Blur 2009 - BBC2

Gnomicide

I saw the Prodigy that night... still never regretted it. It was what I needed at the time.

I always found the love for the gig odd cos the people camping around us said they went to Blur and left. I spoke to someone a few years later (who became someone we now go to the festival with) - who did the same, he admitted he was worse for wear though.

Then on here people gave the gig 5 stars. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I saw the Prodigy that night... still never regretted it. It was what I needed at the time.

I always found the love for the gig odd cos the people camping around us said they went to Blur and left. I spoke to someone a few years later (who became someone we now go to the festival with) - who did the same, he admitted he was worse for wear though.

Then on here people gave the gig 5 stars. 

It was _terrible_ fuzz, honest. We’ve all been fucking with you for a decade. Soz.

:P

The Stones could have been the best ever, the start was incredible, as was the end. Bit it got a bit flabby in the middle. It was still amazing....

But...

Blur were incredible. Very much a band from my youth who I never thought I'd see again, and at the time it did seem quite secret as to what it would be like, as I THINK they'd only done a couple of warm ups before. (How brave is that!). I remember being amazed at some of the younger folk near us in the crowd going mental for it to. 

When Damon sat down and cried - just amazing. Genuinely seemed like a 'reunion' for all the right reasons.

Loved loved loved it.

(second only to Bowie :-) )

Flabby? Setlist was almost perfection.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Factory (Glastonbury) Girl
Wild Horses
Doom and Gloom
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
Honky Tonk Women
You Got the Silver
Happy
Miss You
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

I suppose that 2000 Light Years From Home and Can't You Hear Me Knocking lost a few people around me but as a fan they were great to hear. 

If I'm being hyper critical (which is difficult when it's your favourite ever gig), for the sake of a festival crowd they could have also dropped Doom & Gloom (though it was the single out at the time) and You Got The Silver (though Keef always does two songs and apart from Happy, I don't know which others he sings on that you could say are well known).  

So swap out:
2000 Light Years - Get Off of My Cloud
Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Shine A Light (with extended widdly bit for Mick Taylor)
You Got The Silver - Sweet Virginia
Doom & Gloom - Let's Spend the Night Together

55 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Flabby? Setlist was almost perfection.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Factory (Glastonbury) Girl
Wild Horses
Doom and Gloom
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
Honky Tonk Women
You Got the Silver
Happy
Miss You
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

I suppose that 2000 Light Years From Home and Can't You Hear Me Knocking lost a few people around me but as a fan they were great to hear. 

If I'm being hyper critical (which is difficult when it's your favourite ever gig), for the sake of a festival crowd they could have also dropped Doom & Gloom (though it was the single out at the time) and You Got The Silver (though Keef always does two songs and apart from Happy, I don't know which others he sings on that you could say are well known).  

So swap out:
2000 Light Years - Get Off of My Cloud
Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Shine A Light (with extended widdly bit for Mick Taylor)
You Got The Silver - Sweet Virginia
Doom & Gloom - Let's Spend the Night Together

Looking at the setlist it turns out I left the front a lot earlier than I thought, it was just too busy down there so went out and watched the rest from just by Le Grand Bouffe where I could easily access the toilets and Cider Bus. Thought it was half way through, but remember watching Wild Horses from there.

“Can’t You Hear Me” was superb. Rambler/Light Years could’ve been snipped. 

All the classic Glasters shows have bits you’d change. The Stones was a classic by Gimme Shelter. Bowie finished with I’m Afraid of Americans. Go figure.

Edited by Wooderson

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

“Can’t You Hear Me” was superb. Rambler/Light Years could’ve been snipped. 

All the classic Glasters shows have bits you’d change. The Stones was a classic by Gimme Shelter. Bowie finished with I’m Afraid of Americans. Go figure.

Personally I lover Can't You Hear Me but Rambler was my favourite bit of the set, that ain't going anywhere.

That and the lesser know "Turn the lights on, Patriiiiiick!" and "He lavs iiiiit!"

