What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

I was just thinking about how normally around now I start properly counting down the weeks until Glastonbury... it’d be about 22 weeks to go! We’d all be fully obsessing about the lineup and overanalysing anything that could even slightly conceivably be lineup related. Alas, the fallow year has spoilt our fun for 2018.

So then I was wondering about you lovely people and wondered what you all have planned this Glastonbury-free summer? Are you doing an alternative festival? Going on holiday? Doing something else? Staying at home lamenting about the lack of Worthy Farm for 2018? 

Personally, I haven’t made any solid plans yet... we have a baby on the way fairly imminently, so it very much depends on how chilled he is, but we are hoping that we might be able to do at least a day at Latitude as it’s not too far from home and fairly family friendly. We’re also off to see Foo Fighters and Wolf Alice at London Stadium (sans baby) on what would have been Glastonbury weekend so at least we will get a little live music fix! We are also considering the idea of heading down to Glastonbury for the Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza!

25 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I was just thinking about how normally around now I start properly counting down the weeks until Glastonbury... it’d be about 22 weeks to go! We’d all be fully obsessing about the lineup and overanalysing anything that could even slightly conceivably be lineup related. Alas, the fallow year has spoilt our fun for 2018.

So then I was wondering about you lovely people and wondered what you all have planned this Glastonbury-free summer? Are you doing an alternative festival? Going on holiday? Doing something else? Staying at home lamenting about the lack of Worthy Farm for 2018? 

Personally, I haven’t made any solid plans yet... we have a baby on the way fairly imminently, so it very much depends on how chilled he is, but we are hoping that we might be able to do at least a day at Latitude as it’s not too far from home and fairly family friendly. We’re also off to see Foo Fighters and Wolf Alice at London Stadium (sans baby) on what would have been Glastonbury weekend so at least we will get a little live music fix! We are also considering the idea of heading down to Glastonbury for the Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza!

Tickets sorted for Bearded Theory , which I probably would have missed had it not been a fallow year in Somerset.

Got myself a new motorbike so intend to thrash around the country on that in the summer also.

Then when summer is over get ready for T day !!!!

• Like 1

Just bought our first house so all funds tied up in that for the foreseeable future. 

I do have a stag do in Lisbon in June as well as The National day of APE to look forward to as well. 

Other than that, I will be enjoying glorious walks in the Bedfordshire countryside instead of the smog of London!

36 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Personally, I haven’t made any solid plans yet... we have a baby on the way fairly imminently, so it very much depends on how chilled he is, but we are hoping that we might be able to do at least a day at Latitude as it’s not too far from home and fairly family friendly.

Congratulations! I'd like to give Latitude a go this year but may just end up going on holiday instead. We'll see!

Congrats! Impatiently waiting for line-ups to drop. 

Going to do Shindig again and am keeping everything crossed that Bestival pull something decent out of the bag.

Open to a European one too but will have to wait and see on that one. In the process of trying to get the (kiwi) Mrs Homer a visa - so any big holiday-type decisions will have to wait until that's done and dusted!

Edited by Homer

I'm getting married at end of July this year and as the majority of my friends go to the festival every year we are having my stag do in Dublin on what would have been the weekend of the festival.

The actual wedding day is also going to take up a lot of time for planning in the run up so that'll keep my mind busy i'm sure!

Honeymoon in the Maldives straight after the wedding then back to reality before heading to Perth in Australia for Christmas with my UK based family to visit my sister and her husband who live out there.

Obviously i'll have hooked myself a golden ticket in between times in October as well.

All in all I've got enough to be getting on with :D

Edited by JoeyT

I am trying Bearded Theory for the first time this year... (just my wife and I)

and then Latitude in July as per normal (worried that this is a festival in decline though..)

I like the idea of dong something on Glastonburyw weekend though.. May just take the caravan away and get pissed in a field.

