Bestival 2018 incoming!

smogo

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Nobody gives a shit about the backing band - if the singers female then it’s a female act.

:lol: 

Anyway I think they're great value for this slot and I'm pleased they've finally been given the leg up by a decent sized festival. They sold out big venues at the end of last year and have produced two decent albums now. 

Not everyone's cup of tea and I agree probably not really the Bestival vibe, but goon on em still

1 minute ago, rseamer said:

I really like this line up. It very much feels like the Bestival's of old. 

And it looks very different to many of the line ups of the bigger festivals.

I mean...Chaka Khan, East 17's Christmas Party and London Grammar. That's pretty all over the place... how I like it!

Good to see Stacey's is back as well...I loved that place last year and sacked off A Tribe Called Quest because of it.

I don't think I'd pick it out now with the competition but I don't think it's a bad go when looking at the lineup on a whole. Plenty of acts that I know are great to watch, and yeah you always get a variety. 

Headliners seem like unnecessary promotions from recent years, but I can gladly live in a world where M.I.A. headlines festivals. The all-female headliner grab dos work kinda well when it coes out opposite the all-male Y NOT headliners.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If Rob was late to the Britney party, there could be those sorts of conditions on him, so that he doesn't perhaps undermine their sales.

Didn't she sell everything out in seconds? Even if there's more to come I'm sure it would be a similar situation.

But hey I don't write contracts and worry about this sort of stuff, maybe would still include clauses like that for names as big as hers.

Really fancied it this year especially with not many other UK fests tickling my fancy. Even though I know there’s a lot of fun to be had down there this first wave of the line up just isn’t grabbing me at all.

The more worrying thing for me is how well/poorly will this sell? With the moving of dates to the middle of summer and no Glastonbury this year I had a feeling a rather big line up may have been on its way.

I really do hate not having a good old fez to pitch the tent up at but with the way things are looking so far it may be more individual days out. 

See some of you at Citadel for TI. 

Edited by StevieGed

It isn't a WOW line up...

But I quite like it and to be honest I think it's arguably better than the first announcement last year. I am a London Grammar fan though.

i think the main stage undercard is better than last year. Justice was a big pull last year and they didn't even play (Soulwax were ace though). The big top announcement is better imo too.

I think it's enough for me to be getting a ticket. Holding on until the Kendal line up but looking at the state of the Y not line up Bestival is leading the way.

EDIT also they said on twitter final headliner to be announced early March

Edited by arteet

I was initially very disappointed but you're paying for a cracking festival with a great atmosphere, lots to do and a really good nightlife. Something you're hard pressed to get anywhere else in Europe. The bands/acts are extra on that. We spend so much time looking at purely names we forget to address the festival itself.

I think the likes of Chaka Khan & Jimmy Cliff will be great fun during the day and London Grammar will be a nice chill headliner like The XX were, plus a lot of good funk acts all throughout.

• Upvote 1

As someone has said, feels like a Bestival of old line up, some (relatively) left field choices to headline, some interest in the smaller acts on the main stage and some fun to be had on the smaller stages. It will live and die on the price and I think the current price is about as high as they should really be looking to go. It's a shame, but I can kinda seeing it struggle a bit, I may be totally wrong but I think a large number of the old Bestival heads that would appreciate the line up a bit more have probably moved onto different festivals now, and there probably isn't enough to grab the 18-25 demographic with that bill. 

13 minutes ago, rseamer said:

Just out of interests what would be a great line up for you? (Based on the festival size)

And why is this shite?

As much as I’d love to spend my evening typing out a hypothetical line-up for you based on my tastes, I’m off to Brick Lane for a curry.

very sadly it doesn’t appeal to me at all - I hope you have an absolute blast.

Sorry for linking to The Scum but there is a HUGE Bestival sized hole in Britney's tour schedule. Can't see how it's going to be anyone else tbh (see list of international dates below the UK dates)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3208354/britney-spears-tour-tickets-uk-dates/

Edited by swelsbyuk

18 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

As someone has said, feels like a Bestival of old line up, some (relatively) left field choices to headline, some interest in the smaller acts on the main stage and some fun to be had on the smaller stages. It will live and die on the price and I think the current price is about as high as they should really be looking to go. It's a shame, but I can kinda seeing it struggle a bit, I may be totally wrong but I think a large number of the old Bestival heads that would appreciate the line up a bit more have probably moved onto different festivals now, and there probably isn't enough to grab the 18-25 demographic with that bill. 

This is my feeling as well. Hope they can make a success of it, a big headliner like The Streets or Arcade Fire on an exclusive would really help shift tickets.

I think the type of people who would be interested in Britney wouldn't necessarily want to go to Bestival, especially with her playing a few dates around it...

I'll probably be working it again. I would say the undercard is stronger this year than the last few festivals, and I hope that they will continue to put more emphasis on the smaller venues like Stacey's and Caravanserai.

I was initially disappointed but I think I would have bought by ticket straight away if only they'd replaced London Grammar with someone better/someone I was more excited for. Now just going to wait for the second wave or acts and the final headliner before I decide for sure but I really want to go after going in 2016.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Certainly doesn’t look like Britney Spears anyway if that is in fact the acts name covered up. 

Would it be beyond the realms of possibility that it's the Spice Girls? looks like 8-10 letters in the name to me and certainly fits in with the theme of girl power... well they did invent it after all.

First thought was Dolly Parton as RDB has been after her for years, but the first letter looks like a 'S' or a 'C' to me.

The description on London grammar on the website says they are headlining Friday, buts it's actually Saturday.

Britney can't do Saturday so maybe they moved LG to accommodate :lol:

or maybe it's a typo.

I don't think (or want) it will be Britney anyway. 

Edited by arteet

This is the first festival I've bought an early-bird without seeing the lineup.  At least it wasn't a gamble on the scale of Bitcoin.  First two headliners a bit underwhelming, but can see London Grammar supplying a similar atmosphere to the xx.  Subheadliners really strong, saw Chaka Khan last year, she's still got it.  Maybe a little less hip-hop and a little more reggae on the bill this year?  My one big tip is to see Confidence Man on the big top, they'll get the tent grooving.

2 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I may be totally wrong but I think a large number of the old Bestival heads that would appreciate the line up a bit more have probably moved onto different festivals now, and there probably isn't enough to grab the 18-25 demographic with that bill. 

you're not wrong at all. loads of us used to go but dont any more as the festival market has been gradually segmented. The lineup really does appeal to me as a throwback to the best bestival days. For strength in depth and a party atmosphere i think this is a pretty decent lineup but for that kind of money and travel from the north they really need at least one knock it out of the park headliner which they absolutely do not have. Grace Jones is a living legend mind and will put on an amazing performance. 

Its competition is now the likes of Green Man, Kendal, Lost Village, Bluedot, Fest No 6 rather than Glastonbury. I will be going to lost village and bluedot this year as they're a lot closer for me travel wise (and I am getting a freebie to one of them). If I lived down south and it was closer I would look to go to bestival with the expectation of picking up a cheaper 2nd hand ticket in the run up to the festival as there is no way on earth this is selling out. If you could grab a ticket for £100 I think it'd be very worthwhile.