It's not like me to act as devil's advocate(!),  but just to say that it occurred to me that the reason might be because they do not want to allow the possibility of them being associated with a persons who was 'alive' when they arrived at 'their' sponsored festival, and then dying during that festival. I'm not sure if there are more deaths nowadays, and possibly, surprisingly, I am not an advocate for drug taking (because that's the cause), but FFS it's going on, it will always go on, has 'always' gone on, and if people don't know what they are getting, the purity of what they are getting etc then we are all complicit in allowing more deaths to occur than would actually be the case were their a more informed choice at the point of consumption by not doing anything about it. Fuck!

10 hours ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I wonder why they pulled the plug on sponsorship after all this time. Shite festival anyway really, especially the last few years line up

I think you have answered your own question there. As far as I'm aware it never had the best reputation but what it had definitely went down hill in recent years.

I'm hoping the rebranding and extra day helps the festival. I'm unlikely to ever go but the opportunity to go is always a benefit. Also it absorbs a load of festival chavs by the sounds of it.

Fuck I miss read.. But this I have not miss read 

Bestival has applied for a licence in August 2nd / 5th which if I'm not mistaken is the following camp bestival which is a cunning plan cos alot of the structure will be in place.. 

Alot less hassle for the village the only downside is if camp bestival is wet then the place will be really bad.. If you have been to Lulworth for a festival it's beautiful but they have there own hill of death which connects two camp areas.. 

And there's todays news 

I hope I got this right. 

Oh on a personal level I'm not sure the Lulworth estate will go for having two festivals so close together.. 

35 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Oh on a personal level I'm not sure the Lulworth estate will go for having two festivals so close together.. 

do you think bestival would have announced the two festivals close together if the Lulworth estate wouldn't allow it? :lol:

And on top of that, just like the two together is great for bestival's finances, it will be for the lulworth estate too. They lose use of the site to sell to other clients (weddings, mainly, I think) for less of the summer than they do with the festivals spread out.

Its a definite win/win for bestival and the estate.

11 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I used to go to V Festival a decade ago, but it gradually changed more and more for a younger pop-based demographic, it barely even feels like a Glastonbury competitor anymore.

Was it ever a Glastonbury competitor? :blink:

I haven't been to V for a decade or more, only ever to Chelmsford, and it wasn't really my sort of thing. But I always thought V was good at what did, and what it did was 'festival lite'.

Something like that has its place in the market but I wouldn't put it as a Glastonbury competitor. V is a night out with the lads. Glastonbury is a mates 2-week mission to Marbella. Or something.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

do you think bestival would have announced the two festivals close together if the Lulworth estate wouldn't allow it? :lol:

And on top of that, just like the two together is great for bestival's finances, it will be for the lulworth estate too. They lose use of the site to sell to other clients (weddings, mainly, I think) for less of the summer than they do with the festivals spread out.

Its a definite win/win for bestival and the estate.

I can see how it'll be a win win but if the place gets wet as it did this year I don't think the ground will take it.. 

Hey what do I know I'm just trying to make conversation.. I'm booked for next year with my grandkids so as long as it's nice the other bestival can go whistle lol

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Was it ever a Glastonbury competitor? :blink:

I haven't been to V for a decade or more, only ever to Chelmsford, and it wasn't really my sort of thing. But I always thought V was good at what did, and what it did was 'festival lite'.

Something like that has its place in the market but I wouldn't put it as a Glastonbury competitor. V is a night out with the lads. Glastonbury is a mates 2-week mission to Marbella. Or something.

To the average Joe, I would argue V is (or was) a Glastonbury competitor. The average Joe will look at the festival line ups of the big festivals such as Glastonbury, V, Leeds/Reading, Isle Of Wight, etc. and see lots of familiar famous names. Even though Glastonbury tickets have to be bought before the line up has been announced, they can see from previous years what kind of names are announced, so all these big festivals will look similar form the outside. They will have no idea how Glastonbury is so much more than that (until they go, of course).

11 hours ago, Little Andy said:

To the average Joe, I would argue V is (or was) a Glastonbury competitor. The average Joe will look at the festival line ups of the big festivals such as Glastonbury, V, Leeds/Reading, Isle Of Wight, etc. and see lots of familiar famous names. Even though Glastonbury tickets have to be bought before the line up has been announced, they can see from previous years what kind of names are announced, so all these big festivals will look similar form the outside. They will have no idea how Glastonbury is so much more than that (until they go, of course).

Nothing can compare to Glastonbury as a whole we all know that it's the WHOLE THING but I think for myself the best thing is knowing that once you are in you are in there's none of this camping and arena stuff. I know Glastonbury has no plans to ever do this but it really is something wonderful... I just wish that they could do something for the SE corner.. But hey can't have it all can we lol. 

Happy Wednesday all

On 31/10/2017 at 9:43 AM, guypjfreak said:

Fuck I miss read.. But this I have not miss read 

Bestival has applied for a licence in August 2nd / 5th which if I'm not mistaken is the following camp bestival which is a cunning plan cos alot of the structure will be in place.. 

Alot less hassle for the village the only downside is if camp bestival is wet then the place will be really bad.. If you have been to Lulworth for a festival it's beautiful but they have there own hill of death which connects two camp areas.. 

And there's todays news 

I hope I got this right. 

Interesting. Aparantly Shambala were in negotiations with Lulworth to move there. Was all going well until Rob da Bank elbowed his way in waving cash. That resulted in Shambala signing another several years contract with the landowner in The Midlands. Wonder if there is any wriggle room for a Shambala move now?

8 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Interesting. Aparantly Shambala were in negotiations with Lulworth to move there. Was all going well until Rob da Bank elbowed his way in waving cash. That resulted in Shambala signing another several years contract with the landowner in The Midlands. Wonder if there is any wriggle room for a Shambala move now?

Don't know old son but I do know that the purbeck council are quite OK with allowing festivals.. My sons festival is just down the road from there and they are always happy to help with out putting up loads of barriers.. 

I would say the summer is long enough to get 3 festivals in but as you know like this year it went bloody fast lol.. At least it did for me lol. 

Personally I think Shambala would be a better option than bestival.. Not that I've been to Shambala but seen the pics etc 

Hope you and yours are well james....G

10 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

There definitely was a lot of talk about moving Shambala to Dorset -  they even had a licence application in on a site about a year ago, but that's the first time I've heard anyone mention Lulworth Castle.

From what I've read, the potential move seems to have mostly been either a negotiating tactic or contingency in case they couldn't agree a new deal. From what I've read & heard, the preference was always to stay at Kelmarsh if possible hence signing a new 10 year deal and not following through on the application elsewhere.

I've been to V for well over 10 years now and will more than likely continue to go in its new guise.  As eFestivals said it has its place.  Its a great first festival, and was mine, and good introduction to see if you want to take the step up to bigger and more Glasto esk things, again which i did and have now done with my Nieces and there mates aswell who are already asking about Glasto 2019 having done 2 V's. 

Edited by watsonjm

13 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Saw something today with a rumour (yeah one of those friend of a friend, good source etc etc), that says Sky is taking over V festival

Skyfest anyone ?

It seems plausible but would go against axing some of their Sky Arts channels that used to show loads of festival coverage. The stoop from Branson fest to Murdock fest assures beyond any doubt that I would never attend.