2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

On 07/02/2018 at 10:10 PM, Odessa said:

Congratulations > Oracular Spectacular >>> Little Dark Age >>>>>>>>> MGMT. Probs.

I reckon LDA is about an 8/10. But my last few listens have been without the 3 singles cos I'd overplayed them a bit, so if anything I'm probably being a little bit harsh as I feel like I'm taking those (really good) songs for granted.

Ugh get on your s/t grind. 

This one hits me like an 8/10 too. Frontloaded with remarkable singles, left to survive on its own after those and does an admirable job without grabbing me too much. Case isn't closed though as it took me years to properly get any of their albums. I do find it a little odd that reviews have praised the 'return to form' when there are quite a few tracks that could've quite easily slotted into the previous two records.

The Ezra Furman album is much more dense than I expected, which I'm not sure is necessarily a good thing since his initial charm was loose rock and roll but I'll be sticking with it. To compare him to another he gets a lot of comparisons to; this could turn out to be his Street Hassle, and I don't wanna be the fool who writes that off as being too different.

Been listening to Postcards - I'll Be Here in the Morning a lot over the last couple of days and it's really good, if you like this then the album is definitely worth a listen. 

Also been enjoying Harrison Whitford's debut album, Afraid of Everything. Can't find much about this album online at all but definitely one for Phoebe Bridgers fans as he seems to be part of her live band. Has a touch of stuff like The Tallest Man on Earth and Ryan Adams too but it's a really good album, my favourite of the year so far.

I initially said the new BRMC album is good but it's actually a bit of a slog to get through it. 

Only realised yesterday that there's a new one from Django Django, that one is a lot of fun. The new Marmozets is surprisingly very enjoyable too, one or two boring tracks in the second half but on the whole I really like it. 

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Never really got the Ezra Furman hype before but the new album is pretty fun.

I find him much beter live than on record, I rarely listen to him at home, but every time I've seen him, it's been great.

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

'New' Car Seat Headrest is out there. Never listened to the original so was expecting the lyrics and songs to be a bit more amateurish despite the re-recording but it's sounding pretty fantastic on first listen. Will have to give the 2011 version a go to compare. Stoked to see them on this tour.

First album this year I'm properly looking forward to. Can't be bothered downloading leaks these days so I'll wait until Friday but I'm excited to hear it.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

First album this year I'm properly looking forward to. Can't be bothered downloading leaks these days so I'll wait until Friday but I'm excited to hear it.

On my second listen now and I'm incredibly impressed. Can't say I was all that excited with it being just a re-recording but damn, I can see why he wanted to re-record it - it's full of absolute stormers.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

'New' Car Seat Headrest is out there. Never listened to the original so was expecting the lyrics and songs to be a bit more amateurish despite the re-recording but it's sounding pretty fantastic on first listen. Will have to give the 2011 version a go to compare. Stoked to see them on this tour.

I'm loving it, on third listen today, pre-ordered the vinyl after first listen. Haven't heard the 2011 version but will check that out as well.