2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

New Titus Andronicus leaked last night so obviously I've listened to it a bunch of times already so initial thoughts - I really enjoy most of it but bloody hell the filler on this thing. Home Alone is the worst thing they've ever recorded, an 8 minute cock rock jam with a dull repetitive riff and very little in the way of lyrics. The Bob Dylan cover is great and puts a nice twist on that classic song but it's 9 minutes long and sits right next to Home Alone on the track listing - I'm not huge on having covers on albums at the best of times but this instance definitely feels like padding when the album's only 46mins.

But, er, Real Talk is the fuckin jam of the century and I want to be in a sweaty room bouncing and singing along to it ASAP. Beneath the sheer fun of that track (Paddy Stacks brought in an actual hype man to open and close the song, it's that level of silly) I really like how it calls back to The Monitor a little with its prophecy of 'a real big war'. The ballady tracks Crass Tattoo and Mass Transit Madness are nice but need more time to digest for me. And er, add the singles in and that's yer lot. It's a slim album, which makes the dodgy filler bits hurt it a fair bit. It's not a vintage album from them but there's plenty to love.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Begging favours kids, been completely out of the loop for the start of this year.  Any absolute recommendations from the first couple of months that I've missed?  Sure there's loads, but any bangers I should look up?

Hookworms and Car Seat Headrest are my current faves of the year. 

Oh and the 2 new Janelle Monae singles are off the chain. 

Edited by nikkic

I saw an interview with Superorganism the other week and thought the guy doing most of the talking was an annoying prick. Giving the album a listen out of curiosity though and despite kinda wanting to hate it, I can't, which probably says a lot about it. At the very least it's interesting but it could be great, time will tell.