Prime/Netflix me

Rufus Gwertigan

Can recommend the following TV show lads on Netflix;

Originals; Dear White People (drama series about black students at a US university, mainly focusing on issues of race identity, excellent character piece), Orange Is The New Black (drama series about a US women's prison, hysterically funny, emotional, occasionally provoking, genuinely one of the best things ever broadcast), Luke Cage (superpowered love letter to blacksploitation films and TV, joyously flamboyant and watchable, each episode features an appearance by a cool musician), Daredevil (broody noir superhero drama, with very well choreographed fight scenes, goes all-out comic book vibes in the second series), Jessica Jones (superpowered thriller about controlling abusive relationships and ptsd, very intense and engrossing).

Stuff from other producers; RuPaul's Drag Race (reality competition show to find "America's next top drag queen", simultaneously the be-all-and-end-all of reality show spoofs, and the realist most genuine show ever, it's got literally everything you could ever want, easily the best TV show ever), It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (outrageous gross-out spoof of Friends-esque sitcoms, been upping the ante and getting more and more shocking and hilarious for over 10 years), Mushi-shi (supernatural sci-fi anthology anime series, beautifully animated and delightfully weird) Cowboy Bebop (genre-defining anime touchstone from the 90s, western-inspired stories transposed into far-off space age future, inconically gorgeous art design, amazingly kinetic, bolstered by equally iconic jazz and blues inspired soundtrack).

It's akin to recommending someone tries the wonderful meal 'pizza' nowadays but if you're a proper Luddite then watch Breaking Bad, as I think that vanished from UK television mid-run. Prequel series Better Call Saul to watch after that as well.

If you like that then Ozark is a good Netflix Original to kinda replicate that feeling. I think the Netflix Originals I've enjoyed the most throughout since subscribing would be Bojack Horseman, Master of None and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Trailer Park Boys and Arrested Development are good and they're Netflix-produced nowadays, but they were better when they weren't. 

Can't remember much stuff they've got from other channels but they're clearing them out more and more nowadays to make way for their own shiz. Definitely watch Mr Robot on Amazon Prime too and Halt and Catch Fire is good as well.

2 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Designated Survivor is pretty good. Binged watched the first season. About to start the second.

Tried Dark yesterday but the dubbing is terrible so will probably be giving that a miss. Shame as it looks great.

I turned on subtitles. It is really good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2017 at 9:10 AM, ThomThomDrum said:

Watching season 4 now. 5 episodes down. Some good; some not so; interesting concepts all the same....

Just finished watching the full fourth season now and I honestly think it's the best season yet. Hang the dj is the stand out episode for me

On 12/31/2017 at 9:10 AM, ThomThomDrum said:

Watching season 4 now. 5 episodes down. Some good; some not so; interesting concepts all the same....

Couldn't be bothered with Metalhead at all. Thought USS Callister and Hang The DJ were both fantastic though. Will watch the final episode tonight. Such a fascinating series.