All Points East Festival 2018

finn_with_1_n

10 minutes ago, evannn said:

Doesn’t rule them out of a “standalone” gig, even if they’re a “festival” exclusive somewhere else like latitude. 

My theory is that after Gorillaz round off their O2 dates, they'll then announce this, just like QOTSA did. Gives APE a couple weeks off as well to build anticipation.

9 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Very strong lineup -- can they keep it up annually?

I think I read somewhere that they've got a 5-year contract so it seems as though that is the case!

EDIT: Hang on, just misread your post - I sure hope so; it better not be a blip because it's Glasto's year off

Edited by finn_with_1_n
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Ace. Will be getting down to Viccy park again, then. 

Very strong lineup -- can they keep it up annually? Think I remember someone predicting Massive Attack for the last day and it seemed to fit pretty well...

They do seem to have thrown a lot into the first year but maybe in subsequent years it will just be the three day festival and they won't need six days' worth of quality?

9 minutes ago, WFD said:

They do seem to have thrown a lot into the first year but maybe in subsequent years it will just be the three day festival and they won't need six days' worth of quality?

This is also a good point. Although if they have a five year contract one assumes it's for the same length of time each year.

The way they've done it gives them flexibility to have the festival + X amount of gigs which is proably quite good from their point of view. 

I'm not convinced we'll actually get six this year- the fact we got all five headliners straight away (from the leak) suggests to me the other hasn't been booked/was still being booked. So anything could've happened. 

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

The way they've done it gives them flexibility to have the festival + X amount of gigs which is proably quite good from their point of view. 

I'm not convinced we'll actually get six this year- the fact we got all five headliners straight away (from the leak) suggests to me the other hasn't been booked/was still being booked. So anything could've happened. 

That’s why I don’t reckon it’ll be Gorillaz - they’d have been already in the bag and on the list with the already announced.

Could end up being Jack White, given that Primavera said they were hoping to book him but needed to band together with other festivals to offer a package of shows to him.

Edited by dentalplan

10 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Ah, that's interesting, good to know. They can react to the market - great deal for them really.

11 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

True, and given how close this year's headliners are in genres/demographic then something has to give if they are expecting to fill up to 30 headline slots over five years - either the quality dips a bit, they rely on repeats, they widen their scope a bit or they assume less competition from Latitude/Bestival etc for 'alternative' headliners.  Not knocking them, but it's ambitious.

2 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

I think I read somewhere that they've got a 5-year contract so it seems as though that is the case!

AEG/Goldenvoice were awarded a four-year contract for Victoria Park with Tower Hamlets Council it doesn't necessarily have to be APE events  

Edited by craigb

1 minute ago, RaphPH said:

Makes no sense to be Gorillaz...surely would have been announced already...

I'd have thought that they'd save the best till last ?? I wanna say Radiohead but my heart says it won't

Gorillaz still have tickets to sell for their arena shows; makes perfect sense for them not to have been announced yet.

Dunno why they'd save the best til last. They want to sell tickets and getting the announcements out when they can is in their best interests.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Gorillaz still have tickets to sell for their arena shows; makes perfect sense for them not to have been announced yet.

Dunno why they'd save the best til last. They want to sell tickets and getting the announcements out when they can is in their best interests.

Probably would've been on the leak if they were playing though. Would've been booked a while ago 

I’m still of the thought that it is someone who hadn’t yet been signed up when all the headliners leaked six weeks ago. So someone who takes some convincing to come over (Jack White? Neil Young? The Strokes?) or a backup if those can’t be convinced (Massive Attack). 

It looks likely that Arcade Fire will be doing US fests early June and it would make sense for Radiohead to do the same. I’m guessing Nine Inch Nails aren’t available that early on June either or else they’d be an easy signing.

Edited by dentalplan

There’s a comp on DICE to win VIP tix to all the music events over the two weekends. You gotta buy a ticket to a Goldenvoice event to enter (includes like Young Fathers, PSB, Bonobo... there’s a list on the app) but it’s open until end of Jan so more qualifying gigs might pop up before then. Another good reason to get on DICE anyway.