First time Reading goer; have some questions!

aquarianraver

So, I know that it is early in advance to be asking about Reading 2018. However, I will be purchasing my tickets fairly soon -apparently they're selling fast- and wanted to know a few things before I do.

1)I am 17 and will be going with a group of school mates, we are all fairly peaceful and want to know the best campsite; we aren't too bothered about how far away we are from the main stage, but we don't want to be too far. Which are the more "quiet" campsites? My cousin stayed in green and had someone fall on her tent and her "neighbours" fighting and doing all sorts, off their heads on ket!! Despite being 17, I don't want to be in a rowdy campsite, and want to avoid the loudest and the ones that are prone to flooding. Are white & brown nice?

2) What time do all the acts finish: including smaller "dance" tents? I heard they finish around 23:30, but do any other music tents go on later? Is the silent disco good?

3) Are you allowed to leave site?

4) Do they have a drug testing tent? and is there easy access to drinking water near campsites?

I am a regular festival goer, but I usually got to Glastonbury and Bestival, so it'll be my first reading experience and I want to know what it's genuinely like?

Sorry for the stupid questions!! :)

Edited by aquarianraver

Hi, it was my first time this year so from someone who's only been once and that's their only impression I can answer couple of these somewhat well. If you want in detail, expert answers then just ignore me lmao.

I stayed in White last year. It's a trek. I'd say 20-25 minute walk from towards the back of the white camp where I was. The walk is an annoying one, but if you want peace and quiet then I'd say it's worth it. I don't personally know about the other sites, but if you stay in white, when you walk through others on the way to arena, you'll be glad you're in white. Not very loud at all, easy to sleep, didn't flood this year but then again I don't think there was much anywhere this year, I only saw a little near main paths.

2. Main stage finishes at 11:20 and all other tents usually finish at 11:30. Only time I can remember this not happening this year was on the Saturday, the 1xtra tent finished conveniently 5 minutes before Eminem started lmao. After all the main music is finished you've got a few hours of DJ's in the Alternative Tent and also the Jack Rocks tent this year had something on after everything else. Also, in the 1Xtra tent you've got films every night until about 4AM. Never went in the silent disco myself but was told it was a right laugh.

3.Yep, you're allowed to leave site (Not sure about in cars etc. as I only left on foot).

4. Not too sure about the drug testing, but clean water in every campsite. A load of taps near the showers and toilets in each camp I'm pretty sure.

Overall, from my experience everything's easy to get to, nothing particularly bad about anything, I mean the toilets weren't too bad, even on the Sunday! But yeah, as I say, this time last year I'd never been Reading and was wondering all the same things so I wouldn't take my word completely but  have tried to answer your questions best I can lmao. I'm sure someone will correct me on anything I got wrong and give you a lot more info.

4 hours ago, Jayvk said:

6 hours ago, aquarianraver said:

So, I know that it is early in advance to be asking about Reading 2018. However, I will be purchasing my tickets fairly soon -apparently they're selling fast- and wanted to know a few things before I do.

1)I am 17 and will be going with a group of school mates, we are all fairly peaceful and want to know the best campsite; we aren't too bothered about how far away we are from the main stage, but we don't want to be too far. Which are the more "quiet" campsites? My cousin stayed in green and had someone fall on her tent and her "neighbours" fighting and doing all sorts, off their heads on ket!! Despite being 17, I don't want to be in a rowdy campsite, and want to avoid the loudest and the ones that are prone to flooding. Are white & brown nice?

2) What time do all the acts finish: including smaller "dance" tents? I heard they finish around 23:30, but do any other music tents go on later? Is the silent disco good?

4) Do they have a drug testing tent? and is there easy access to drinking water near campsites?

I am a regular festival goer, but I usually got to Glastonbury and Bestival, so it'll be my first reading experience and I want to know what it's genuinely like?

Hey, I've been to Reading twice (At 16 and at 18), both experiences were great. 

1. I camped in brown for both of my experiences and absolutely loved it. I found it very safe, good atmosphere and -despite the odd person with a bluetooth speaker playing dnb or deep house- quietened down after midnight, well enough so we all had a good nights rest. The people in the camp were nice, loads of stoners which was great as my whole "squad" love to blaze haha. The walk wasn't bad either (IMO) and I can say this from the point of view of someone who took MD and still found the walk fine.  I can't comment on the other camps as I didn't stay there, however, we had mates that refused brown because it looked (quote on quote) "too mellow", opting to stay in Red and ended up in our camp most of the weekend, because they hated their camp so much!!

