2015 - a vintage year?

After seeing Pixies tweeting the 2005 lineup, it seemed such a strong year of acts. It was full of artists who later went on to be much bigger or even headline the festival. For example, The Killers, QOTSA, Elbow, Kasabian, The National, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro, Arcade Fire, My Chemical Romance and LCD Soundsystem all played but didn't headline.

Of course this only looks so strong in retrospect. However in recent years it doesn't feel like much of the undercard is full of acts on an upward trajectory; a lineup that people will look back on in 10 years and think it looked vintage.

But then I looked back at 2015. Granted, the headliners weren't the most inspiring (The Libertines past their prime, Mumford and Sons already past their peak). I guess Metallica were an exception. However, when you look at the undercard it's full of acts who are now big enough the headline, or at least still on the upward trajectory. For example, Bring Me The Horizon, Royal Blood and Kendrick Lamar all got really prominent spots and are now probably all big enough to headline. Alt-J (although now have past their peak) were definitely at their prime back in 2015.

The subs were clearly great, but the rest of the lineup had acts that are still growing and could become huge in upcoming years. For example, Run the Jewels, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, Jamie xx, Blossoms, Stormzy and Boy Better Know. Loads of other good bookings throughout the lineup too, like Limp Bizkit and Deadmau5 headlining NME and The Wombats headlining FR.

I think it's enough time now to see that 2015 will potentially be seen as a vintage year in terms of acts that will be much bigger in the future. Are there any other lineups in recent years that people think are similar? Let me know!

12 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Hmm I don't think the 2015 lineup was considered anything special at the time, although in hindsight they did catch alot of acts on the up and up. 

For me the best year is 2008, especially if Avenged and Slipknot hadn't dropped out. 

aye that's kinda my point. at the time it seemed an average lineup, but in retrospect they bagged a lot of artists that are now headline status.

Look at that run on Saturday: Royal Blood > BMTH > Metallica. Really strong stuff. Looking at 2005, you could draw similarities for the run of QOTSA > The Killers > Pixies.

I think it’s still too early to be impressed by the 2015 line up. Royal Blood and Bring Me haven’t headlined anything yet and were already playing slots that accounted for their impact. And alt-J has already done two shows in the previous three years so were an obvious booking.

I guess I could stretch to them getting Limp Bizkit and The Wombats In before their nostalgia wave made them too big for those slots, but it’s not something I agree with so I’m loathe to do so. :P

Nine Inch Nails and Fall Out Boy on their highly-anticipated returns from hiatus, plus System Of A Down making a rare UK appearance as a subheadliner. Future headliners Foals also on main. Imagine Dragons, Tame Impala, Major Lazer, Bastille and Disclosure all in upper-mid second stage slots. The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots on the FR stage. Catfish & The Bottlemen on BBC Introducing. Clean Bandit halfway down dance stage, Giggs on 1Xtra.

10 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Nine Inch Nails and Fall Out Boy on their highly-anticipated returns from hiatus, plus System Of A Down making a rare UK appearance as a subheadliner. Future headliners Foals also on main. Imagine Dragons, Tame Impala, Major Lazer, Bastille and Disclosure all in upper-mid second stage slots. The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots on the FR stage. Catfish & The Bottlemen on BBC Introducing. Clean Bandit halfway down dance stage, Giggs on 1Xtra.

Also BMTH 5th down before TTS came and stank out their setlists