2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

Slowly over the last couple of months I've realised I'm a little addicted to this song, really looking forward to the new album next week now. Any Go! Team fans out there? I've never really listened to them before, when attacking the back catalogue am I best just doing it chronologically or do they have particular high/low points? Is it all like this?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, priest17 said:

Slowly over the last couple of months I've realised I'm a little addicted to this song, really looking forward to the new album next week now. Any Go! Team fans out there? I've never really listened to them before, when attacking the back catalogue am I best just doing it chronologically or do they have particular high/low points? Is it all like this?

Off to see them soon. To be honest, I’ve never been that enamoured with them on record, their records always seem badly produced. Live they’ve always delivered the goods. Debut album is where I would start.

Currently playing Saturation III to death at the moment. They’re a bit rough around the edges but there’s a ton of energy in the record. Oddly enough they remind me of Len! Ive a feeling I’ll be bored of it in a couple of weeks but I’ll enjoy them while it lasts.

46 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Off to see them soon. To be honest, I’ve never been that enamoured with them on record, their records always seem badly produced. Live they’ve always delivered the goods. Debut album is where I would start.

Ah I just checked and I'm seeing The Lovely Eggs the night they play Manchester. I'll give the debut a whirl tomorrow though, cheers.

49 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I remember last year kicking off with a smack load of satisfying new music, this year seems a bit slow on the new tunes side of things, thankfully there’s still time for some good stuff to drop :)

We had RTJ, Bonobo, Flaming Lips and The XX early doors last year. 

Hopefully some good stuff on the way. 

21 hours ago, priest17 said:

Slowly over the last couple of months I've realised I'm a little addicted to this song, really looking forward to the new album next week now. Any Go! Team fans out there? I've never really listened to them before, when attacking the back catalogue am I best just doing it chronologically or do they have particular high/low points? Is it all like this

Thunder, Lightning, Strike is their first and the one that contains Ladyflash which you may have heard on the radio over the years even if you haven't realised who it was. 

Edited by tjamest

56 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Thunder, Lightning, Strike is their first and the one that contains Ladyflash which you may have heard on the radio over the years even if you haven't realised who it was. 

Yeah I do know that one actually, looks like a right laugh live as well, cheers.

14 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Yeah I got this earlier in the week, and really enjoyed my first listen. Interview in The Guardian today.

Good interview that, bit hyperbolic from the guardian but they seem like decent enough lads. I'm a big fan of Goat Girl and HMLTD (I was of Dead Pretties before they broke up recently) so it makes sense that they'd come from that scene. I've seen those 3 live a few times as well (got more Goat Girl and HMLTD gigs coming up soon as well) so think I might have to check these guys live as well.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Good interview that, bit hyperbolic from the guardian but they seem like decent enough lads. I'm a big fan of Goat Girl and HMLTD (I was of Dead Pretties before they broke up recently) so it makes sense that they'd come from that scene. I've seen those 3 live a few times as well (got more Goat Girl and HMLTD gigs coming up soon as well) so think I might have to check these guys live as well.

Theres a really good farewell letter to Dead Pretties in So Young Magazine written by Chilli Jensons sister https://issuu.com/so_young/docs/so_young_15_online_test/12. I caught one of their last gigs in Southampton and it was a huge shame when they split considering they were on the verge of signing a massive contract with Domino! 

Edited by Callum_96

6 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

Theres a really good farewell letter to Dead Pretties in So Young Magazine written by Chilli Jensons sister https://issuu.com/so_young/docs/so_young_15_online_test/12. I caught one of their last gigs in Southampton and it was a huge shame when they split considering they were on the verge of signing a massive contract with Domino! 

That was a good read that, cheers. Yeah I went to the Manchester show (did you catch Pink Kink? I loved them), was surprised to they'd they'd split after their first headlining UK tour but to be fair I chatted to the frontman beforehand and he was operating on 2 hours sleep so who knows how the tour was. They were great on the night, although better at Live at Leeds. Social Experiment ended up being my most played song of last year according to Spotify.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

That was a good read that, cheers. Yeah I went to the Manchester show (did you catch Pink Kink? I loved them), was surprised to they'd they'd split after their first headlining UK tour but to be fair I chatted to the frontman beforehand and he was operating on 2 hours sleep so who knows how the tour was. They were great on the night, although better at Live at Leeds. Social Experiment ended up being my most played song of last year according to Spotify.

I had Confidence on repeat for many a month when it first came out, from what I heard the frontman was all over the place taking drugs and not sleeping and said he couldn't do it any longer which was gutting for them cause they were nice blokes with some cracking tunes. I didn't catch them unfortunately, not sure if they played but it was a club night gig down here so I didn't turn up till late

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Jack White's announced his album is being released on 23/3. The artwork and some of the song names are pretty weird but then again it's Jack White.

Man put out a song called On and On and On and then two albums later put put out a song called Over and Over and Over ffs.

Glad Respect Commander is on there, thought it was just gonna be a B-side.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Jack White's announced his album is being released on 23/3. The artwork and some of the song names are pretty weird but then again it's Jack White.

My interest in this has dropped pretty low now. Both songs he put out the other day were abysmal. Still looking forward to hopefully being able to see him again this year.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

My interest in this has dropped pretty low now. Both songs he put out the other day were abysmal. Still looking forward to hopefully being able to see him again this year.

Yeah I feel similarly about it, I prefer Respect Commander but not a big fan of either song. To be honest, I've barely went back to Blunderbuss or Lazaretto in the past few years so I don't have particularly high hopes for it. His arena tour in 2014 was great though and I even enjoyed the Glastonbury set so I'd most likely get tickets for the tour.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I feel similarly about it, I prefer Respect Commander but not a big fan of either song. To be honest, I've barely went back to Blunderbuss or Lazaretto in the past few years so I don't have particularly high hopes for it. His arena tour in 2014 was great though and I even enjoyed the Glastonbury set so I'd most likely get tickets for the tour.

I realised the other day that I've been the same regarding Blunderbuss and Lazaretto. Last week I had a listen back through both of them and realised I've barely revisited either of them since they released, despite really enjoying them at the time. Obviously considering his back catalogue as a whole he'll always be well worth seeing live, but both albums were pretty forgettable in truth.

The description and the teaser clip do have me worried about this upcoming album. Got a feeling it'll be my least favorite album he's ever put out.

Don't mind he two from the other but they don't really grab me like most of his music does and Respect Commander is a B-side that has made it on to the album. I do love the middle part of that track though.

33 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I thought he was crap at Glasto. He was trashed.

I'll still see him at good ol' maddy cool tho.

Edited by The Placid Casual

57 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I thought he was crap at Glasto. He was trashed.

I'll still see him at good ol' maddy cool tho.

Yeah I know I'm very much in the minority in thinking it was good, don't think I've watched much if any of it back as I know it probably won't come across well.

On 11/01/2018 at 12:04 PM, priest17 said:

Not a band I've ever listened to but I love this song, the album is streaming here already. 

Edited by kingcrawler