Field Day 2018

Guy Incognito

Nothing for me unfortunately. Even with APE I don't think I'm going to spend 67 quids on the Saturday lineup, so I don't think it's much better (and Broken Social Scene just announced UK club shows). I don't mind, there quite a few good club shows in May and June + Nick Cave/Patti Smith. Field Day was sucessfull in the last two years so I doubt they will have much problem to fill each day, unlike some other non-London based festivals which struggle even with good indie lineups.

Edited by emmanuel

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Not immediately obvious, I haven’t read any of the press releases but on first glance I would think Fever Ray is probably the most likely to headline the Saturday of those names announced. 

I'd say Loyle Carner shifts the most numbers out of the live acts. However, anybody who would would legitimately rather Loyle Carner headlined over Karin should have their ticket voided.

2 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

£70 to see Erykah Badu, Cornelius, Madlib, Earl Sweatshirt, Fever Ray, Floating Points, Four Tet, Mount Kimbie, Thundercat, Panda Bear, Nao, James Holden and Charlotte Gainsburg seems pretty decent value to me. If I lived closer to it I would definitely consider it.  

Technically speaking given several stages and clashes, you won't be able to see all those, plus it's closer to £80 for that ticket.

They had me at Erykah Badu. She's an impressive booking for them, especially when you consider she doesn't seem to be playing Primavera or anywhere else you would expect her to play if she's in Europe.

I agree that the line up is a lot weaker overall than previous years though. APE have obviously had an effect. 

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

They had me at Erykah Badu. She's an impressive booking for them, especially when you consider she doesn't seem to be playing Primavera or anywhere else you would expect her to play if she's in Europe.

I agree that the line up is a lot weaker overall than previous years though. APE have obviously had an effect. 

She might be playing Primavera as an 'unexpected' last minute add (see Mogwai, Haim last year).

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I'd say Loyle Carner shifts the most numbers out of the live acts. However, anybody who would would legitimately rather Loyle Carner headlined over Karin should have their ticket voided.

I'm a silly arse. Only just realised he's on Friday!

Admit I thought at first the lineup was a bit of a downgrade but then it clicked that they're no longer going for the box-ticking exercise mishmash of critically acclaimed artists and there's actually a sort of feel to the lineup for once. I think the most crucial thing is transferring that feel to the festival itself and make it something worth the price and worth coming back for, but hopefully they can nail it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Despite the friends of Brockwell Park managing to get Citadel and Lovebox festivals moved to west London, they're still campaigning against Field Day being held there.

They've started crowd-sourcing money for a legal opposition here: https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/brockwelltranquillity/

This is the biggest pledge I've seen there:

"Someone pledged £200 - My dog NEEDS that park. Take the festivals elsewhere - into the countryside!"

No, your dog doesn't NEED that park and honestly, they have half of the rest of the park anyway. That is the peak of NIMBY.

I don't really get what's going on with this festival...I am happy enough with who has been announced so far (I'm going to the Saturday), but 30 acts doesn't really seem like a lot at all.

I was expecting today's announcement to be a big one, but they've announced what...four or five artists?

Aren't they hoping to get 40,000 people to this thing, or is that number across both days?

I'm not expecting them to announce any massive stars, it's obvious that isn't what they're going for this time round...it just seems to be moving along very slowly (maybe I'm just ignorant).

16 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

I don't really get what's going on with this festival...I am happy enough with who has been announced so far (I'm going to the Saturday), but 30 acts doesn't really seem like a lot at all.

I was expecting today's announcement to be a big one, but they've announced what...four or five artists?

I'm wondering if they're holding off a little just because they don't have a licence yet and they're getting some opposition to them using Brockwell Park.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, stocky3000 said:

Are we still a due a headliner for Saturday? If So, who do we think it could be ? Thought Thom Yorke could be in with a shout but maybe not now. Bonobo?

I tweeted them but didn't get a response. I hope not but suspect we might be done, with a slightly disappointing line-up :/