Boomtown 2018

eFestivals

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it used to sell out every year. Then there was a conflict of ideas between the two owners, about its direction and size. 'Get bigger' won the day, and it continued to sell out for a while.

Then one of the owners sold up and left - and he was a stronger part of what drove it than anyone realised i think.

It struggled for a year or two under that changed ownership, and then was sold to Festival Republic. It ran under their ownership for a few years without it turning around, and Kanye was the last year. It would be unfair to blame Kanye for its death, but i think its fair to say that Kanye wasn't a big ticket shifter for a rural camping festival.

Interesting info, cheers.

bqck in those days , I used to think 140 was bloody expensive for a festival ticket 

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

For Glastonbury people trust the organisers to have a shit hot line-up.
For Boomtown people trust the organisers to put on a shit hot event.

Not quite the same things and I'm more impressed with Boomtown's achievement, because they've managed it in a much more competitive time.

Well put. Totally agree. After years of attending festivals based on line-up alone, it's been refreshing for me to find a festival I love regardless of who they book. 

15 hours ago, man next door said:

Sorry for the pedantry, but 2010 (my first year) was 3000. 

Good to know, thanks. Tough to find a lot of info about the first 2 years since it was so small. Anecdotally there are a lot of people I know who went that claimed that 2010 was many magnitudes bigger than 2009. Boomtown once claimed on an old version of their website that 2010 was 8000, but that number may have just been the capacity rather than attendance since it didn't sell out.

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Given that what they're doing is pretty much just an expansion of what Glastonbury was already doing in the SE corner, I don't think they can be credited with too much uniqueness.

Not unique no. But maybe the largest scale and best implementation. Anyone could do what Boomtown are doing, they just might struggle to do it quite as well.

On 01/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, Tommy101 said:

Did you get a ticket sorted Ben? 

I did, Thomas, yes!

And contrary to my initial reticence, I had already bought my separate coach ticket, as I didn’t want to be at the mercy of allocated departure times. So I’m all set, will arrive well before gates on Thursday and offski at 7am on the Monday after a night partying in the campsites. I am super excited. Everything I have read and seen about BT seems to resonate with my annual pilgrimage to scratch the immersive, hedonistic itch! And despite, like others have said, it not necessarily being my ‘chosen’ typical festival profile musically, i will look forward to drinking the whole concept in during the days, and seeking out every little bit of techno at night!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sku said:

Not unique no. But maybe the largest scale and best implementation. Anyone could do what Boomtown are doing, they just might struggle to do it quite as well.

depends what you call 'well'.

I'm sure most people could organise a piss-up in a brewery better. Organising festival chaos takes a special skill. :P

25 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

@eFestivals When does the first announcement typically drop, Neil?

Ben

Last year just The Specials were announced in late December, with the first week of weekly line-up announcements on 8th Feb, tho with the release of a promo film the week before that. The year before had the first announcement in the first week of Feb.

So basically, first week of Feb by the look of things.

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Last year just The Specials were announced in late December, with the first week of weekly line-up announcements on 8th Feb, tho with the release of a promo film the week before that. The year before had the first announcement in the first week of Feb.

So basically, first week of Feb by the look of things.

Smashing - thanks, Boss

Ben

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I bloody love Bernard, Gnomy.

I have not one clue as to the reference, but any reminder of this British acting legend is fine by me.

So, reckon you could cope with Boomtown then, old chum...? B)

Ben
x

No special reference, I was just having a twinge as no-one will be asking me when lineups come out this year.

Anyhoo, I reckon I'd LOVE Boomtown, the ska alone would keep me happy, the set up looks amazing though I'd probably need help getting up that hill.

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

No special reference, I was just having a twinge as no-one will be asking me when lineups come out this year.

Anyhoo, I reckon I'd LOVE Boomtown, the ska alone would keep me happy, the set up looks amazing though I'd probably need help getting up that hill.

The Hill is NOT that bad Gnomi. Better now they have made a winding path that comes down through the woods rather than those wooden uneven steps. I prefer to tackle the hippy highway going up. It’s in 2 bits really and only the top bit is steep. Anyway once you are rum/beer/gin fuelled it’s a piece o’piss.

we were lucky getting tier 1s again this year. So that’s 3 weekends in a row sorted for 2018....bring on the madness :D

I've gone and bought tickets to this too. If I don't get there, and the tickets, themselves, get wasted, then I am not going to be a happy bunny. I hope to see you all there. For some reason, which eludes me right now, this (see below) came to my mind. Not sure why. And realize now, that I never again will know;

http://blogs.bl.uk/european/2017/09/bertillons-and-others-some-language-textbooks-of-the-past.html

16 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Even when the year is fallow, we all hail the Thingy®, Gnomy...xx

Ben

8 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

The Hill is NOT that bad Gnomi. Better now they have made a winding path that comes down through the woods rather than those wooden uneven steps. I prefer to tackle the hippy highway going up. It’s in 2 bits really and only the top bit is steep. Anyway once you are rum/beer/gin fuelled it’s a piece o’piss.

we were lucky getting tier 1s again this year. So that’s 3 weekends in a row sorted for 2018....bring on the madness :D

Loving the new avatar, dbdb!

Ben

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've gone and bought tickets to this too. If I don't get there, and the tickets, themselves, get wasted, then I am not going to be a happy bunny. I hope to see you all there. For some reason, which eludes me right now, this (see below) came to my mind. Not sure why. And realize now, that I never again will know;

http://blogs.bl.uk/european/2017/09/bertillons-and-others-some-language-textbooks-of-the-past.html

That's terrific news, Yog.

Maybe we'll get you back to the eFests-fold-in-a field at last...

And thank you for the beautifully Yogesque linky!

:)

Ben

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

That's terrific news, Yog.

Maybe we'll get you back to the eFests-fold-in-a field at last...

And thank you for the beautifully Yogesque linky!

:)

Ben

Cheers Ben. I'd love to get back in to the efests fold in a field. 

I have still to break the news to her indoors about the festival. Yesterday and today have been a little too dis-jointed in terms of my memory, and our being in the same room together for any length of time. However, we are having a mostly telly and music night tonight, so feel that my run up to disclosure is imminent. 

9 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

I brought a ticket to this as well. No idea what to expect other than a few vids on youtube and people hyping it up to me.

Haven't been this excited about trying a festival since I first got tickets to Glastonbury 2008

It's glorious madness. If that sounds like your cup of tea then you're in for a treat. 

Morning guys and girls, I haven't really been on since Glastonbury...thought it was about time to talk about festivals again!

Have just secured tickets, primarily due to no Glastonbury next year. Know very little about Boomtown, other than people rate it highly.

I love folk music, so hoping some of that...with some comedy and theatre chucked in. Looking forward to it.

As I am currently going solo, do any of you have a efests meet up at Boomtown? Be nice to meet some of you.

Edited by joeltg

8 hours ago, joeltg said:

As I am currently going solo, do any of you have a efests meet up at Boomtown? Be nice to meet some of you.

Yes, we normally meet at the Bad Apple bar around 1900 on the Thursday. We firm up the details nearer the time, although it is probably the usual: Beer / cider, wander, music, drunk, repeat,

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Yes, we normally meet at the Bad Apple bar around 1900 on the Thursday. We firm up the details nearer the time, although it is probably the usual: Beer / cider, wander, music, drunk, repeat,

I hope I will have made it in with plenty of time so I can join in this year!