2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

The Voidz (formerly known as Julian Casablancas  + The Voidz) have put out a new song, Leave It In My Dreams, which is up on Spotify. I don't think too much of it after one listen but will give it another go tomorrow.

New album is out March 30.

I feel like this is my present for finally finishing Meet Me in the Bathroom.

This is good shit but I hope we get some weirder tracks across the album. I couldn't grasp why it was a Voidz track until the, er, 'solo'. Feels pretty Angles.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I feel like this is my present for finally finishing Meet Me in the Bathroom.

This is good shit but I hope we get some weirder tracks across the album. I couldn't grasp why it was a Voidz track until the, er, 'solo'. Feels pretty Angles.

Ah did you like the book? I got it a couple of weeks back but gonna start it in the next few days once I'm done with exams. Embarrassingly I've not read a book in years so if you've got any music ones to recommend please suggest them cos I won't have read them. I've got Our Band Could Be Your Life and also Unknown Pleasures by Peter Hook lined up too.

We're bound to get weirder tracks than the lead single I'd imagine so you should be good on that front. But if it all sounds like Angles that's fine by me.

Edited by Odessa

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

Ah did you like the book? I got it a couple of weeks back but gonna start it in the next few days once I'm done with exams. Embarrassingly I've not read a book in years so if you've got any music ones to recommend please suggest them cos I won't have read them. I've got Our Band Could Be Your Life and also Unknown Pleasures by Peter Hook lined up too.

We're bound to get weirder tracks than the lead single I'd imagine so you should be good on that front. But if it all sounds like Angles that's fine by me.

I'm pretty hopeless with books as well to be honest but I do have some music ones to move onto so if any are any good I'll give you a shout. But yeah Meet Me in the Bathroom is a fantastic read if you're a fan of those bands, which you obviously are. It's pretty fun how all these bands and figures from the industry cross over into each band's story, and it's very easy to read because it's 100% quotes - I think the only reason I didn't just read it over a couple of days was cos I wanted to keep coming back to it.

And yeah come to think about it I've heard weirder in the songs they've been premiering. The song 'Wink' that was on Mexican telly sounded really old Strokesy too though. I was half wondering after Future Present Past EP - because the song representing their 'future' (Drag Queen) sounded essentially like a Voidz song - whether he had just decided that his Voidz shit was too good and he was swapping it with The Strokes. :lol: But yeah I'm sure now that's not the case.

5 hours ago, Odessa said:

Embarrassingly I've not read a book in years so if you've got any music ones to recommend please suggest them cos I won't have read them.

The Big Midweek by Steve Hanley is a great read, admittedly as a big Fall fan I was always gonna love it but it' worth a go even if you're not into them, he' got a great perspective on music in the 80s and 90s and it' brilliantly written. The reviews will back me up on that.

I'm almost wary of calling it a music book but The KLF: Chaos, Magic and The Band That Burned A Million Pounds is one of my favouite books ever. I didn't know much about them (a little before my time) and was curious about the money burning but the book goes in some mad directions, almost more a philosophy book than a music one. Incredible though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

But yeah Meet Me in the Bathroom is a fantastic read if you're a fan of those bands, which you obviously are. It's pretty fun how all these bands and figures from the industry cross over into each band's story, and it's very easy to read because it's 100% quotes - I think the only reason I didn't just read it over a couple of days was cos I wanted to keep coming back to it.

Perfect, seen a lot of good things said about it on r/indieheads but nobody on there seems to like Everything Now so they can't be completely trusted.

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I'm pretty hopeless with books as well to be honest but I do have some music ones to move onto so if any are any good I'll give you a shout.

Please do!

6 hours ago, priest17 said:

The Big Midweek by Steve Hanley is a great read, admittedly as a big Fall fan I was always gonna love it but it' worth a go even if you're not into them, he' got a great perspective on music in the 80s and 90s and it' brilliantly written. The reviews will back me up on that.

I'm almost wary of calling it a music book but The KLF: Chaos, Magic and The Band That Burned A Million Pounds is one of my favouite books ever. I didn't know much about them (a little before my time) and was curious about the money burning but the book goes in some mad directions, almost more a philosophy book than a music one. Incredible though.

I definitely will check both of those out, thanks! I've had Mark E Smith's autobiography recommended by a mate too so these are as good reasons as any to finally get round to The Fall beyond what I already know, which is just Hit The North and Maximo Park's cover of Edinburgh Man (Middlesbrough Man).

Also, that new UMO track is great. Don't think the tour end of May will work for me but looking forward to the album and hoping to catch them at a festival. Glasto 2016 wasn't too long ago though so not the end of the world if they're not seeable. 

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Seems like Unknown Mortal Orchestra have been listening to a lot of Death From Above

I said exactly the same! It's a hell of a lot better than that latest DFA stuff at least. That is a banger tho I do hope the album isn't all like it cos it's not quite Multi-Love tier. Will be at the Bristol gig I think. 

yeah it says Strange Waves on their site but the Now Wave boys haven't announced anything yet whereas its been announced by the Albert Hall (those things at normally at the Ritz anyway) so idk 

On that note, big up Now Wave for opening their own venue btw. Best promoters in MCR so looking forward to what they do with it 

17 hours ago, Odessa said:

Perfect, seen a lot of good things said about it on r/indieheads but nobody on there seems to like Everything Now so they can't be completely trusted.

Jodie Whittaker said that her favourite 2017 album was EN. So she has already overtaken D Tennant as my favourite Doctor. 

On 23/01/2018 at 1:50 AM, dentalplan said:

But yeah Meet Me in the Bathroom is a fantastic read...

It really is. Recommended for anyone growing up in that era, or with an interest in that time. Pretty astonishing to get that level of access to so many in that book. They're going to make a TV series of it apparently.

On 23/01/2018 at 1:29 AM, Odessa said:

if you've got any music ones to recommend please suggest them...

The other one I recommend is Playing The Bass With Three Left Hands by Will Carruthers (Spacemen 3/Spiritualized). You don't need to be a huge fan (I'm not) to get on board with this.

• Like 1