Talking Heads

ivan

Just now, billum said:

He doesn't *actually* say he won't, only that "I'm not interested in that [reuniting Talking Heads as a nostalgia thing]", to which I choose to append "yet"

Yeah, but there's more to him than his words, and his words match that more of him.

I can't see it happening. He's someone always looking to explore the next thing rather than look back or repeat, and what he says there just underlines that.

And while he's probably not dripping in money he probably has all that he needs for what he wants to do plus plenty left over, so I can't see money tempting him either. I'd say he probably considers his art as more important.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's never really been on the cards though has it?

I'd thought till a year or two ago that Chris and Tina wouldn't have been interested, but a year or so ago there was some fake "they've reformed" news, and around that there were comments from the other three (not Byrne) that they'd be up for it.

Because (as far as I'm aware) it's the other three who have reason to be pissed off with Byrne and not the other way around (Byrne is reputed to have claimed songs for himself that they all wrote) that made me think it might happen.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:05 AM, eFestivals said:

I'd thought till a year or two ago that Chris and Tina wouldn't have been interested, but a year or so ago there was some fake "they've reformed" news, and around that there were comments from the other three (not Byrne) that they'd be up for it.

After the Tom Tom Club set on West Holts I asked Chris & Tina about coming back to Glasto with Talking Heads, and they were totally up for it, but complained that David was the one who just wasn't interested at all. He was on the Today prog last week saying exactly the same thing, but of course he *could* be putting this all out there so that someone (Coachella?) offers really silly money for him to do it...

If money was a motivator they'd have done it by now. he obviously doesnt need the money and has loads of other artistic projects on. Thats not to say it would never happen but he just doesnt seem motivated by money and is clearly more about the artistry. Highly commendable in my opinion although i'd love to see it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So anyone else go David Byrne in London last night? Thought it was bloody brilliant - Byrne's performance flawless, so many Talking Heads songs thrown into the mix, "Lazy" getting an outing... and that's before you factor in the amazing band, choreography, costumes, lighting, set etc. Really can't praise it enough and I'm not even a huge fan. One of the few gigs I've been to lately where the audience was completely rapt throughout as well, no one was talking and everyone was into it. Five stars all round.

I know he's touring again in October which is still a way off June, but any chance of an appearance at next year's fest? West Holts seems ideal to me.

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

any chance of an appearance at next year's fest? West Holts seems ideal to me.

I saw the show on Sunday. It's a great show, but I've preferred earlier tours for a tighter sound and the set-lists.

I suspect there might be some issues with the staging of that show on many festival stages, as it needs a stage of a particular size (so Byrne said on 6music yesterday).

I'd guess West Holts is too small - or at least, it probably is with everything else it needs to be doing as a festival stage. The Pyramid and Other probably aren't.

I also suspect he's waaaay out of West Holts budget at the moment (some of the arena show prices for October are shocking).

Just now, eFestivals said:

I saw the show on Sunday. It's a great show, but I've preferred earlier tours for a tighter sound and the set-lists.

I suspect there might be some issues with the staging of that show on many festival stages, as it needs a stage of a particular size (so Byrne said on 6music yesterday).

I'd guess West Holts is too small - or at least, it probably is with everything else it needs to be doing as a festival stage. The Pyramid and Other probably aren't.

I also suspect he's waaaay out of West Holts budget at the moment (some of the arena show prices for October are shocking).

Had a feeling you might say all of that with regards Glasto :)

Ah well. As a first-timer to his live shows, as I say, I was hugely impressed. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As a first-timer to his live shows, as I say, I was hugely impressed. 

it's much more of a show than he's done on earlier tours, although there's always a lot of thought gone into them, with some theatrics/dancers/etc.

I was thinking he might struggle to sell those arena shows, but with the rave reviews he's getting I guess they'll sell OK.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hope he does Pyscho Killer Kest Ke Say. Only one I know.

not in the set list for the current tour. Thank God. Nor is (as said to me at the Brum gig) "The Road To Dudley". Thank God.

He plays the decent songs instead. And he has a shitlong list to choose from. Like this.

Or even like this (which works particularly well with the current show setup, imagine a samba version)

Edited by eFestivals

No fair. Next you'll be telling me he wont be doing any neo-classical pieces on the building's heating pipes.

Joking aside, it looks like I'll need to check out the  new album. The only solo albums I'm really familiar with are Bush of Ghosts and Rei Momo and it looks like he's leaving them both alone.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

it looks like I'll need to check out the  new album.

i wouldn't bother rushing to do that. It's got a couple of decent tracks, but the rest I'd say class as below average for his solo stuff (and much of that is average anyway).

The show is good tho, and definitely worth seeing. The wife wasn't particularly bothered about going, but came out gushing about the show, and thought the whole thing much better than when I've forced ( :P ) her to see him on earlier tours.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think he needs to attract the curious and the box-tickers (I include myself in both those categories) to have a hope of filling some of these venues 

i agree, tho the hype the tour has been getting the last few days is likely to help a fair bit i reckon.

I looked at Cardiff at the weekend and it was about half sold out. It's about 2/3rds now .... so that's just caused me to buy. At least Cardiff is closer than Brum.