Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Move him to another festival when he probably already has his touring schedule mapped out? Move him to another festival put on by the same company (which almost definitely already has its headliners booked) and book another headliner in his place, therefore actually costing Live Nation more money? Just assume Jack White is happy to play wherever they want him to go? If he's been booked to play Mad Cool, he's gonna play Mad Cool.

Even if this year's festival is sold out, they'll be thinking about the long-term future of the festival. Having as strong as possible lineup in the early years will put the festival in people's minds for 2019 onwards when they're thinking about what festival to attend.

Plus, they establish a high standard for the festival, so the following years people are willing to pay even a higher price based on the reputation of the festival and previous strong lineups —> the festival is making more money

^this.

i'm 100% sure the prices will be up for 2019 edition. probably around 200 euros.

it's obvious this festival's progress is targeting its long term success rather than immediate profit. i even doubt they made any kind of profit from the first two editions. if it was, it's probably not a significant one. if they don't need am or jack white to sell out, they probably were not in need for a qotsa/depeche combo, but they still did it though. i definitely expect two solid co-headliners

Edited by neacaisa

33 minutes ago, zbo said:

Plus, they establish a high standard for the festival, so the following years people are willing to pay even a higher price based on the reputation of the festival and previous strong lineups —> the festival is making more money

Yeah I take your point but the lineup is strong enough to do that already. I don’t think that Jack White for example being bumped for someone that costs less should be radical enough to spark this much debate to be honest (especially when no-one knows who’s playing). Early bird tix for this last year we’re £105 it’s a festival that’s very much finding what it’s limits are. Either way enjoy your week.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Fair enough. Where did you get this about his album being announced on Friday, though? I've seen nothing about that other than someone posting about that vault 35 thing in here, which won't be an album announcement.

The Vault is a membership system that is made by Third Man Records which is a record label owned by Jack White in Nashville,TN. Both third man records instagram account and the vault twitter account is giving hints for a single that will be announced this friday. It's name might be "Connected to Love" Jack White usually release his albums in spring (Lazaretto-06/06/14, Blunderbuss-23/04/12). Also shaky knees just announced Jack White as a headliner and Bonnaroo might announce him as well tomorrow. I don't know when Jack White rumors have started for Mad Cool Festival but the announcement will probably come after all the U.S. festivals releases their lineup.

Edited by birchtree29

2 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

The Vault is a membership system that is made by Third Man Records which is a record label owned by Jack White in Nashville,TN. Both third man records instagram account and the vault twitter account is giving hints for a single that will be announced this friday. It's name might be "Connected to Love" Jack White usually release his albums in spring (Lazaretto-06/06/14, Blunderbuss-23/04/12). Also shaky knees just announced Jack White as a headliner and Bonnaroo might announce him as well tomorrow. I don't know when Jack White rumors have started for Mad Cool Festival but the announcement will probably come after all the U.S. festivals releases their lineup.

Huh I know what The Vault and Third Man Records are. I guess it could be an album/single announcement with a special package for vault members or something; didn't realise there'd been hints about a new single.

And I know when Jack White released his previous albums and I was assuming the new one would be out before he hits up festivals. I don't really get why you said half of that stuff to me, I just wanted to know where you'd heard an album announcement was coming on Friday.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Huh I know what The Vault and Third Man Records are. I guess it could be an album/single announcement with a special package for vault members or something; didn't realise there'd been hints about a new single.

And I know when Jack White released his previous albums and I was assuming the new one would be out before he hits up festivals. I don't really get why you said half of that stuff to me, I just wanted to know where you'd heard an album announcement was coming on Friday.

Haha sorry I thought you asked what the vault was.  Last time when Jack White have released "High Ball Stepper" single, he also made the announcement for his new album. A lot of people are expecting a new album announcement because of that in r/jackwhite. 

Just now, birchtree29 said:

Haha sorry I thought you asked what the vault was.  Last time when Jack White have released "High Ball Stepper" single, he also made the announcement for his new album. A lot of people are expecting a new album announcement because of that in r/jackwhite. 

Ah fair, yeah I remember the High Ball Stepper release/album announcement coming together; was that done via the vault?

42 minutes ago, DHG123 said:

Yeah I take your point but the lineup is strong enough to do that already. I don’t think that Jack White for example being bumped for someone that costs less should be radical enough to spark this much debate to be honest (especially when no-one knows who’s playing). Early bird tix for this last year we’re £105 it’s a festival that’s very much finding what it’s limits are. Either way enjoy your week.

