10 PM, evilduck said:

Going to Mad Cool and then having a few days in Valencia afterwards. Haven't done a European festival in a few years so looking forward to it a lot!

I'm doing almost exactly this. Haven't been to a European since Fest since Hurricane 2011. 

--

Bought Liverpool Sound City tickets on a whim when they were cheap and it was returning to the city centre. Also bought tickets for Bjork & LCD Soundsystem APE days. 

Would have liked to have done Psych Fest again but they're having a fallow year too. I'll probably try and get away somewhere else too or maybe get to Festival No.6.