2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

They changed their style for the second album to underwhelming results and everybody stopped caring, which is a shame because the first album was ace.

They were also utter shit live, which is a dealbreaker in the punk biz.

Shame really have come on a lot though. Saw them a while back and they had some fun little punk songs, nothing to write home about, but the album is a corker. Gonna try my hardest to give it the appropriate respect throughout the year rather than forgetting about it like I do most January releases.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They were also utter shit live, which is a dealbreaker in the punk biz.

Shame really have come on a lot though. Saw them a while back and they had some fun little punk songs, nothing to write home about, but the album is a corker. Gonna try my hardest to give it the appropriate respect throughout the year rather than forgetting about it like I do most January releases.

I'm on my 4th listen and it's definitely getting better and better. Tickets for their tour in April are dirt cheap so I'll see if the live show has come on at all. 

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Our running commentary of the Mercurys last year when she was on was good. A rousing chorus of "what the fuck is this?"

Yeah I ran off to the Kate Tempest thread around that point to be around people who like her, don't need my opinions challenged like that.

I'd never heard of Shame but gave the album a listen thanks to this thread, it's good. Particularly into One Rizla atm.

Liking the new Editors track which is up on Spotify etc. New album is out on March 9, which is the same day as Gengahr's second album. I highly recommend their debut album if you've not heard it and there's also a couple of songs from their upcoming one out. They're fantastic live as well.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

New Turbowolf too.

AND new David Byrne as well actually. Still yet to delve into any of his solo stuff though ahead of seeing him in Bilbao in July, and only listened to Talking Heads' greatest hits too. Will have to add all that to my White Stripes hit-list. De Stijl is good but hasn't blown me away or anything after a couple of goes. 

I played a gig with Shame in a previous band (cocked it up completely but that’s a different story) and they came across as a nice bunch of humble young guys who are really into their music & gigging. They’re definitely not letting the NME & Lammo thing get to their heads like c**tfish & The Toffee Men and have just gotten very lucky with it all, which sometimes happens. Wish ‘em all the best. 

1 hour ago, Nimrod said:

Editors sounds like they try to imitate Imagine Dragons in their new single, it doesn't sound good IMO

https://open.spotify.com/track/6hVZcLTExWAaodoqW2wLtf

I thought it sounded like Imagine Dragons too but I haven’t thought much of them since album #1 anyway. Seem to have reached their nadir now tho.

52 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Always find it strange when bands are recording at Monnow Valley, just round the corner from me and Monmouth is such a quaint town.

In Supersonic didn’t they go there because it was far away from certain drugs? Maybe that’s the real reason why so many go. :P

On 1/8/2018 at 11:30 AM, Gucci Piggy said:

I won't be coming to his house but he will be coming to mine. Sort of. He will be in Calgary in May. I will most definitely be there. B)

Edited by JacquelineS

On 1/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, priest17 said:

Bit early to start a BRITS thread (all your running commentry on which is a highlight of the year) but go Kate Tempest getting a best female nomination! 

It's a little random considering her last album was out in 2016 before the last ATCQ album who were nominated last year