Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

Mad Cool Festival is to up sticks for 2018, moving to a site near the Ifema, north of Madrid.

Mad Cool 2018 will take place from 12 to 14 July at ‘Mad Cool Space’, a 100,000sqm, 80,000-capacity site at Valdebebas, a new development located adjacent to the Ifema convention centre north of Madrid. In addition to increasing capacity, the Valdebebas site gives the festival space for seven stages, up from its current five.

http://www.efeeme.com/el-mad-cool-festival-cambia-de-recinto/

mad-cool-30-10-17.jpg

That's a massive increase - 35,000 extra a day. Hope the infrastructure is in place for the upsizing in terms of people getting there and bars, toilets etc. I'm expecting this to be a heavyweight line up, will be interesting to see the first names.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

This looks like its the new site 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@40.4736464,-3.6205523,2382a,35y,357.68h,12.65t/data=!3m1!1e3

Looks fairly out of the way and only houses one train stop by the looks of it - not an abundance of hotels within walking distance either. Nearest metro stop looks a fair walk.  Not sure how they're going to get 80,000 people to and from the site with ease unless they're running masses of shuttle buses or they're doing camping - and who wants to camp in that heat?!

Keeping an eye on this one, think it will be here or Bilbao BBK and given they are on the same weekend that'll rule out Gorillaz and The Xx. 

Will be interesting to see the headliners, Foos Green Day KoL was strong enough but as @DiscothequeDave says this must surely mean they'll be booking some big acts.

I read somewhere the owner has been hinting Pearl Jam are booked? I'd expect Arctics to do Benicassim really but if they announce Foo Fighters I wonder if that puts Mad Cool in the frame. After the trouble getting back at both years of Lollapalooza Berlin by public transport I'll be making sure I'm not reliant on that though. 

Rumours for Mad Cool'17 are Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys and also there is a rumour that Guns N Roses will do a Spanish Fest (Mad Cool? Barcelona Rock Fest? Download Madrid?)

Also The Killers and Bruno Mars seem to do a Spanish Fest (maybe FIB both?)

Also Noel Gallagher is a heavy rumour for Mad Cool.

First headliner will be announced on 7th November, and it will an american act (maybe Pearl Jam?)

Edited by SarahEmpre

4 minutes ago, SarahEmpre said:

Rumours for Mad Cool'17 are Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys and also there is a rumour that Guns N Roses will do a Spanish Fest (Mad Cool? Barcelona Rock Fest? Download Madrid?)

Also The Killers and Bruno Mars seem to do a Spanish Fest (maybe FIB both?)

Also Noel Gallagher is a heavy rumour for Mad Cool.

First headliner will be announced on 7th November, and it will an american act (maybe Pearl Jam?)

(The newsletter for PJ fans is every first tuesday of the month, so it would match with the announcement on 7th November)

7 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

(The newsletter for PJ fans is every first tuesday of the month, so it would match with the announcement on 7th November)

Nice bit of detective work! 

I would be tempted to get at least a day ticket for Pearl Jam. I'm sure they'll play numerous festivals throughout Europe but I really liked Madrid and the new site looks intriguing. And it can't rain like it did this year...can it?

5 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Can definitely see PJ and GnR there. Someone like Coldplay or U2 3rd headliner?

That would be incredibly strong ! I'll be at NOS Alive that week-end, if they take Pearl Jam and Guns'N'Roses from there I'll be stoked :)  

1 minute ago, SPTFRE said:

Nice bit of detective work! 

I would be tempted to get at least a day ticket for Pearl Jam. I'm sure they'll play numerous festivals throughout Europe but I really liked Madrid and the new site looks intriguing. And it can't rain like it did this year...can it?

Is there a campsite joined to the new festival area ?  That's what was really missing this year and made me fly to Portugal instead.

Just now, Tremousse said:

That would be incredibly strong ! I'll be at NOS Alive that week-end, if they take Pearl Jam and Guns'N'Roses from there I'll be stoked :)  

Is there a campsite joined to the new festival area ?  That's what was really missing this year and made me fly to Portugal instead.

No.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

This looks like its the new site 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@40.4736464,-3.6205523,2382a,35y,357.68h,12.65t/data=!3m1!1e3

Looks fairly out of the way and only houses one train stop by the looks of it - not an abundance of hotels within walking distance either. Nearest metro stop looks a fair walk.  Not sure how they're going to get 80,000 people to and from the site with ease unless they're running masses of shuttle buses or they're doing camping - and who wants to camp in that heat?!

There was only one metro station close last year as well and that seemed to work ok. Plus the Valdebebas station looks closer than the station last year. I guess one good thing is that not everyone leaves at the same time. With acts on after the headliner and not finishing until 4.00 am, there is less of a rush to the station.
Having said that, we got a taxi back every night last year as the metro finished at 1.30 am (I think). Maybe I'm just being optimistic as I know there were a number of issues for many people last year, especially about queueing up to get in and the problem getting food at peak times.

6 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Can definitely see PJ and GnR there. Someone like Coldplay or U2 3rd headliner?

Not sure who downvoted me. That's not who I'd actually want at MC but you're talking about pretty much doubling the budget (assuming it's a sell out) and only having 2 extra stages. I could be wrong but given that they've had the Foos, Green Day, The Who and Neil Young already I think it'll be the very top echelon of bands (by size, not necessarily quality) that'll be at the top of the bill with the extra cash available. 

Could be the line up of the summer.

27 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Not sure who downvoted me. That's not who I'd actually want at MC but you're talking about pretty much doubling the budget (assuming it's a sell out) and only having 2 extra stages. I could be wrong but given that they've had the Foos, Green Day, The Who and Neil Young already I think it'll be the very top echelon of bands (by size, not necessarily quality) that'll be at the top of the bill with the extra cash available. 

Could be the line up of the summer.

People sometimes is so stupid downvoting... Dont care about that!

Edited by SarahEmpre
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I mentioned U2 yesterday as a wild guess. Their US tour runs May 2 - 29th June which leaves them free for MC and other July festivals...however, they have announced that fans who buy the deluxe version of their album will get a pre sale link to their gigs in UK, IRELAND, GERMANY, FRANCE, SPAIN, PORTUGAL, DENMARK, ITALY, & HOLLAND. Which would rule them out of NOS & MC as they'll be standalone shows. Always a small chance they'll play festivals anyway as they very rarely do but this definitely rules them out for most of them (slight chance of RW I suppose as there's no proposed standalone Belgium date)

100,000sqm, 80,000-capacity? 

I went to this years edition which was also too crowded. There was practically no space to sit or relax anywhere and there was a constant stream of people to and from the food stands and toilets which were all centralised near the entrance/exit.

2 hours ago, Finge said:

100,000sqm, 80,000-capacity? 

I went to this years edition which was also too crowded. There was practically no space to sit or relax anywhere and there was a constant stream of people to and from the food stands and toilets which were all centralised near the entrance/exit.

It' imposible to run a 80.000 people festival in a 100.000 sqm site. (Think all the surface lost in Stages, Backstages, Press Zone, VIP zone, Security Zones...)

The site must be much bigger than 100.000 sqm.