Having done Glastonbury on and off for the past 50 years I've done my last one. Last year I discovered, rather belatedly, Green Man which has all the best features of Glasto without the hassle.  So that will be my main fest from now on. I also have Wychwood (I bought into their 'Ticket for Life' scheme a few years ago).  Wrapped round those I've got three Something Else in the Dean-run fests (Campfire in March, Hobofest in June - over what would normally be Glasto weekend - and finally SE in the Dean proper in September).

Between those I've got to fit in two holidays in France with Mrs GH so I think those will keep me occupied.

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

The current plan is to go to the festival site as it falls on my birthday weekend and have a picnic , a few ciders ... and a mooch about in my fancy dress.  

I quite fancy that. Seriously considering getting an airbnb that weekend. I've never been when the festival isn't off and I can't think of a better time than the fallow weekend.

Heading off to Africa again, god I love the place, I’m as enthusiastic about Africa as most on here are about Glastonbury. Probably doing a trip from Victoria falls to Zanzibar, it’s an organised overland trip in a converted truck, camping, seeing the sights, meeting the locals, drinking, cooking over a fire,  with the odd national park thrown in.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

Heading off to Africa again, god I love the place, I’m as enthusiastic about Africa as most on here are about Glastonbury. Probably doing a trip from Victoria falls to Zanzibar, it’s an organised overland trip in a converted truck, camping, seeing the sights, meeting the locals, drinking, cooking over a fire,  with the odd national park thrown in.

Which company will you use?  We went with Nomad from Cape Town to Vic Falls a few years back and would definitely recommend them.

We were looking at overlanding from Vic Falls up to Nairobi this year but it's just a bit too pricey given that Mrs CG refuses to camp any more and Tanzania is a fucking expensive place to safari.

17 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I'm getting married at end of July this year and as the majority of my friends go to the festival every year we are having my stag do in Dublin on what would have been the weekend of the festival.

The actual wedding day is also going to take up a lot of time for planning in the run up so that'll keep my mind busy i'm sure!

Honeymoon in the Maldives straight after the wedding then back to reality before heading to Perth in Australia for Christmas with my UK based family to visit my sister and her husband who live out there.

Obviously i'll have hooked myself a golden ticket in between times in October as well.

All in all I've got enough to be getting on with :D

I met a lad at Christmas that told me he had to have two stag do's.

When I asked him why his reply was

" My fist stag do was in Dublin - I can remember getting a taxi from the hotel to Temple Bar and then I came round two days later waiting to board the flight home , the bit in between was a blank and I can't even remember the first bar we went to getting out of the taxi "

• Upvote 1

Just booked a nice trip to Warsaw - Krakow - Prague end of March. Also got all three days at All Points East fest plus the National day. Also got three days ‘glamping’ in Snowdonia so I can finally climb Mount Snowdon. Still looking into the big festival that will replace Glastonbury but from the mumbling of my mates it looks like No.6 is the front runner. Plus looking into a longer trip to Asia at the end of summer. ☺️

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I quite fancy that. Seriously considering getting an airbnb that weekend. I've never been when the festival isn't off and I can't think of a better time than the fallow weekend.

if you see me on site in the dodgy fancy dress feel free to say hello ... did see you at the efest meet but didn't get a chance to say hello !!

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Which company will you use?  We went with Nomad from Cape Town to Vic Falls a few years back and would definitely recommend them.

We were looking at overlanding from Vic Falls up to Nairobi this year but it's just a bit too pricey given that Mrs CG refuses to camp any more and Tanzania is a fucking expensive place to safari.

We tend to use Dragoman, but we have used Absolute Africa in the past, it’s very much back to basics stuff, 2 man dome tents, cooking your own food participation safari, not luxurious at all. Just looked at nomad, they seem slightly more expensive than dragoman but do seem to do non camping trips, we tend to prefer camping, you can always upgrade occasionally if you are at a site with lodges. 

Edited by Smeble