My point is not about the booking of Jack White in particular, it is about the headliner booking in general. Given the fact that they are trying to set up a high standard for the festival (day 1 and 3 headliners and subs say so), it would not make any sense not to book two very stong names for day 2 (there’s the dot on the empty poster, so it means two heads like Depeche and QOTSA), whoever they will be

24 minutes ago, zbo said:

My point is not about the booking of Jack White in particular, it is about the headliner booking in general. Given the fact that they are trying to set up a high standard for the festival (day 1 and 3 headliners and subs say so), it would not make any sense not to book two very stong names for day 2 (there’s the dot on the empty poster, so it means two heads like Depeche and QOTSA), whoever they will be

Hence why I said the words ‘for example’.

You’re assuming they are trying to set a standard. Setting a standard could also mean unachievable expectations of customers going forward if they set too high of a bar.

I clearly agreed with your point on setting an expectation but countered that it’s strong enough already to not need another big name to do that.

I introduced a hypothetical that they could be cost saving as the fest will sell out anyway, and additionally as they already set a high standard for future sales.

As always given that I wrote this without referencing anyone what so ever this obviously 100% my opinion and people are allowed to have that.

Guys, relax!
I don't know if AM or Jack White will be added to the Line Up. 
But what I know is that the upcoming bands have been booked a long time ago. They probably already booked bands for 2019.

It's not unusual that headliners can influence the booking of bands playing the same day before them, so you can't just move the headliner to another festival without additional consequences.

I bet that most of the big bands were already booked when the early bird phase was running. 

So talking about cheap prices and loss is nothing than blabla and unspecified rumours. 

I think there's a strong possibility Mad Cool is making a big name for themselves right now. People are incredibly excited about this lineup, it would be a step backwards to soft-shoe the final headliner. 

They want people talking about how great Mad Cool was for years. That's more valuable to them then an extra $500k because they decided to back out of Jack White. 

Bar Tool has said over the last few days, too, that in the first couple of years of the festival they weren't able to have the lineup how they wanted due to it being a new festival. He said that this year's lineup is the first one that reflects what they wanted Mad Cool to be, and that this year's lineup will be what they're looking to emulate in coming years. If they've been trying to build the festival up to this point and have finally been able to build the type of lineup they want, they're not going to compromise on it.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Ah fair, yeah I remember the High Ball Stepper release/album announcement coming together; was that done via the vault?

Nah. The Vault is pretty exclusive, I don't think he'll be announcing an album in connection with that. I'' pretty sure there is a new Vault announcement this time of year every year anyways. 

Btw I was told a few months back Arctic Monkeys news is coming 'end of Jan', which I suspect is deliberelty non-committal, but i'd doubt they'll be announced for anything anywhere over the next two weeks

38 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Bar Tool has said over the last few days, too, that in the first couple of years of the festival they weren't able to have the lineup how they wanted due to it being a new festival. He said that this year's lineup is the first one that reflects what they wanted Mad Cool to be, and that this year's lineup will be what they're looking to emulate in coming years. If they've been trying to build the festival up to this point and have finally been able to build the type of lineup they want, they're not going to compromise on it.

They're hardly gonna say this ones OK, but the one next year will be better... Lol

Bit off the current topic, but there's a group of 10 of us going this year, already got our tickets so just looking around for accommodation. 

Has anyone booked anywhere yet and if so where abouts? Should we just aim in the centre of Madrid and use transport links to get out to the festival or try and get a place as close to the festival as possible?

44 minutes ago, CJTM said:

They're hardly gonna say this ones OK, but the one next year will be better... Lol

Well no but the main point was that they weren't fully happy with last year's so they're clearly still trying to build the brand. They're not gonna purposely weaken this one if they haven't yet reached where they want to be.

And if they want next year's to be bigger/better than this, that's even more reason to make this year as strong as possible to attract bigger acts next year.

49 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Nah. The Vault is pretty exclusive, I don't think he'll be announcing an album in connection with that. I'' pretty sure there is a new Vault announcement this time of year every year anyways. 

Btw I was told a few months back Arctic Monkeys news is coming 'end of Jan', which I suspect is deliberelty non-committal, but i'd doubt they'll be announced for anything anywhere over the next two weeks

Hmm I had a gander on Reddit and a forum after he made those posts and most on there seem to be expecting it to be a special package relating to a new album/single that will be announced at the same time.

