Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

how is participatory (in the way i think you're meaning) when it's exclusive? :blink:

As in, you take part (i.e. participate) in the theatricality of BT Springs Neil, you doofus!

In contrast to just having the cash to splurge on a ridiculously sanitised and posh 'festival' experience...i.e. like my friend at GF last year!

Ben
:)

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

how is participatory (in the way i think you're meaning) when it's exclusive? :blink:

Just read your post again!

Yes, I see what you mean about that - i.e. all well and good being immersive and theatrical and 'very Boomtown', but not if only a handful of people who can afford the higher ticket price can be involved.

Good point. Ignore me!

Ben

21 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

As in, you take part (i.e. participate) in the theatricality of BT Springs Neil, you doofus!

except you can't take part without the relevant ticket.

21 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

In contrast to just having the cash to splurge on a ridiculously sanitised and posh 'festival' experience...i.e. like my friend at GF last year!

Ben

I think you're missing the point.

Your mate got a bed and a posh brekkie that he paid extra for; BT-Spring-ers get a bed and some extra entertainment they've paid extra for.

And while having already paid for entertainment they can't now take part in if they're taking part in their exclusive entertainment instead.

At least your mate wasn't daft enough to be buying two breakfasts. :P

59 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

except you can't take part without the relevant ticket.

I think you're missing the point.

Your mate got a bed and a posh brekkie that he paid extra for; BT-Spring-ers get a bed and some extra entertainment they've paid extra for.

And while having already paid for entertainment they can't now take part in if they're taking part in their exclusive entertainment instead.

At least your mate wasn't daft enough to be buying two breakfasts. :P

I am with you on this, it does seem eye wateringly expensive, I understand they will be putting on extra show as it were for the springs people. we will never find out how many people buy the springs tickets just for the extra show they get, and how many buy them as it's a last gap chance to get a ticket to the festival. 

i don't begrudge them trying to make extra money after all a festival to us is an experience we all enjoy , but to them and the funders it is a business. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's quite possible for the festival to generate the same income without selling stupidly-priced tickets.

agreed, but it is their business and if it fails I am sure they won;t do it again.

I wouldn't pay for the extra, I am sure they are doing it just as a way to get people who want a ticket so they can get one paying extra.

40 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

agreed, but it is their business and if it fails I am sure they won;t do it again.

I wouldn't pay for the extra, I am sure they are doing it just as a way to get people who want a ticket so they can get one paying extra.

The problem is I don't think it will fail, I think even at that price it's still going to sell out. People on the ticket resale websites were previously paying over £500 just to get GA tickets (at least before Boomtown Springs was announced, it's come down a bit now). I also know someone who bought a GA ticket for £475 from a total stranger on Facebook about a month ago (I'm sure he now regrets). People are desperate to get in this year for sure!

If they sell out Boomtown Springs, which I believe they will, they will do it again next year, but leave a sour taste in the mouth of those who just wanted a normal ticket and bought it only out of desperation, rather than a desire to be a VIP. This can only cause long term damage to the reputation of the festival, even if it appears to demonstrate financial success in the short term.

VIP upgrades is one thing, but I think forcing people to buy them as the only way into the festival is entirely a different thing all together. The remaining tickets should have been sold as GA, with upgrades being optional, not mandatory. I love the festival, but I don't think I can support this obvious money grab. What a shame.

Edited by Sku

20 minutes ago, Sku said:

The problem is I don't think it will fail, I think even at that price it's still going to sell out. People on the ticket resale websites were previously paying over £500 just to get GA tickets (at least before Boomtown Springs was announced, it's come down a bit now). I also know someone who bought a GA ticket for £475 from a total stranger on Facebook about a month ago (I'm sure he now regrets). People are desperate to get in this year for sure!

If they sell out Boomtown Springs, which I believe they will, they will do it again next year, but leave a sour taste in the mouth of those who just wanted a normal ticket and bought it only out of desperation, rather than a desire to be a VIP. This can only cause long term damage to the reputation of the festival, even if it appears to demonstrate financial success in the short term.

VIP upgrades is one thing, but I think forcing people to buy them as the only way into the festival is entirely a different thing all together. The remaining tickets should have been sold as GA, with upgrades being optional, not mandatory. I love the festival, but I don't think I can support this obvious money grab. What a shame.

it does smell a little like secondary ticket sites that offer the same ticket for triple the price. This would all depend on what you get extra for the money. This is still yet to be seen. is it worth double the money?

