NOS Primavera Porto

Justiceforcedave

16 hours ago, xxialac said:

Last year on the first day: 8 acts, all on at different times

This year on the first day: 16 acts

Conclusion - much much better as will be some choice for the first time on the first day. Must be at least 3 stages open.

Also significantly more acts on Fri/Sat - was there any news of a fifth stage?

On 3/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, Suggestives said:

Love both of those.

I'd also recommend Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, and Starcrawler's live performance is not to be missed.

I'm assuming everyone already knows that Ezra Furman is the greatest thing on the line-up, right? I'll have already seen him seven times this year before I get to Porto, but he'll still be No. 1 on my must-see list.

Ezra Furman sounds ACE (been picking at singles and latest album). Any recommendations of where to go re albums?

19 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Ezra Furman sounds ACE (been picking at singles and latest album). Any recommendations of where to go re albums?

The set will be mainly the latest album and the previous Perpetual Motion People, with a couple of tracks from the Big Fugitive Life EP and the 2013 Day of the Dog album, so I'd start with those. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 12:50 PM, xxialac said:

OK, I'll give it another spin and willing to be wrong. To my ears it''s a lot better than something like Taylor Swift but is still radio friendly, relatively unchallenging pop. Pop has its place and nothing wrong with it. My point is more that she seems to attract some fans who talk a lot about fangirling and other such drivel, (which is not something you would ever get with a My Bloody Valentine type band). The issue is that we get an audience that day of teenagers that will be excited about seeing her but who spend the rest of the day chatting over everyone else's sets.

I've been to Primavera Porto last year for the 1st time and the audience was far more quiet than in Barcelona (where I've attended Primavera Sound between 2004 to 2016 and sadly seen a decay of music lovers in the crowd through the years, which is another topic). I'm sure the teenagers will happily wait for their turn for a flowers' crown as they did last year. I'm not worrying much about this festival's crowd to be honest. I should dedicate time to study the line-up in the following weeks as there are a few acts I've no idea about.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

What is the next piece of news we should expect?

Stage splits and clashfinders?

last year, the stage splits/times didn't come until 30/5 from a quick google - I've got the clashfinder set up once the times are out, don't worry ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anyone got anymore recommendations now we're getting closer? I've been smashing Lorde Melodrama for the last month......I love it! Superorganism's album has also been on repeat spin.

Aside from the obvious e.g. Cave, Breeders, Mogwai, Grizzly Bear etc etc. The last Waxahatchee was really good, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, also. I've been very lax on the lower end of the poster; should probably start rectifying that quick sharp.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

When do we expect that we will get our timetable now Barca is out the way?

54 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

When do we expect that we will get our timetable now Barca is out the way?

Not super early. Probably week of the 28th.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Could well be nothing more than a test and the speed at which they move generally is glacial so wouldn't hold your breath.

Oh I know, but any excuse not to do work and trawl through some source code.

• Like 1