Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

14 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

I'm talking active touring bands, and in my opinion, if they're not now - after this next album they will certainly be in the Coldplay and RHCP bracket. 

I'm reluctant to argue really, because it makes me look stupid for believing it if it turns out it's not happening :lol: When I first heard it was them two, I thought it was a bit ambitious, but over the last 5-6 weeks there's been a lot of hints/rumours pointing towards this pair. At this point if it isn't Arctic Monkeys I'm really struggling to think who else it could be that fits into the clues given. I don't see any reason for them to go weak on the Friday just because the tickets will have sold out (FYI this is the 3 day tickets, around 20-25,000 day tickets are yet to go on sale), and anyway they wouldn't have known these would sell out so quickly when booking headliners.

I don't suppose there's anything concrete to go on, and as I say until it's on the poster I'm not 100% buying it's JW/AM, but I'd certainly be more surprised if their name isn't there come the end of the month than if it was.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alexlloyd said:

I'm reluctant to argue really, because it makes me look stupid for believing it if it turns out it's not happening :lol: When I first heard it was them two, I thought it was a bit ambitious, but over the last 5-6 weeks there's been a lot of hints/rumours pointing towards this pair. At this point if it isn't Arctic Monkeys I'm really struggling to think who else it could be that fits into the clues given. I don't see any reason for them to go weak on the Friday just because the tickets will have sold out (FYI this is the 3 day tickets, around 20-25,000 day tickets are yet to go on sale), and anyway they wouldn't have known these would sell out so quickly when booking headliners.

I don't suppose there's anything concrete to go on, and as I say until it's on the poster I'm not 100% buying it's JW/AM, but I'd certainly be more surprised if their name isn't there come the end of the month than if it was.

Bar Tool even replied to someone yesterday/the day before saying the headliners are who we know. There's no way it isn't those two at this point.

2 hours ago, Honeybane said:

Some basic logic in my opinion..

Open to thoughts too by the way, if anyone wants to pick holes feel free  :) 

Festival line up is stupidly strong already, AM cost an absolute fortune - maybe too much.

They will play TRSMT less than a week prior, TRSMT is owned by Beni organizers.

They won't co-headline, no chance. The biggest band in the world CO-HEADLINING?

Jack White suits that kind of industrial rock/grunge/harder rock headliner line up to a T, and people saying about the poster layout? Utter tripe - it means nothing. 

May be wrong but apparently there are 2000 tix left, seems odd announcing biggest band in the world so late (i know album commitments and touring schedule announcements may have got in the way and Mad Cool can't help that, but it's just a bit strange. Surely you'd plan for it and just release everything at once with an act THAT big.)

And finally, probably the biggest point - you can't have a line up THAT good. Too good to be true in my opinion. 

As said previously, happy to discuss :) 

Do you know how much Arctic Monkeys cost? Especially in Europe where they're not as big as they are here? I doubt they cos as much as someone like Pearl Jam.

Loads of artists play festivals owned by different organisers. Maybe they were signed up for Mad Cool before they had any UK festivals booked, and TRNSMT ended up being the only suitable thing for them to do I  Scotland, so they signed up to do it.

Arctic Monkeys are not the biggest band in the world. They're not even the biggest band in the UK (although they're in that top bracket now with the likes of Coldplay and Foo Fighters), and they're smaller in Europe than here (and even smaller outside of Europe). Yes they're big for a co-headliner but it's most likely gonna be Arctic Monkeys playing at the usual headliner time with Jack White on just before but being billed as a headliner (he's headlining everywhere he's playing so far so it was probably a demand that had to be met for him to be booked).

The lineup isn't industrial rock/grunge on the whole. The headliners so far may be, but the undercard isn't. Considering this is actually makes a lot of sense to have a more mainstream, indie headliner as one of the remaining ones, otherwise what's the point of having acts like Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol and Kasabian on the undercard if all the punters buying tickets are Pearl Jam/NIN fans.

