Hugh Jass

Album of the Year 2017

Los Campesinos - Sick Scenes

I can't believe how overlooked this album was.  I feel like LC have spent years trying to find their voice once they dropped the Twee-core thing. I had pretty much forgotten about them, then Sick Scenes completely took me by surprise.  The slight political tilt really suits them.  Really thought this would be the album that pushed them more into the mainstream, but they didn't even get a slot at Glasto.  That's indie labels for you I guess.

Edited by fowls
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kind offer but I’ll just ether him on here when I need to.

I’ve lived the AOTY and it is not LCD Soundsystem.

That's a shame, we'd love to have you.

@Gucci Piggy talks about you all the time.

18 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

That's a shame, we'd love to have you.

@Gucci Piggy talks about you all the time.

Gucci Piggy only tells lengthy anecdotes about his weird flatmates and sends pics of Muse related merchandise whenever he sees it. So if that's your thing @dentalplan you're in luck.

On 01/01/2018 at 6:54 PM, Buddy Holly said:

Okay since I'm ill and have too much time on my hands, I've done the dirty work this year. I gave 10 to the top album, 9 to the second etc., then added up the scores.

Up to 30th place there's some clear ordering but then there's a lot of 6 way draws so I'll just provide the top 30:

28. Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy
       Ryan Adams - The Prisoner
       Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
27. Paramore - Hard Times
26. London Grammar - The Truth is a Beautiful Thing
24. The Cribs - 24/7 Rockstar Shit
       The Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics
23. Sundara Karma - Youth is Only Ever Fun in Retrospect
22. Bonobo - Migration
21. Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone
19. Sampha - Process
       Brand New - Science Fiction
18. The Horrors - V
17. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
16. Idles - Brutalism
13. Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes
       Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
       Run The Jewels - RTJ3
12. Everything Everything - A Fever Dream
10. St. Vincent - MASSEDUCATION
       Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
9. Radiohead - Pablo Honey
8. Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life
7. Slowdive - Slowdive
6. The xx - I See You
5. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
4. LCD Soundsystem - american dream
3. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
2. Lorde - Melodrama
1. The National - Sleep Well Beast

So there you have it, efestivals' year in music! Roll on 2018

slight error in the list, fixed it now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Doing mine properly this time, last time I hadn't ordered it, forgot about the Body Count album, hadn't listened to WSS etc

Sorry if this fucks the top 30 but I'm fairly sure Code Orange will be on that now.

Albums: 

1. Creeper - Eternity In Your Arms

2. Idles - Brutalism 

3. Code Orange - Forever

4. Zeal & Ardor - Devil Is Fine

5. Body Count - Bloodlust

6. Paramore - After Laughter

7. Queens of the Stone Age - Villains

8. Sorority Noise - You're Not As ____ As You Think

9. While She Sleeps - You Are We

10. Arcade Fire - Everything Now

Edited by Steve1000

My vote goes to an Australian band called The Smith Street Band - More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me.

Masterpiece of soulful punk music.

13 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

My vote goes to an Australian band called The Smith Street Band - More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me.

Masterpiece of soulful punk music.

Great album tbf. Couldn't stop listening to it when it first came out, Shine and Passiona considerable highlights.

• Like 1

On reflection, I’d now place The War On Drugs much higher. I keep coming back to it, very much looking forward to seeing them at APE. 

I’ve also listened to Wolf Parade for the first time this week, would definitely have made my top 20. 

That is all. 

10 minutes ago, nikkic said:

On reflection, I’d now place The War On Drugs much higher. I keep coming back to it, very much looking forward to seeing them at APE.

I was thinking this the other day. Took me quite a few listens to think it wasn't just a lesser Lost In The Dream, but really liking it now. I wish I'd got into it before the tour but ah well.

Edited by Odessa

Can’t get into WOD at all. Think it might be how much the singer sounds like Bryan Adams that puts me off.

Maybe seeing them in the summer will change my mind.

Feel like things have died down enough now for it to be clear that any opinion other than the Charli xcx mixtape being the best release of 2017 is, to quote Eduardo Millipede himself...

Pop2 is a fuckin masterpiece. Top stuff. The more I think about it the more I think it genuinely might have been aoty, my only criticism is some of the features are a bit overbearing and detract from tracks that don't really need them.

Number 1 Angel was way better than Pop2 imo. It was just the right amount of PC music so that it was still gritty and fresh but didnt just sound like someone chewing through a sheet of steel

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What's the gateway track to Pop2?  I need a foothold on it 

Out of My Head I guess, although Backseat is still my favourite. I feel like PC Music have always needed someone to give them an anchor and turn their shtick into more than just shtick and on Pop 2 it all gels together into a much more nuanced, interesting take on living through the cultural overload of a digital era (or some shit like that, idk) than Everything Now could ever dream of being. 

Sound the super pretentious over-analysis klaxon, but have you ever read that Marshall Berman book All That Is Solid Melts Into Air? 

'To be modern is to experience personal and social life as a maelstrom, and to find one’s world in perpetual disintegration and renewal, trouble and anguish, ambiguity and contradiction: to be part of a universe in which all that is solid melts into air.

To be a modernist is to make oneself somehow at home in the maelstrom, to make its rhythms one’s own, to move within its currents in search of the forms of reality of beauty, of freedom, of justice, that its fervid and perilous flow allows.'

I kind of got that sense from two albums last year, the Fever Ray one and the Charli xcx one. And the Charli xcx one bangs harder.

I had on the two mixtapes while I was cooking tea today and thinking deeply about this. Yeah, Charli had a bumper year and released what was definitely one of 2017's defining works. Vince Staples was having a similarly grand old time of it with Big Fish Theory, and had some overlap in collaborators there. But being with the zeitgeist isn't the be all and end all, and Melodrama was like a crack rock of #feels, with completely perfect songwriting.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I had on the two mixtapes while I was cooking tea today and thinking deeply about this. Yeah, Charli had a bumper year and released what was definitely one of 2017's defining works. Vince Staples was having a similarly grand old time of it with Big Fish Theory, and had some overlap in collaborators there. But being with the zeitgeist isn't the be all and end all, and Melodrama was like a crack rock of #feels, with completely perfect songwriting.

Eh, give me the thrill of the new over the warm embrace of familiar craft.

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Eh, give me the thrill of the new over the warm embrace of familiar craft.

Melodrama is only a couple of months less new than POP2.

"New" in this case actually being a small handful of trends picked up by subcultures in major western cities right now. It's all personal taste and perception really. You could probably be selective the other way around, most of Charli's sound palette is consciously plucked from a specific time and place about 15 - 20 years ago; could probably go through Melodrama and pick out a bunch of arbitrary reasons why it's actually way more original if you could be arsed.

History won't remember either of them anywhere near as kindly as Kasabian anyway.