What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nomad are pretty much the same deal - they just dont market in the UK so it tends to be a pretty international crowd. And their trucks tend to be in a bit better nick.

I’ll have a closer look at their website, the trips I’ve done have had a mix of nationalities, mostly kiwis, Aussies and South Africans, last trip we did in Africa coincided with the first ashes test 4 years ago, not fun on a truck full of aussies..

Been to at least 1 festival every year since I was 16 (25 now) so having a year off it all. It's my favouite thing to do but I also love hot beach holidays and I've not been on one of them in 7 years, hoping to mix it up this year. Got that monster QOTSA gig to get me through.

Think it's one of the things that makes Glastonbury better, having a year off. It' hard now but it's good to have a bit of a reset button and let everything breath for a bit. Without it our headliner repeatedness would be up there with download and R&L which no one needs.

Edited by priest17
Fixing some of the more obvious typos

Festival - wise we're booked for Green Man, but Glasto weekend time will be busy with different parts of the family visiting from Australia and Indonesia... 

We got married in the last fallow year...so it'll be our 6th anniversary too. 

Going to Bearded, which I usually do in addition to Glastonbury so don't think that counts, but still weighing up adding another festival, just don't know which  one yet.

Got a family trip to Iceland next month plus my job will almost certainly cease to exist at some point this year so I probably shouldn't book anything else but I can't go from the end of May to next year without a festival. 

Thinking of one in September to spread the events out.

I've booked tickets for Boomtown as an alternative - not that I turn up to Glastonbury nowadays anyway! I think it's fair to say that my Glastonbury days are now over. Some will know that I gave my ticket for last year's Glastonbury away to a desperado. I didn't even sell it. That was one lucky person. 

I'm supposed to be getting an AirB&B off the ground shortly, so summer activities are going to be a bit of a no no. I've bought a fuck off and die log cabin type of thing. Now all I have to do is construct it. Not exactly something I am looking forward to, but it's got to be done. The idea is to let out the cabin on a B&B type basis. Ideally I want it to have solar power and an external compost toilet. It also has an open fire and seating area.The compost toilet I can handle, but haven't got the foggiest clue about solar power. I know where to source the solar power kit, but don't actually know what I need - which leaves me back at square one really. If there are any solar power wizards out there, then please feel free to PM me with advice. I would be eternally grateful.

I'm hoping to start on the foundations this week. I've been putting it off for too long now. The actual construction after that is fairly simple - kind of. I say kind of because I know how it fits together after the base frame has been fitted, but can't recall how the base frame is constructed. Oh well, I'll work something out.

If any of you fine fun loving lunatics would like to come and stay in the spring, summer, autumn, then also feel free to PM me. We live in Bridgnorth in Shropshire, which is a beautiful town to visit. It has a High Town and a Low Town, with each being separated by the glorious River Severn (Sabrina). 

Anyway, apologies for the advertisement. I hadn't intended to start this post off selling my wares (I hope that you don't mind Neil)?, but as I started writing it occurred to me that slightly care free / hedonistic efesters might be interested. 

So, that's kind of going to be my summer really. I'd love to go to the Landed Festival again as well as Something Else in the Dean. The later festival is more realistic given that it's in September. The Landed Festival is in August and we'll already be taking time out for Boomtown as it is. I do hope Boomtown is good fun though, as I think her indoors would have preferred the Landed Festival. 

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so will leave it there. 

37 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've booked tickets for Boomtown as an alternative - not that I turn up to Glastonbury nowadays anyway! I think it's fair to say that my Glastonbury days are now over. Some will know that I gave my ticket for last year's Glastonbury away to a desperado. I didn't even sell it. That was one lucky person. 

