Scotland Calling 2018

berger55

Aye, we've been going for the last couple of years. Its usually a cracking day out with the area filled with various punky types of all ages (and a fair few families).

We really like the ABC, its a 'wide' venue with a large stage so the viewing is pretty good, about 1700 capacity so not too big and a generally really friendly crowd. IMO its the best line-up that they've had as well!

Only downside is the usual shit O2 bar (they always have offers on though). As such, I highly recommend 'The State Bar' which is a cracking ale house (Lagers etc are available) less than 5 minutes walk away. You find its where a lot of folk go before/during/after gigs at the ABC. Pass outs are given (its a wrist band event) but don't get too pissed as occasionally they'll not let you back in. That said, I've  personally I've never had any issues with security there (we go to the venue quite a bit).

The 'downstairs' bar area turns into a Punk Market with all the bands various merch stands and you have a really nice vibe with the bands chatting before/after their respective sets (and there is always a queue to get a selfie with Charlie Harper...haha!)

You'll find that a lot of folk travel to it, there is always a large group who come up from Bristol for instance (regular and cheep flights from Easyjet) which just adds to the day.

As you can tell, we love it! Maybe see you there!

Spud!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the provided information, The State Bar sounds exactly what i need :). It sounds great, the line up is really awesome. Interesting bands! Are there different venues or take it all place at the ABC main stage?  It will be a full packed day of music.

Could it be sold out? So far I haven't planed my trip to Scotland, before the Glasgow trip with the festival I may do the Skye trail and some hikes in the Highlands. So maybe i should sort it out before all the tickets are sold out. 

I don't believe that its sold out as yet, but it usually does nearer the time. I'd expect with The Buzzcocks headlining that it'll sell out earlier this year mind...

With the exception of the after show which is in the ABC2, its all on the main stage in the ABC (roughly 20 minute changeover times).

If you are thinking of coming, I'd look into hotels quickly as it gets busy that weekend (and prices rise). That said, if you hunt around you should find a good deal.

Skye is beautiful, as are the Highlands. One thing though, Scotland is a lot bigger than you think (we've made this mistake ourselves), so depending on how much time you have, you might be better off concentrating on one area or you'll end up spending all your time traveling as opposed to really enjoying! Pack for all weathers of course, it really can be '4 seasons in one day' up here! :lol:

2 hours ago, spudthemariner said:

I don't believe that its sold out as yet, but it usually does nearer the time. I'd expect with The Buzzcocks headlining that it'll sell out earlier this year mind...

With the exception of the after show which is in the ABC2, its all on the main stage in the ABC (roughly 20 minute changeover times).

If you are thinking of coming, I'd look into hotels quickly as it gets busy that weekend (and prices rise). That said, if you hunt around you should find a good deal.

Skye is beautiful, as are the Highlands. One thing though, Scotland is a lot bigger than you think (we've made this mistake ourselves), so depending on how much time you have, you might be better off concentrating on one area or you'll end up spending all your time traveling as opposed to really enjoying! Pack for all weathers of course, it really can be '4 seasons in one day' up here! :lol:

Ok so I better hurry up for the tickets :).

Yeah, I will look for a flat in the centre of Glasgow to stay with my mates over that weekend.

I will be in Scotland for around 2 to 3 weeks. If I start on Skye, I will see how many time i will ned there and what i do after in the Highlands. I don't wanna spend all my time with travelling, some hikes, pub-nights and Whisky-tastings are on the list for sure.