Future Headliners

Steve1000

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I was just exchanging a sad acceptance that The Hunna are on course for arena shows and major festival slots. My distaste for their music comes into my personal reaction to the news of their growth but their fans do not.

My point is, why would you be sad that a band are doing arena shows? No one’s forcing you to attend. I personally can’t stand Beyoncé, but it doesn’t sadden me that she is doing well and regularly sells arenas out. 

12 minutes ago, danz026 said:

My point is, why would you be sad that a band are doing arena shows? No one’s forcing you to attend. I personally can’t stand Beyoncé, but it doesn’t sadden me that she is doing well and regularly sells arenas out. 

Their own potential arena shows wouldn't affect non-fans, the festival slots they would harness from being able to play such big shows do however affect non-fans as people going to festivals usually want bands that they like to play/headline, such is a focal point of this forum. Given the limited amount of acts promoted to headliner, one that you don't like is particularly inconveniencing because it'll probably come at the expense of one you do.

14 minutes ago, danz026 said:

I mean, Beyonce is never gonna play R+L , but Hunna will and make the festival less enjoyable for non fans

On 28/11/2017 at 12:02 AM, Will-2609 said:

They've missed the boat.

Really? Records are all quality. Reckon like TDCC they could do a proper big comeback, and be headliners in 1-2 albums time.

Similar to Bombay Bicycle Club and Vampire Weekend... (why do my fave bands keep going on hiatus :( ) Vampire Weekend could still attain headline status, if they released some genre-changing album... Ezra has that potential.

Lorde should also be placed on the list. No reason she wouldn’t headline after her next record. She would be quality, either alone or co-headline with the XX or Florence and The Machine. 

The only act you mentioned that might actually headline is Florence and the Machine.

The XX and Lorde don’t seem suitable to headline given that they’ve never played in the years they’ve been about, and also Lorde is nowhere near big enough especially on the next album. Vampire Weekend, The Black Keys and Bombay Bicycle Club have each visibly peaked and are probably on the battle to stay where they are upon their return.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The only act you mentioned that might actually headline is Florence and the Machine.

The XX and Lorde don’t seem suitable to headline given that they’ve never played in the years they’ve been about, and also Lorde is nowhere near big enough especially on the next album. Vampire Weekend, The Black Keys and Bombay Bicycle Club have each visibly peaked and are probably on the battle to stay where they are upon their return.

The xx could swing back round to be honest; feel they're as big as Foals now and everyone chomped at the bit for them to headline, it seemed. Even if they're not a regular R+L fix, could still be a shout.

The Black Keys definitely strike me as a group about to free-fall upon return, a la Gaslight Anthem. Straight down the bills like a stone. Just not the climate today for them to go anywhere else.

1 minute ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The xx could swing back round to be honest; feel they're as big as Foals now and everyone chomped at the bit for them to headline, it seemed. Even if they're not a regular R+L fix, could still be a shout.

The Black Keys definitely strike me as a group about to free-fall upon return, a la Gaslight Anthem. Straight down the bills like a stone. Just not the climate today for them to go anywhere else.

They probably are as big, yeah, but the point is they haven't been booked in forever so FR probably don't see them as an R&L band. Even at headline size I'd expect them to be booked for Latitude rather than R&L.

7 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

They probably are as big, yeah, but the point is they haven't been booked in forever so FR probably don't see them as an R&L band. Even at headline size I'd expect them to be booked for Latitude rather than R&L.

Fair enough. I really struggle to gauge the headliner level at Latitude now. It always felt like a step "up" on the way to an R/L headline gig in a sense for me. Not so much anymore.

So in summary the acts we have are:

- Blossoms

- Catfish

- Royal Blood

- Florence 

- Skepta/ BBK

- Stormzy

- the 1975

I could totally see The Sherlocks headlining in a short amount of time, same with Blossoms. Plus, reckon they’ll push Major Lazer to headline slot, and maybe Chase and Status?

really don’t think Stereophonics will headline. So much more a radio 2 band nowadays. 

40 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

So in summary the acts we have are:

- Blossoms

- Catfish

- Royal Blood

- Florence 

- Skepta/ BBK

- Stormzy

- the 1975

I could totally see The Sherlocks headlining in a short amount of time, same with Blossoms. Plus, reckon they’ll push Major Lazer to headline slot, and maybe Chase and Status?

really don’t think Stereophonics will headline. So much more a radio 2 band nowadays. 

Chase and Status and Major Lazer aren't making it now.