2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

Think I enjoyed Hinds' album more than Goat Girls' on first listen, there's definitey more to get out of GG's on future listens though, looking forward to going back to it.

Ist Ist have brought an EP out today if you're into The Horrors/any of the other heavily influenced by Joy Division bands out there. Come a fair way over the years, sounds great.

Not sure I'll bother with The Courteeners' reworked debut, I still kinda like the original.

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I'm going to pick up some new music tomorrow - this thread moves at some pace - any recommendations that I may have missed over the last couple of months? 

I haven't picked up/downloaded much apart from the Jack White album. I might get the Goat Girl album, Sister Cities but then I have no idea what else...

Loving the new stuff from The Magic Band, Hookworms, MGMT, Nakhane and Ought.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You call anything a banger. I'd be interested to see if it can be done with a rock band not releasing any singles before the album is out and maintaining a level of hype - even Radiohead released a couple of songs in the days leading up to LP9 - but I can't imagine none of these tracks will be heard by 11th May, even if it's a leak or a live video from their next tour date.

Worth noting they only have one before the release - an intriguing one-off gig in LA on the 5th May. I agree that tracks will be heard before though. Ordered the vinyl yesterday but I'm not sure if I have the discipline to avoid any leaks

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Not sure I'll bother with The Courteeners' reworked debut, I still kinda like the original.

I've just had a listen to a bit of each track. I was after comedy value after hearing the reworking of Not Nineteen Forever which was hilarious, but it's mostly just shit and not even a laugh. Don't bother.

I will admit I do kiiiinda wanna listen to the proper version now though and I haven't done that for a couple of years. They probably get slagged off on here more than anyone but they were a solid band on those first three albums and 16 year old me was a big fan when I discovered them around when Anna came out.

28 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I've just had a listen to a bit of each track. I was after comedy value after hearing the reworking of Not Nineteen Forever which was hilarious, but it's mostly just shit and not even a laugh. Don't bother.

I will admit I do kiiiinda wanna listen to the proper version now though and I haven't done that for a couple of years. They probably get slagged off on here more than anyone but they were a solid band on those first three albums and 16 year old me was a big fan when I discovered them around when Anna came out.

Grew up in Manchester I was 14 when I first heard them and 15 when the debut came out and loved it, was well into the whole manc ladladlad indie thing, but think they had some decent stuff across the three albums, saw them like 13 times in 5 years and always had a laugh. Went back to the debut when the not 19 forever version came out (I pretty much stopped liking that song, and them, when they gave that song to united) and although I'd had a fair few pints it was a good nostalgic listen.

On 03/04/2018 at 1:30 PM, Vik Vinegar said:

New Wonder Years album has leaked :sungum:

Released Friday. AOTY contender, as usual with every TWY release.

Leaked like a week ago (well it was certainly a few day before this post :lol: ) so keep up :P . I've listened to it a few times now and I do really like it. Nice progression from NCTH. Not sure where I'd rank it within their albums. At the min it's TGG > Surburbia > The Upsides > Won't be Pathetic Forever > Sister Cities > NCTH > Get Stoked on It!

It is a grower so it may change over time. Anyway, I'm seeing them 3 times next week. They're my favourite band and Sorority Noise are my 2nd so it was a no brainier for me (and I need to get a life).

On 03/04/2018 at 5:02 PM, Mouseboy11 said:

I was always under the impression The Wonder Years were just another pop punk band a bit like The Story So Far. I've never actually listened to them, are they good then?

Worth a listen if you're into the scene. They started off really Pop Punk but they're slowly embraced Emo elements as they progressed. I say The Greatest Generation is where it peaked for me. My brother doesn't listen to Pop Punk anymore but still occasionally listens to The Wonder Years though that might be because I wont shut up about them. 

On 03/04/2018 at 6:33 PM, FloorFiller said:

They're certainly better than your average pop/punk act but I struggle to get the massive hype over them, but maybe that's just because I've generally grown out of most pop/punk. I've thought each of their albums was nice enough on a listen through (including the new one) but never felt much urge to go back.

I'd say they're easily the best Pop Punk band going by quite a bit and the only one that certainly do try to do new things and evolve. It's nothing revolutionary but they do what they do extremely well and think enough to garner the attention they deserve. They are far more deserving of attention than bands like Neck Deep or Moose Blood that's for sure.

On 06/02/2018 at 1:23 PM, priest17 said:

Goat Girl finally announced details of their debut (6th April) and a new song, been a while coming but I'm looking forward to it, they're bloody cool http://thequietus.com/articles/23996-goat-girl-new-single-debut-album

Have you listened to the album? 

I enjoyed it, I had only heard snippets prior to picking it up. They've definitely been influenced by Nick Cave, and I prefer the latter half of the album. I expect they'll be at a few festivals over summer!

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

@dentalplan mentioned them a while ago but City Calm Down's new album came out yesterday and is really good, this track is the standout for me. Also been enjoying new Daniel Avery and Wye Oak as well as what I've heard from the Kali Uchis album.

Their debut is great, looking forward to seeing if they've upped their game.....

3 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

@dentalplan mentioned them a while ago but City Calm Down's new album came out yesterday and is really good, this track is the standout for me.

Yeah I’m really impressed with it. Incredibly strong work.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is that Damon Albarn who pops up halfway through the Kali Uchis album?

Shit I hope this doesn’t mean he’s gonna be showing his face on the next Vince Staples release.