2. Music finished at 23:30. Alternative and Jägerhouse were open 'til later, and the silent disco was great (especially if you're buzzing lol). We also chilled in our camp, put on some music and smoked a blunt, which was also very calming after a day of non-stop raving.

3. yes.

4. I am not sure about the drug testing tent.I think you and your mates should agree to not take pills off of people, unless YOU KNOW that its a trusted source. A girl I know, took a pill of "MDMA" which was actually laced with Ket and she ended up spending the nigh in the Medical tent...  Yes, there's clean drinking water.

Have fun. Stay vigilant and be aware at all times. 

Edited by sanmatwil99

7 hours ago, aquarianraver said:

1. Brown and White are both fine, White is definitely the quietest (most of the families go there) but it is a trek, and from the fact you're asking if they have a drug tent I'm guessing Brown would be better for you, slightly closer but still gets quiet relatively early (especially if you camp the far side of the field)

2. There are 3 Silent discos and all of them are different. I have only ever been to the one inside the arena (at the Alternative stage) which usually has some of the acts come back for a DJ set (when I went this year Blossoms was DJing, very alt-rock heavy with most of the classics, and the occasional deeper cut, even some metal at one point). I believe the ones in the campsites are your more standard rave tents with more clubby music. There aren't any proper acts after 23:30 at Reading due to the noise policy (which is why Leeds get a couple of extra tents like the Relentless Stage)

3. Yes, as long as you keep your wristband on.

4. Drug Testing tent was introduces this year (all Festival Republic fests now have them). I didn't go to it personally but I heard it was OK? I think it was where Lost Property was but I don't know for sure. Drinking water is available on all campsites and in the arena, though there is frequently a long queue and they are pretty slow taps (also with a weird shaped spout that is just a bit too big to fit in a bottle so you always spill a little)

Personally I love the festival. It's really easy to get to and I love the variety in music. Last 2 years it's been blessed with lovely weather too. You do get quite a few kids there who are just there to get drunk/high etc. without their parents but tbh they mostly stay in the campsite anyway, in the arena I find most people aren't complete idiots (though the people moshing to two door cinema club this year were debatablee, who moshes to TDCC?!?!?)

Hope you enjoy the fest :)

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2017 at 1:29 PM, aquarianraver said:

Was my first time this year and i was 16 at the time and had such a great time!

1. I camped in orange as we wanted to be fairly close and in the action but didn't want to camp in tiny yellow that everyone has to walk through to get to the other sites. Orange was great but if youre looking for somewhere slightly more peaceful like the others have said i wojuld recommend brown, white is years away!

2,3 and 4 have been covered well so just gonna give some handy advice that i picked up

1) if you want free choice of where you camp and would enjoy an extra day in the great atmosphere, pick up an early bird and go on the Wednesday! I did this year and although nothing was on the atmosphere was so good and was fun with my mates.

2) put your camping chair in your tent when you arent there, it will be gone. trust me.

3) check out the Jack Rocks stage (this year it was just outside the arena) some quality new bands play there

4) spend as much time in the arena as possible, always something good on somewhere

5) take a 20000+ powered portable charger to last you, (im sure you already have a plan for that from your previous festivals)

hope this helped and have a great time its so so good

38 minutes ago, Jack w said:

1) if you want free choice of where you camp and would enjoy an extra day in the great atmosphere, pick up an early bird and go on the Wednesday! I did this year and although nothing was on the atmosphere was so good and was fun with my mates.

2) put your camping chair in your tent when you arent there, it will be gone. trust me.

3) check out the Jack Rocks stage (this year it was just outside the arena) some quality new bands play there

4) spend as much time in the arena as possible, always something good on somewhere

5) take a 20000+ powered portable charger to last you, (im sure you already have a plan for that from your previous festivals)

3) I swear Jack Rocks was an 18+ stage? :P (At least I know that stage was 18+ in previous years)

5) TBH I recommend the portable chargers you can get when you're there. It's something like £20 and you can swap it in all weekend for a fully charged one. It kept my phone, portable speaker and a buddys phone charged pretty much 100%. Only downside is it is only open till midnight so you need to make sure you are fully charged before then! Also, if you keep the charger between years it gets cheaper, and you can use it at most FR fests too.