Edit: I'm not thinking the album would be announced via this vault announcement. But that the album would be announced at the same time as/before vault 35 is revealed to be a special package relating to it. Guess he dont have long to see how it pans out, though.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Hmm I had a gander on Reddit and a forum after he made those posts and most on there seem to be expecting it to be a special package relating to a new album/single that will be announced at the same time.

Edit: I'm not thinking the album would be announced via this vault announcement. But that the album would be announced at the same time as/before vault 35 is revealed to be a special package relating to it. Guess he dont have long to see how it pans out, though.

Yeah, I don't think they've ever done anything like that before. As dental said earlier in the thread its normally either stuff left in stock they need to shift with some extra shit (badges, art prints etc.) or a special edition press of some rare recording that would be nice but you don't really need. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Someone just said on the forum that Bar Tool has confirmed Saturday will go Jack Johnson > QOTSA > Depeche Mode > NIN on stages 1 and 2. They're also laughing at our clashfiner for having Tame Impala and Franz Ferdinand at 7pm and 6pm.

I don't know if it had been confirmed anywhere either but he's said the below. So 12 hours of music should hopefully mean a few less clashes, presumably that could be roughly ten acts across the two main stages? Considering they can't both be on at the same time and some e.g. Pearl Jam will be 2 hours+. That leaves about 30 acts to be spread out across the other 5 stages each day.

12 hours. From 5:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Start of the direct 16:00. Curfew 04:30
Pearl Jam will be more than 2 hours. What they have requested
We will try, among all, to avoid painful lapses. Although some will.

53 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Someone just said on the forum that Bar Tool has confirmed Saturday will go Jack Johnson > QOTSA > Depeche Mode > NIN on stages 1 and 2. They're also laughing at our clashfiner for having Tame Impala and Franz Ferdinand at 7pm and 6pm.

Lmao how else were they gonna program it? 
Tame Impala right after Pearl Jam? Fleet Foxes in the MGMT spot, MGMT itself on the 3th stage conflicting with Tame Impala?
Yeah, I already thought that Pearl Jam were getting 2h+ set time 

edit: like this?
M1: QOTSA > Depeche Mode
M2: Jack Johnson > NiN
Imma try an edit that into the clashfinder and see if it works lol

Edited by arcuse

33 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Lmao how else were they gonna program it? 
Tame Impala right after Pearl Jam? Fleet Foxes in the MGMT spot, MGMT itself on the 3th stage conflicting with Tame Impala?
Yeah, I already thought that Pearl Jam were getting 2h+ set time 

edit: like this?
M1: QOTSA > Depeche Mode
M2: Jack Johnson > NiN
Imma try an edit that into the clashfinder and see if it works lol

No.  It's JJ M1, QOTSA M2, Depeche M1, NIN M2. At least the last 3 without clashing and both QOTSA and NIN concerts will last the same (I'd say 1.30h), meanwhile Depeche's will be longer.

Something like:

Jack Johnson 19:45-20:45 (main stage 1)
QOTSA 21:15-22:45 (main stage 2)
Depeche 22:55-0:55h (main stage 1)
NIN 1:00-2:30 (main stage 2)

would make sense to me.

Edited by Joshua Homme

49 minutes ago, Joshua Homme said:

No.  It's JJ M1, QOTSA M2, Depeche M1, NIN M2. At least the last 3 without clashing and both QOTSA and NIN concerts will last the same (I'd say 1.30h), meanwhile Depeche's will be longer.

Something like:

Jack Johnson 19:45-20:45 (main stage 1)
QOTSA 21:15-22:45 (main stage 2)
Depeche 22:55-0:55h (main stage 1)
NIN 1:00-2:30 (main stage 2)

would make sense to me.

I'd be surprised if Depeche Mode did much more than 90 minutes. (As much as I'd love them to.)

I've read a few interviews with them where Gahan says he doesn't really have the stamina for long shows anymore.

an mgmt-tame impala clash would make no sense. mgmt seems the most likely to headline third stage right now, probably against pearl jam. if pearl jam plays smth like 2:15h , mgmt on third and justice on electronica will probably overlap with most of their set. this makes sense the most for me based on the current poster.

plus i think we might have 2-3 more big names besides the two friday co-headliners. saturday's second line is lacking a bit with rag'n'bone and that spanish rapper guy there.

don't rush into making clashfinders and if you do it, don't belive too much in them, do it just for fun.

Edited by neacaisa