Yes tickets are now sold out but they wouldn't have expected this when booking the headliners and scheduling the announcements. They've even said they were surprised at how quickly tickets sold. They couldn't have done anything other than announce Arctic Monkeys this late seeing as Arctic Monkeys obviously aren't allowing any festivals to announce them yet. Obviously the best course of action is to announce the rest of what you've got and hope that's enough to sell a lot of tickets, and then announce Arctic Monkeys when you finally can. Yeah they've ended up selling out before Arctic Monkeys have been announced but that's just a bonus (there's also still day tickets to be sold).

Yes the lineup is ridiculous, but they've been trying to build the festival up over the last two years and they say this year they've finally got it to the level they want it.

Arctic Monkeys are headlining, their community manager has all but confirmed it (along with Jack White) several times on a forum.

3 hours ago, Honeybane said:

Some basic logic in my opinion..

Open to thoughts too by the way, if anyone wants to pick holes feel free  :) 

Festival line up is stupidly strong already, AM cost an absolute fortune - maybe too much.

They will play TRSMT less than a week prior, TRSMT is owned by Beni organizers.

They won't co-headline, no chance. The biggest band in the world CO-HEADLINING?

Jack White suits that kind of industrial rock/grunge/harder rock headliner line up to a T, and people saying about the poster layout? Utter tripe - it means nothing. 

May be wrong but apparently there are 2000 tix left, seems odd announcing biggest band in the world so late (i know album commitments and touring schedule announcements may have got in the way and Mad Cool can't help that, but it's just a bit strange. Surely you'd plan for it and just release everything at once with an act THAT big.)

And finally, probably the biggest point - you can't have a line up THAT good. Too good to be true in my opinion. 

As said previously, happy to discuss :) 

Arctic Monkeys are not the biggest band in the world by any stretch of the imagination. They wouldn't even be the biggest band on the lineup. Depeche Mode are a bigger band than Arctic Monkeys.

And lets use Metallica as an example, who have a genuine claim to being the biggest band in the world, they're most recent album came out in November 2016 and has global album sales of 2.25 million in 15 months, Arctic Monkeys last album has been out five years and has sold 2.34 million. By time Metallica's album has been out five years it will have by far overtaken Arctic Monkeys last album.

And before you say well of course Metallica sell more now they've been around longer, at the same point Arctic Monkeys were in their career 8 years in, 8 years into Metallica's career they were releasing The Black Album, the biggest selling album in the world since the soundscan era started.

Depeche Mode and Metallica are still setting attendance records around the world in 2017, Arctic Monkeys simply doesn't have the album sales or fanbase to match these two bands in size, and I'm sure people could name other bands bigger than them as well.

Edited by moz4pm
more info

4 hours ago, Honeybane said:

So a fan girl from the States on Twitter is a reliable source? Come on man

Make your research before calling AM US account a fan girl. AM US account don't tweet out false rumors. They were also expecting Arctic Monkeys to headline Firefly Festival, which is now confirmed. They would not get 235 RT 785 likes just for a fake rumor from an unreliable source. 

Edited by birchtree29
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, birchtree29 said:

Make your research before calling AM US account a fan girl. AM US account don't tweet out false rumors. They were also expecting Arctic Monkeys to headline Firefly Festival, which is now confirmed. They would not get 235 RT 785 likes just for a fake rumor from an unreliable source. Also have you checked Arctic Monkey's last instagram story? 40.477614,-3.622057 is mad cool's coordinates with 13/07/18 date attached

There's no story there.

21 hours ago, berger55 said:

Cheers :) That's a pretty good shout. 

I hadn't spotted anything that big on AirBnB but additionally, I'd only looked quickly in passing. 

2 hours ago, popcornmaster said:

Cheers :) That's a pretty good shout. 

I hadn't spotted anything that big on AirBnB but additionally, I'd only looked quickly in passing. 

You're welcome. I just saw it, because I booked a airbnb flat for my me and my mates as well in that part of the city.