2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

The new Editors album has one or two duds but I'm pretty happy with it overall. Would have been nice to hear it before the gig on Monday but never mind.

Gengahr's album sounds good on first listen, can't tell yet if it's as good as their brilliant debut but I'm keen to go back to it. Defo check these guys out if you don't know them.

New David Byrne is enjoyable too.The album is only 37 minutes long so plenty of room for Talking Heads songs to go alongside the new stuff on the setlist too, really looking forward to seeing him. I've just seen he's ending his gigs on a Janelle Monae song (Hell You Talmbout), thought that might be of interest to some of you.

50 minutes ago, Odessa said:

New David Byrne is enjoyable too.The album is only 37 minutes long so plenty of room for Talking Heads songs to go alongside the new stuff on the setlist too, really looking forward to seeing him.

I think 'enjoyable' is stretching it. :P

Like almost all of his solo albums, there's a handful of notable songs and the rest are very forgettable.

(As I said to scottie earlier, he hasn't done a good solo album since 1981 :P)

Setlists are looking very strong, tho. He'll be great live. :)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-byrne/2018/hershey-theatre-hershey-pa-2bef945a.html
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-byrne/2018/center-for-the-arts-university-at-buffalo-buffalo-ny-2befa03a.html

50 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I've just seen he's ending his gigs on a Janelle Monae song (Hell You Talmbout), thought that might be of interest to some of you.

an odd choice of song for a cover is his normal thing.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

@dentalplan is gonna love this tweet.

I haven't any problem with people emphasising words with all capitals. It's just acts and bands that stylise their names in all caps (when it's not even an abbreviation/acronym) like sad fucks and, even more so, the people that adhere to it that can piss off.

New Black Peaks track Can't Sleep is worth a listen if you're into yr heavier stuff. Doesn't sound that much different from their first album so check that out if you like what you hear.

Not really a good thread to mention this so I'll tack it on the end here, but someone on /r/indieheads has said The Rapture could be getting back together and we should know for sure this week. I really hope that's true.

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Not really a good thread to mention this so I'll tack it on the end here, but someone on /r/indieheads has said The Rapture could be getting back together and we should know for sure this week. I really hope that's true.

Neil actually just listed them as part of a few acts he’s been sent for Pukkelpop (on the thread on here) so that might be the fuel for that rumour, or they might have heard separately. Either way, fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Neil actually just listed them as part of a few acts he’s been sent for Pukkelpop (on the thread on here) so that might be the fuel for that rumour, or they might have heard separately. Either way, fingers crossed.

Oh man, even better if they're potentially in Europe this summer. Didn't really consider that as a possibility with a reunion announced in mid March.

On 09/03/2018 at 12:33 PM, Mouseboy11 said:

This is an absolute jam 

I too am absolutely on board with this song. Didn't expect this sort of thing from them but man it bangs. Will hope to catch them again next time they come around, End of the Road set was excellent.

On 10/03/2018 at 5:56 AM, frontsidecab said:

New Young Fathers album is great, love singles Lord and In My View. Turn is a standout from my first listen. 

Lost track of music last few months but came here to say exactly this. Young Fathers did not slip through my net. 

And Turn is one of my favourites so far as well - best delivered na na na I've heard.

On 01/03/2018 at 4:45 PM, nikkic said:

Hookworms and Car Seat Headrest are my current faves of the year. 

Oh and the 2 new Janelle Monae singles are off the chain. 

On 01/03/2018 at 5:57 PM, rhg_99 said:

Ought, Hookworms, Ty Segall, U.S Girls, Hailu Mergia, MGMT

On 01/03/2018 at 6:31 PM, dentalplan said:

Add Loma and Screaming Females to the above.

On 01/03/2018 at 7:36 PM, Mattymooz said:

EDEN's Vertigo is really great if you like alt-pop (Lorde, Banks etc.)

On 02/03/2018 at 12:23 PM, nosajthing said:

Jeff Rosenstock's - POST-

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy

Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus

and the new Lucy Dacus is excellent though I'm only on the second listen.

Cheers all, this has given me plenty to work through!  Ought, MGMT and Hookworms are getting a fair bit of play. CSH is OK but not pulling me back in for repeated listens.

I get the quality of Hailu Mergia, but it's just not doing much for me at the moment.  Might try listening to it under different conditions not really one to listen to at work .

The rest are in the queue!

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Cheers all, this has given me plenty to work through!  Ought, MGMT and Hookworms are getting a fair bit of play. CSH is OK but not pulling me back in for repeated listens.

I get the quality of Hailu Mergia, but it's just not doing much for me at the moment.  Might try listening to it under different conditions not really one to listen to at work .

The rest are in the queue!

If you're still hungry after all that, I think Dream Wife's debut is my album of the year so far. Although I also really love Tune-Yard's latest. And Django Django's. And Shame's. And Sunflower's. And The Lovely Egg's. And The Go! Team's. 

Done alright so far this year ahah.