I myself have gone with the camp skylark bell tent . (I am getting old, a quite place to put my head is worth it )

I'm against this kind of thing in principle BUT...

I was talking to someone recently about commercial flights. Most of the economy tickets actually lose the company money, and the First/Business class sales pay for a significant amount of the economy overheads. I'm hoping that the same applies to these tickets. Extortionate prices to those who can (and will) pay but might benefit us plebs in the big fields too. It's not that I want these people to be ripped off but it's the only way I can rationalise it in my head. 

Also for clarity I have no issue for people paying for pre-erected tents/quiet zones or what have you, it's the promise of additional experience that is a fundamental part of the Boomtown USP that irks me.

2 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Also for clarity I have no issue for people paying for pre-erected tents/quiet zones or what have you, it's the promise of additional experience that is a fundamental part of the Boomtown USP that irks me.

This is exactly how I feel.  To me it seems wrong.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I agree with the wrong.

But cheer yourself up by remembering that the real party is always out-front and never in a 'special' area. :)

Thank you, I will.

I'm having a debate with myself about paying £40 for zooloos. I just want one shower to wash my hair. I don't want a ****ing station with glitter or hair straighteners. I want all toilets to be reasonable unless it's late at night/main stage etc.

It feels like the "citizens" are being separated into classes. I don't like that.

According to the website Lost Horizons was in Boomtique last year so £10 for a naked sauna and a hose pipe isn't an option either. 

I'm lucky to be going, I shouldn't moan, it does make me long for Glastonbury though :)

I guess there one benefit to having VIP places, in that they will contain those who believe themselves to be VIPs. I know that there's an element of irony to it, but I can get along just fine without meeting people who think like that.

Edited - by the element of irony I meant people 'segregating' themselves / others. I did not mean that I thought myself as a VIP. Don't worry, I know I'm scum, and I know my place!  lol

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick
A smoke made me realise a potential flaw in my initial post.

I could be tempted by Springs just as a way of getting tickets since the main sale is now sold out. Was tempted to pay for a pre-erected option or reserved camping as would be travelling by coach / train. Does seem a lot of money though, anyone know when resales will be?

Been a bit slow to get on-board with this one as it's a long trek down from Yorkshire, for a festival I don't know so much about. But could do with another something to fill the gap left by Glastonbury and it does look pretty awesome. Already got Bluedot and Arcadia London booked.

Edited by I am Jon

So, we've had all the announcements etc.

I was wondering if...

1. Boomtown have much of a record for 'secret' or unannounced perfomances?

2. Not that the line-up is anything other than staggering in size and diversity, but 'is that it?' - i.e. now the districts are all announced, is that pretty much a done deal.

This apropos of nothing other than idle daydreaming about how excited I am to be going to my first Boomtown!

Ben

1. not really.

2. yeah. 

In both cases there's the possibility of something new because with that many acts some are very likely to drop out, but other than that there's unlikely to be anything more.

Don't you have enough already? :P

Honestly Ben, there's not a chance of you getting bored. Instead your head will be exploding from the possibilities. :P

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

So, we've had all the announcements etc.

I was wondering if...

1. Boomtown have much of a record for 'secret' or unannounced perfomances?

2. Not that the line-up is anything other than staggering in size and diversity, but 'is that it?' - i.e. now the districts are all announced, is that pretty much a done deal.

This apropos of nothing other than idle daydreaming about how excited I am to be going to my first Boomtown!

Ben

There’ll be no more music acts announced but they will start putting out videos etc relating to the storyline soon enough. It keeps my excitement levels up seeing the story take shape. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

1. not really.

2. yeah. 

In both cases there's the possibility of something new because with that many acts some are very likely to drop out, but other than that there's unlikely to be anything more.

Don't you have enough already? :P

Honestly Ben, there's not a chance of you getting bored. Instead your head will be exploding from the possibilities. :P

I bloody implied that it was not in anyway me suggesting there wasn't enough already, you bugger!

As I've said to lots of people, I'm incredibly excited that because BT is not typical for 'my music', for pretty much the first time ever in my festival career I will not need/be able to plan my time with the military precision that has always been my model! 

That's right, I'll actually be able to wander 'round and see what I come across...like a normal person!

Ben
x

Edit - and that's 5000 posts for me :D

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1