23 hours ago, Wooderson said:

It was _terrible_ fuzz, honest. We’ve all been fucking with you for a decade. Soz.

:P

Too many on here have said how great it was for it to be wrong.

I couldn't get a ticket for 2013. The stones didn't happen. It was James Corden's Glastonbury Carpool Karaoke, The Fast Food Rockers & Ed Sheeran who headlined... if my memory serves.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Too many on here have said how great it was for it to be wrong.

I couldn't get a ticket for 2013. The stones didn't happen. It was James Corden's Glastonbury Carpool Karaoke, The Fast Food Rockers & Ed Sheeran who headlined... if my memory serves.

Fast Food Rockers smashed it.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, Wooderson said:

Rambler/Light Years could’ve been snipped. 

On 1/3/2018 at 11:44 AM, Gnomicide said:

Personally I lover Can't You Hear Me but Rambler was my favourite bit of the set, that ain't going anywhere.

yep, Midnight Rambler was one of THE moments (of a few) of my greatest gig

Thing with The Stones was it was"The Stones at Glastonbury man" and something I'd dreamed of for years. And it was amazing, helped for me by an amazing supporting cast of Costello and Primal Scream. Was just a perfect evening.

Blur on the other hand for me was totally unexpected. My missus wanted to see them, and we were down by the side of the soundstage. Always been an Oasis fan and not to bothered about Blur.

They were absolutely mindblowing. It  was helped by a really good crowd of young'uns next to us - felt very life affirming to have confirmed that the yout' weren't all hoody wearing w*nkers as was being made out at the time.

I remember hearing people singing "Oh my baby"  hours after the gig at random parts of the site. 

Was the perfect Glastonbury gig - great band at top of their game and an ace crowd who were all up for it. 

Good times.

Edited by Ohinever

On 12/29/2017 at 6:18 PM, Wooderson said:

No one expected it to be as good as it was mate. We *hoped* it’d be ace like every headliner. By 5 songs in (Beetlebum?) it felt like the band had doused the entire crowd in catnip/petroleum/sherbet. When things dipped below *sheer bliss* it was to expose the audience to an emotional catharsis that only Glastonbury Festival can achieve. Only gig I’ve been to where grown men literally *burst* into tears of joy. Not me btw guv. 

I cried. A lot.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

Thing with The Stones was it was"The Stones at Glastonbury man" and something I'd dreamed of for years. And it was amazing, helped for me by an amazing supporting cast of Costello and Primal Scream. Was just a perfect evening.

Sorry, I can't agree with this part. Costello was boring and Scream were awful. Gillespie looked bored and spent the entire set getting the hump at the crowd for waiting for the Stones.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sorry, I can't agree with this part. Costello was boring and Scream were awful. Gillespie looked bored and spent the entire set getting the hump at the crowd for waiting for the Stones.

To be fair to Scream, Gillespie was getting annoyed with the fact people weren't getting involved. The crowd were only there for the Stones, so it was always going to be a tough one for Scream.

7 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

I was fucked.

My mate was sick all over himself on the floor in front of his other half and kids and had to be led off at the end of Primal Scream and missed the Stones. He spent the night in Glasto A&E.

We all tried to laugh at him while he was involuntarily redecorating his own clothing in front of his own progeny - but in truth it was just too tragic even for that.

He's not been allowed back since by his mrs. RIP.

3 minutes ago, mr flow said:

To be fair to Scream, Gillespie was getting annoyed with the fact people weren't getting involved. The crowd were only there for the Stones, so it was always going to be a tough one for Scream.

To be fair, he had exactly the same wobbly before Basement Jaxx in 2005 and had to be dragged off stage after, among other things. being a bit rude about Kylie getting cancer (if I recall correctly). So he had a while to get his head around the mechanics of a sub slot.

5 minutes ago, mr flow said:

And to be fair to the crowd, we've all seen Primal Scream five times before each (even if we didn't particularly want to - them's the rules apparently).