Just out of interest....why are your Glastonbury days over but not your Boomtown's? You probably have mentioned this before...i've had a bit of efests hiatus :)

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Just out of interest....why are your Glastonbury days over but not your Boomtown's? You probably have mentioned this before...i've had a bit of efests hiatus :)

Hello Saperalla,

The Glastonbury thing is mainly, but not solely, because my wife doesn't want to go there again. I could go on my own (with her blessing) but would rather not spend my limited time on this planet away from her. I have been to the Glastonbury festival for many many years, and seen the transformation of it over time. My wife considers it too big and prefers smaller festivals (as in much smaller). For my part I'll be honest and say that Glastonbury is no longer the festival that I knew, and loved. That's why it is easier for me to hang my Glastonbury spurs up than I thought it would be. I did get a ticket for last year (love you vintagelaureate) but, in the end, couldn't leave my wife on her own, so gave my ticket away for free. I then took her to Wales in the campervan while the festival was on.

Strangely enough, later last year I did actually have to go to a festival without my wife. It's a long story, but there would have been friendship fireworks had I not gone with one of my mates. He had a ticket, I had a ticket, and my wife had a ticket to the Equinox Festival. At the last minute my wife decided that she really wasn't going to go. I had to respect her wishes, but kind of had to go, so that one of our friends wouldn't be left going on his own. He'd have gone mental if at least one of us hadn't gone with him. 

In terms of Glastonbury last year, I really only wanted to go in order to go to the efestivals meet up. I so so wanted to meet the people I have talked to on here for years. Alas, it wasn't to be. 

In terms of Boomtown, I haven't actually been before. I know it's still a large festival but somehow managed to buy tickets for it in a drunken moment. I think that was, yet again, because I knew that efesters would possibly be meeting up. It's probably well known on here that I don't go to festivals primarily for the music. It's mostly to spend quality time away from 'normal' life with my wife and mates. It'll be just me and my wife going to Boomtown though. It's not exactly the festival that she would have chosen to go to, but I've gone and bought the tickets now. That said, it'll be a new festival for us, and it's time we spent a festival together without having friends around. 

I'm just praying that she doesn't pull a fast one again at the last minute and say that she doesn't want to go. I think that if that happens I'll go in to further mental breakdown! Actually, in reality, I may go on my own if that happens rather than waste the tickets (we've got a campervan ticket too). I'd, yet again, probably give the spare ticket away. If you put a gun against my head and said what way do you think that it will pan out in reality, I'd probably opt for me going on my own. I think that would be the safer bet. Time will tell.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:34 PM, BlackHole2006 said:

Nice one, what’s it like for night life?  By the looks of it all bars are condensed into one place but could be entirely wrong

Can't really help you there tbh, I didn't see much, but I wasn't really looking for it. There was one popular pub tho, had the word 'folk' in the name I think.

22 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Thanks @jyoung, @Homer, @giantkatestacks and @Yoghurt on a Stick

And congrats to both @Hugh Jass and @John the Moth on your impending arrivals too!! I wonder just how many fallow year efests babies there will be arriving in 2019... :lol: 

I’m wondering how many 0-2 year olds will be at 2019’s festival. I’m already looking at campervan options  for the first time :P

I might just be kidding myself though :blink:

28 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I’m wondering how many 0-2 year olds will be at 2019’s festival. I’m already looking at campervan options  for the first time :P

I might just be kidding myself though :blink:

You’re taking a different angle to us, we are already warming up the grandparents to the idea of their grandson coming to stay for 5 days and nights... :D 

12 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

You’re taking a different angle to us, we are already warming up the grandparents to the idea of their grandson coming to stay for 5 days and nights... :D 

Unfortunately, extended babysitters isn’t an option for us, either we all go, or none of us well maybe just me but I’m not looking forward to putting that idea to the missus  ha ha.

Edited by John the Moth
Flow

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

Thanks @jyoung, @Homer, @giantkatestacks and @Yoghurt on a Stick

And congrats to both @Hugh Jass and @John the Moth on your impending arrivals too!! I wonder just how many fallow year efests babies there will be arriving in 2019... :lol: 

Thanks Jo, and congrats to you too.

We’re securing the next generation of eFesters.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Congratulations to all of you who are looking forward to new arrivals & weddings.

My festival plans are Latitude and Boomtown.  

It is our 10th wedding anniversary in May.  I turn 40 the day before Boomtown and I intend to well and truly celebrate.

I'm also planning a big trip to America in November / December.

As sad as I am that it's a fallow year I have plenty to look forward to.