Mad Cool 2018

JBarbour

4 minutes ago, Jangus said:

Hi folks, what an amazing line up! I got tickets for me and my GF yesterday. Never been to Madrid before, really looking forward to it, looking at flying from Edinburgh on the Tuesday or Wednesday

if anyone could help on the below questions that would be great!

How many stages are there? 

What time do the bands play until?

Is there a chance that Depeche Mode/QOTSA will clash?

Cheers all, absolutely buzzing for this!

7 stages / Until 5am / Depeche mode, QOTSA and NIN won’t clash 

• Like 1

Bar Tool is back online, I've just read through his responses from today, few bits of info!

In response to whether we'll get news when the prices go up...

The offer ends on Monday night.
Tuesday will raise the price, although there are very few bonds on sale.
News at the end of the week.

In response to someone mentioning if Wolf Alice will be there...

Next week we announce more bands.

Regarding the ticket sales of Saturday...

Surprisingly, on Saturday, it only carries 2,000 less-than-sales tickets on Thursday.
The fertilizers will be exhausted in a few days.

Regarding the amount of bands...

They have had to make readjustments for several factors and the final poster will be 130 bands.

(Also mentioned some bands have asked for long slots so 2/3 acts have been moved, that's why there's been 'adjustments' to avoid major clashes)

When asked if Moby can be ruled out...

Moby fits in the line of the festival.

Also when asked if it would be a headliner next Friday from 'the other side of the pond' he just put three smiley faces.

Justice and Massive Attack will be on the 'Electronica' Stage.

Also ruled out Neil Young but said he's planned for future editions.

When asked regarding transport info etc. he did mention this will come next week, possibly before the Friday artist announcements. From all of the above I'm going to assume an American headliner (Jack White?) is being announced next Friday and possible Arctics as well? Rock Werchter have said their next announcement is mid January, so if they're also waiting on them Friday 12th is around mid Jan... if not perhaps first headliner Friday 12th, Arctics W/C 15th?

Edited by alexlloyd
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Nice work, saves me scrolling through the pages.

All positive news as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have the longer sets from bands instead of squeezing loads of bands in.

Yeah, it was my turn :lol: I agree, there's nothing there that I didn't want to hear... I don't know how likely it is they'll announce both headliners on the same day but at the very least we'll have one of them by this time next week. Also Wolf Alice and Moby would be another two to add to my list so they'd be welcome additions next week.

From what the actual comments were he was replying to, I get the impression it was meant to be slightly more than 130? But 2/3 acts have been 'adjusted', I can't imagine they were anyone major so if it removes a couple of potential clashes for me that's even better.

58 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Regarding the ticket sales of Saturday...

Surprisingly, on Saturday, it only carries 2,000 less-than-sales tickets on Thursday.
The fertilizers will be exhausted in a few days.

What the hell does this mean? lol

Is this referring to Saturday-only tickets? Or the number of tickets currently remaining for sale?

27 minutes ago, Friend Chicken said:

What the hell does this mean? lol

Is this referring to Saturday-only tickets? Or the number of tickets currently remaining for sale?

He's been hinting at the weekend ones selling out for a while so I'd assume those. I can't imagine he's referring to Saturday selling out soon because he said Thursday has sold 2,000 more... so they'd either have been mentioned as well or already be sold out.

Edited by alexlloyd

He's back. seemingly confirming The Gaslight Anthem as well!

Bar, would you discard The Gaslight Anthem, which has already confirmed for the Governors doing a reunion tour? I suppose they will make a date for Europe. By the way, happy year! Very Happy

TGA fit into the festival line.

Justice and Massive Attack being on an electronic stage is terrible news. Assumed they'd be on the main stage after the headliners and thus avoiding clashes.

And yeah I think "fit the festival line" means they're suitable; he's said it about loads of other acts, including ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, which I read yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Justice and Massive Attack being on an electronic stage is terrible news. Assumed they'd be on the main stage after the headliners and thus avoiding clashes.

And yeah I think "fit the festival line" means they're suitable; he's said it about loads of other acts, including ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, which I read yesterday.

well they could be on the electronic stage after the headliners, since music goes on until 5am, let’s hope for that!

Edited by zbo

Just now, zbo said:

well they could be on the electronic stage after the headliners, since music goes on until 5am, let’s hope for that!

Yeah but the two main stages alternate until the festival ends at 5am so it'd clash with headliners of one of the two main stages. Could easily be Tame Impala, NIN and Alice in Chains headlining 2nd.

6 minutes ago, zbo said:

Bar Tool just confirmed that the 'Electronica' stage will be in a tent with a capacity of 25,000. For perspective, the NME tent at Reading holds 20,000. Massive Attack will also play after the main stage headliner.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

"Massive will be after the heads and will give time. 
The problem is the overlap with Massive, that we do not like right now and we are seeing how we solve it."

Okay thank fuck. Hopefully same with Tame Impala.

Beat me to it

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah but the two main stages alternate until the festival ends at 5am so it'd clash with headliners of one of the two main stages. Could easily be Tame Impala, NIN and Alice in Chains headlining 2nd.

Bar Tools said that Massive Attack are on after the headliner.

Also that the Electronica Tent is 25,000 capacity!

The 'fits the festival line' comment seems strange to me, if he's openly ruling acts out then I don't see why he'd change to this cryptic response if they weren't playing. I suppose only time will tell, but Moby, Wolf Alice and TGA had already been considered likely candidates before today anyway.

2 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

The 'fits the festival line' comment seems strange to me, if he's openly ruling acts out then I don't see why he'd change to this cryptic response if they weren't playing. I suppose only time will tell, but Moby, Wolf Alice and TGA had already been considered likely candidates before today anyway.

Because he doesn't want to/can't officially confirm any act. There's no reason to, as long as the act eventually will be on the poster.

5 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I'm sure I remember him saying it about loads of acts back when everyone was grilling him about who the final headliners were gonna be.

5 minutes ago, Orens said:

Because he doesn't want to/can't officially confirm any act. There's no reason to, as long as the act eventually will be on the poster.

That's my point, if they weren't playing I'd have thought he'd just rule them out like he has others. So while he cannot 100% confirm any act, the 'fits the line' response would hint that they are playing. I won't consider bands 100% until they're on the poster anyway, but it is nice to see so many bands I'd add to my 'will go to see list' being hinted at!

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm sure I remember him saying it about loads of acts back when everyone was grilling him about who the final headliners were gonna be.

Ahh, I haven't looked that far back to be honest it's quite a confusing layout, it seems to create a new topic after it reaches 40 pages with a link to the next one at the end!

Primavera is bringing back Slowdive to both Barcelona and Madrid in March, so I guess they're ruled out from both Primavera and Mad Cool (they decided to cancel their 2017 performance at the last minute after learning about the stuntman who was killed earlier that evening).