Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

9 hours ago, dave0h said:

There’ll be announcements about transport soon yeah?

They said they'd communicate on that with the announcements in January lol, I hope so.. Can't imagine that they're gonna let 60-80k people just wander off on their own just like that.

So while we wait for the stage times and accommodation...who are people's tops tips, beyond the main headliners?

For me: Re-Tros are a really fun duo, Goat Girl are getting a lot of hype and - stay with me - Dua Lipa was actually fantastic in Dublin last night and will be well worth a look, pending clashes.

8 hours ago, avocado said:

I have booked hotel in Alcobendas, is it difficult to access in early morning?

I imagine any transport put on by Mad Cool will take you back to the centre of Madrid and not north. There seems to be a nightbus that goes up to Alcobendas from the centre, but I don't think it passes too near the festival site. You might be better off trying to get a cab or something.

https://en.redtransporte.com/madrid/autobuses-nocturnos/n-101-madrid-san-sebastian-de-los-reyes-alcobendas.html

On 11/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, Bury420 said:

I'm still wondering if the tunnel to the IFEMA will be open and if it will be possible to walk through the IFEMA. The carparks of the IFEMA could be used for parking f.e.

IFEMA's parking will be Mad Cool's parking, that has been confirmed for a long time, though they have not yet made official its prices and terms.

About the tunnel, it's expected to be accessible, yes.

Edited by Joshua Homme
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

Just booked our hotel, 10 minute drive from the festival and the same from the airport. Nothing nearby to us except a shopping centre but the hotel run a free shuttle into the city so we'll be making full use of that :)

Have you booked hotel Nuevo by any chance? Sounds exactly where we are 

5 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

Haha yep, that's the one!

Seems that quite a few are heading there. We're a group of 8 and it seemed ideal and had decent enough reviews!

It's really a business hotel but has more positive than negative comments although think shuttle buses only run weekends. We haven't got breakfast included because with the late nights it was just a waste of cash and there are cafes and bars at the shopping centre. Think nearest metro and railway stations are about 15 minutes away but apparently there's a bus stop not far and cheapest option

Its ideal for us because if we have to walk back after festival it's do-able but about an hour! (Hopefully we can get a taxi after but got no idea how long that's going to take) We're also going to do the Real Madrid tour which isn't that far from hotel 

Alright, let's talk a bit about the schedule. Right now there are 25 spots left to fill in. 9 of those will be filled in by the Mahou Talent competition. I read some time ago that the bands who won the talent competition held by NOS Alive would also be added, though I'm not sure about that. Anyone that can confirm? Which leaves us with around 10 more names to be added.

Anyways, some festivals have already dropped their schedule (f.e. Rock Werchter) which gives us an indication of how long sets can be of certain bands or where exactly they'd be; small/big stage or early/late etc. Billing isn't everything and the Coachella schedule is probably the best example for that. Then we already had a few confirmation as to were some bands would be by Bar Tool a few months ago. And last thing we know how the day splits are gonna be 4 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 7 - 8 - 8.

• Pearl Jam > 2h
  • Fleet Foxes > 1h15 and in a tent but confiirmed by Bar Tool they'd be Mainstage.
  • Post Malone > 1h and early on the day in a tent
  • MGMT > 1h in a tent
  • Eels > 1h on the Mainstage
  • James Bay > 1h15 and headlining a tent
  • Jack White > 1h30
  • Arctic Monkeys > 1h30
  • Queens Of The Stone Age > 1h45
  • Snow Patrol > 1h on the Mainstage
  • Ben Howard > 1h in a tent
  • Franz Ferdinand > 1h in a tent
  • Nine Inch Nails > 1h15 in a tent but confirmed by Bar Tool they'd be Mainstage
  • Wolf Alice > on the smallest outdoor stage
  • Jack Johnson > 1h on the Mainstage
  • BRMCC > 1h in a tent
  • Durand Jones > on the smallest outdoor stage
  • Gang Of Youths > 50 min and early in a tent
  • The Last Internationale > 45min and on the Mainstage

Now, I know Mad Cool likes artists to give more time than other festivals, Bar Tool also mentioned that a few months ago regarding how many bands there'd still be added so you can take it with a grain of salt but still. Which probably mean that the amount of time between sets is gonna be a lot smaller because there's no way they can switch up the stages like they did last year. Im gonna edit the clashfinder, any help is always welcome.

You can find that here: https:///s/mcf18

Few changes here and there and gave bands longer set times as there were before. The smaller stages (3th and 4th) make way more sense now in my opinion. 

Biggest changes

• Post Malone from the Main to the thirth stage because he is early in a tent at Rock Werchter and closed the Sahara tent at Coachella this weekend.
  • Moved Eels to the Mainstage because of Rock Werchter schedule.
  • Moved Portugal. The Man as closer of the Mainstage on Saturday because they have some amazing visuals as seen at Coachella this weekend and put Kaleo earlier on the Mainstage.
  • Wolf Alice and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club are moved to smaller stages because of Rock Werchter schedule.
  • Conflicts seem way more realistic now though I still tried to minimize them by f.e. not let Blackbear and Post Malone clash, something from the same genre isn't clashing unless there's no other way.
  • Made electronic acts set times way longer from 75 mins to 90 mins which makes more sense in the way that there are only 6 acts on that whole stage for the whole evening. Electronic acts who are LIVE acts are given 75 mins.

That's all, hope the changes are good, if not let me know :D 

I really don't want Odesza to be between Jack White and Arctic Monkeys. AM will have the second biggest crowd after Pearl Jam and if I don't stay at the main stage after Jack White, I will see them from very far away. Odesza had a crazy good live show at Coachella last weekend but I am not sure how much of it will they bring to Madrid since they are in Germany-Melt Festival just a day before.

16 hours ago, arcuse said:

Alright, let's talk a bit about the schedule. Right now there are 25 spots left to fill in. 9 of those will be filled in by the Mahou Talent competition...

Oh really? I thought someone said they were pretty much done. Well happy days, and there's still hope for Hinds! They were great (as always) last night in Bristol, and only have a gig on the 12th around that time. Hopefully they might turn up on the Fri or Sat.

This sunny British weather is really starting to get me excited!!

I don't think Justice and MGMT will conflict. They attract the same crowd. They even have a song together. (Electric Feel-Remix)

Post Malone will probably be at one of the main stages. Mad Cool will not have a tent as big as the Sahara stage at Coachella

Also Jet will attract a huge crowd. They got the most likes on Instagram at the last announcement even higher than Underworld, Post Malone and Dua Lipa. They will probably be on the main stage and Kaleo on 4th stage.

Also I don't think Nine Inch Nails will clash with Underworld.

Edited by birchtree29