11 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

3) I swear Jack Rocks was an 18+ stage? :P (At least I know that stage was 18+ in previous years)

5) TBH I recommend the portable chargers you can get when you're there. It's something like £20 and you can swap it in all weekend for a fully charged one. It kept my phone, portable speaker and a buddys phone charged pretty much 100%. Only downside is it is only open till midnight so you need to make sure you are fully charged before then! Also, if you keep the charger between years it gets cheaper, and you can use it at most FR fests too.

3) bloody lucky that it wasn't 18 plus because i couldn't wait to see blackwaters there and they were so good! I think it turned 18 plus after midnight or something maybe.

5) yeah fair enough mine easily lasted two of us for the whole festival and was easy so served us well

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:27 AM, Mattymooz said:

It was 18+ but it wasn't too hard to slip round security and into the tent ;) I was in there for Jono Ma's DJ Set on the Thursday night, me and my mates just went through a small opening in the side of the tent while everyone was queueing showing ID. I was 15 and my mates were 17 haha.

29 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

It was 18+ but it wasn't too hard to slip round security and into the tent ;) I was in there for Jono Ma's DJ Set on the Thursday night, me and my mates just went through a small opening in the side of the tent while everyone was queueing showing ID. I was 15 and my mates were 17 haha.

well shit either it wasnt 18 + at the time i went in or i just dodged the security hahah

10 minutes ago, Jack w said:

well shit either it wasnt 18 + at the time i went in or i just dodged the security hahah

Yeah I think you might be right about the maybe only 18+ at night possibly as it was about 11PM when I went in and it was definitely supposed to be 18+. BlackWaters played in the day so it's possible, I mean the security wasn't great anyway so it doesn't really matter. Either way, we both got to see someone we wanted to in there lmao. I was meaning to see The Luka State in there but missed them. BlackWaters would've been decent too but I don't mind as much as I've already seen them once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvk said:

BlackWaters would've been decent too but I don't mind as much as I've already seen them once.

oh thats cool where did you see them?

i wouldve also loved to have seen strange bones and the blinders on that stage but i didnt unfortunately, seeing the blinders in february though and just got to pray that i can see strange bones at some point next year.

3 minutes ago, Jack w said:

oh thats cool where did you see them?

i wouldve also loved to have seen strange bones and the blinders on that stage but i didnt unfortunately, seeing the blinders in february though and just got to pray that i can see strange bones at some point next year.

They played Godiva Festival back in July and with it being such a small festival, it was very easy to get right to the front and properly enjoy them aha. Feel like they would've been better at Reading as they were in such a small tent as I saw them play the main stage at Godiva and because there was such a small crowd, it wasn't the greatest atmosphere.

The Blinders are pretty good. I believe they have a Birmingham show next year, might go along. Also on that stage that are decent bands are The Wholls, Baby Strange and Anteros. I've seen Baby Strange before and hoping to see The Wholls soon.

9 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

They played Godiva Festival back in July and with it being such a small festival, it was very easy to get right to the front and properly enjoy them aha. Feel like they would've been better at Reading as they were in such a small tent as I saw them play the main stage at Godiva and because there was such a small crowd, it wasn't the greatest atmosphere.

The Blinders are pretty good. I believe they have a Birmingham show next year, might go along. Also on that stage that are decent bands are The Wholls, Baby Strange and Anteros. I've seen Baby Strange before and hoping to see The Wholls soon.

yeah those bands are good too, there was also trampolene, avalanche party and false heads who i like but Blackwaters strange bones and the blinders are 3 of my fav bands - great stage

Edited by Jack w

Just now, Jayvk said:

Ahhh fair enough then, The Luka State are deffo one of my top, i'm a bit pissed off I missed them as they haven't really done many shows either so it's a struggle to actually see them live lmao.

yeahh i get that it can be quite hard to see some of those bands, especially for me as most of them i like are northern so they barely come down to bournemouth/southampton where i live haha

• Like 1