2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

Hey, did you pricks forget to tell me that the UMO album leaked a few days ago or did I just not read the post?

Anyway, pleased to report that it's proper good like. Know there was some scepticism about the pre-release tracks but they do work a lot better in context I feel and there's plenty of the funk-pop perfection that people love them for to go around, especially the absolutely gorgeous 'Hunnybee' which was the highlight for me on the first time through. Certainly has potential to be their best record and made a much better first impression that Mutli-Love so gonna keep listening to this thing.

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Hey, did you pricks forget to tell me that the UMO album leaked a few days ago or did I just not read the post?

Anyway, pleased to report that it's proper good like. Know there was some scepticism about the pre-release tracks but they do work a lot better in context I feel and there's plenty of the funk-pop perfection that people love them for to go around, especially the absolutely gorgeous 'Hunnybee' which was the highlight for me on the first time through. Certainly has potential to be their best record and made a much better first impression that Mutli-Love so gonna keep listening to this thing.

You obviously missed my so-so review a page or two back. It's grown on me a little with repeated listens but I don't think it's as good as their previous two. Hunybee is far and away the highlight - love that song. A lot of the rest of it I found pretty forgettable or indistinguishable. Having bought tickets to see them + Deerhunter in May I'll be doing my best to come around to this album - took me a while to get in to Multi-Love too so maybe this one will click somewhere along the way.

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

For one reason or another I never bothered to give these a go on their last album, but this is a big big tune. Will have to delve further.

Their debut is quite hit and miss but when it works it's great, the new songs seem like a big improvement though. Saw them at Primavera last summer and they were really fun live.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

You obviously missed my so-so review a page or two back. It's grown on me a little with repeated listens but I don't think it's as good as their previous two. Hunybee is far and away the highlight - love that song. A lot of the rest of it I found pretty forgettable or indistinguishable. Having bought tickets to see them + Deerhunter in May I'll be doing my best to come around to this album - took me a while to get in to Multi-Love too so maybe this one will click somewhere along the way.

Hmm, well I am of the opinion that they've never produced a truly great album, just a few brilliant highlights on each. And this one's at the very least consistent with that with tracks like obviously 'Hunybee' but then also great stuff on 'Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays,' 'Ministry of Alienation' and 'If You're Going To Break Yourself'. And it's not all amazing but I think because it kind of draws on all sides of the band's style it makes a more varied and enjoyable listen.

43 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

The UMO Bristol date is the same day as LCD at APE and their London date is the same day as Ezra Furman in Bristol. Really fucking me up there.

Yeah looks like I'm gonna be at APE all weekend now so having to shift my ticket 

Demob Happy album is fun, btw 

45 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Anybody listened to Czarface Meets Metal Face yet? I've downloaded it, but I've not got a spare bit of undivided attention until like next weekend at the earliest.

I liked it, didn't have high hopes for it and it turned out to be decent enough. Some great production on there but a lot of the rapping is a little on the nose for me, loads of pop culture references.

Not the DOOM album I've been waiting for but I knew it wouldn't be.

58 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can't say I've ever bothered with them (mostly because of the awfully twee name) but Sunflower Bean's new album is really good. Nothing mind blowing or particularly innovative - just a great bunch of sunny catchy powerpop songs. 

They were great at the Wolf Alice gig in Leeds.

13 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Sums up my thoughts too. It's fun to hear him mixing it up, even if it doesn't all come off.

Thought "meh" at first but 3rd listen in and it gets better. 

In a world where Bloc Party are back and the Kooks are doing a best of tour, we need some madness. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Thought "meh" at first but 3rd listen in and it gets better. 

In a world where Bloc Party are back and the Kooks are doing a best of tour, we need some madness. 

Haha quite!  I liked it straight off, having read mixed reviews. It actually brought to mind Electric Ladyland - Hendrix's production innovations are sometimes credited with leading, eventually, to hip-hop, and here's Jack playing blues-rock guitar but experimenting with musicians honed on hip-hop.

(Don't get me wrong - it's obviously not fit to tie EL's laces.)

The latest Kacey Musgraves song has a hint of early Taylor to it, more pop and less country (though the country-ness is still evident).

I like this direction for her.  Acoustic stage last time she was at Glastonbury, but could well be on one of the main stages when she comes back.

Edited by fantomas

On 24/03/2018 at 3:09 PM, FloorFiller said:

Can't say I've ever bothered with them (mostly because of the awfully twee name) but Sunflower Bean's new album is really good. Nothing mind blowing or particularly innovative - just a great bunch of sunny catchy powerpop songs. 

Really enjoyed the first few tracks but my interest faded by the end. Will revisit the 2nd half. You can tell they've been listening to a lot of Fleetwood Mac.

They were good support for Wolf Alice too. Was thinking about grabbing a ticket for Leeds tomorrow but a train strike has derailed that idea.