Field Day 2018

Guy Incognito

3 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Was thinking the same, although it may be because the local council have agreed to restrict the number of event days at Brockwell park to avoid any extra aggro from the locals, in which case they could just have gone with the more financially rewarding bid. 

I'm thinking the same - perhaps to allow 1 festival in Brockwell, although isn't Citadel and Field Day the same setup?

Either way, being a south London resident and having looked forward to a decent local festival for once, I'm pretty angry with the NIMBYs for stopping Lovebox & Citadel.

Edited by wonker

4 minutes ago, wonker said:

I'm thinking the same - perhaps to allow 1 festival in Brockwell, although isn't Citadel and Field Day the same setup?

Either way, being a south London resident and having looked forward to a decent local festival for once, I'm pretty angry with the NIMBYs for stopping Lovebox & Citadel.

Citadel is the Lovebox one, so it is usually on the Sunday after the 2 days of Lovebox. I think Brockwell Park already has some events doesn't it? Some of the smaller dance festivals usually take place there anyway. I would hazard that the issues with Sunfall last year have somewhat hardened the stance of the locals a touch. It is a shame though because Brockwell Park is dead easy for me to get to now I'm in South London. 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

No announcement - we're into February tomorrow - and much more intense competition in the form of APE (and Primavera as always)..

The only hope was them to announce some names early - they've blown it IMO and sadly I can see this being the beginning of the end for Field Day.

It still has an audience,  I know a load of my mates who are tempted by APE are waiting to see what Field Day do, I don't think they will have any problems at all tbh. 

36 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Citadel is the Lovebox one, so it is usually on the Sunday after the 2 days of Lovebox. I think Brockwell Park already has some events doesn't it? Some of the smaller dance festivals usually take place there anyway. I would hazard that the issues with Sunfall last year have somewhat hardened the stance of the locals a touch. It is a shame though because Brockwell Park is dead easy for me to get to now I'm in South London. 

Ahh right, got you on the Citadel/Lovebox thing. Brockwell Park has the Lambeth Country Fair but as you said, given last year's reception of Sunfall, I doubt that it will be held there.

I do honestly have some sympathy for the locals directly around the park, I just find it irritating that it was discussed and seemed like a done deal and then had it swept away.

16 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

It still has an audience,  I know a load of my mates who are tempted by APE are waiting to see what Field Day do, I don't think they will have any problems at all tbh. 

Instinctively it feels like they'll lose half their audience which would be terminal but I might be wrong based on your comments (and I hope I am)

2 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Due to the Catfish day at APE "clashing" with Field Day, there is at least one day where Field Day can get a very good draw from those who would go to Field Day but are being swayed by APE

Ah that's a good point. I still think it's a stretch to think people who want to go to a festival that weekend will fork out for APE on the Friday/Sunday PLUS Field Day on the Saturday.

And a lot of them will have made the financial commitment already to APE, even more when they announce a strong undercard in the next day or two.

I'm going to LCD and Nick Cave APE events, but I was very interested to see what Field Day has on offer - I'm not doing any other festivals this year, so the strong London showing has worked out well for me and I've been able to consider more than I usually would in a Glastonbury year.

The prospect of it being in Gunnersbury is more off-putting than anything else tbh - which sounds ridiculous I know, but having schlepped from SE London to Kew and Richmond on various occasions, it's not something I'd fancy doing at the end of a long, booze-filled day. If it does go west, then it's going to have to be a very strong bill to tempt me now.

Field Day is Saturday/Sunday. It’s never been held on the Friday AFAIK, so won’t clash with Catfish. The main day, Saturday, is up against The National. If they keep it youthful and on the electronic side it shouldn’t have too much of a problem competing with the fairly Dad-rock National lineup. Their traditionally indie Sunday might have a problem up against the Nick Cave APE though.

Edit: On checking the website it appears that this year they actually are doing it Friday/Saturday. Good move by them I’d say.

Edited by Bradders

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

No announcement - we're into February tomorrow - and much more intense competition in the form of APE (and Primavera as always)..

The only hope was them to announce some names early - they've blown it IMO and sadly I can see this being the beginning of the end for Field Day.

They've been holding off on the council agreeing for them to actually hold the event at Brockwell - there was supposed to be a decision on Monday by the council but think it's been delayed again

1 minute ago, jr1312 said:

They've been holding off on the council agreeing for them to actually hold the event at Brockwell - there was supposed to be a decision on Monday by the council but think it's been delayed again

7 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yup, 1-2 June 

You're right, I'm wrong!

This is purely speculation on my part but a thought I had today for a headliner is The 1975.

I know that they're not a typical Field Day act but they have a long history with Brixton and June 1. They've kicked off every album campaign with a residency at Brixton Academy so Brockwell Park which is on the outskirts of Brixton - a seven-minute drive - isn't impossible. Then the 1st June is a day that is linked with the band. 01/06/15- they started the album campaign for their second album; 01/06/16 - they announced they were doing their biggest UK show (O2 arena). 01/06/17 - they played MSG. 01/06/18 - their album is rumoured to come out. Maybe they would play Field Day on the same day. It would definitely guarantee sales. And their new album is "mature" - all things considered.

Then again, it is The 1975.

1 hour ago, finn_with_1_n said:

This is purely speculation on my part but a thought I had today for a headliner is The 1975.

I know that they're not a typical Field Day act but they have a long history with Brixton and June 1. They've kicked off every album campaign with a residency at Brixton Academy so Brockwell Park which is on the outskirts of Brixton - a seven-minute drive - isn't impossible. Then the 1st June is a day that is linked with the band. 01/06/15- they started the album campaign for their second album; 01/06/16 - they announced they were doing their biggest UK show (O2 arena). 01/06/17 - they played MSG. 01/06/18 - their album is rumoured to come out. Maybe they would play Field Day on the same day. It would definitely guarantee sales. And their new album is "mature" - all things considered.

Then again, it is The 1975.

Jesus, tenuous...

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Jesus, tenuous...

Thinking about it, it is incredibly unlikely to be them this year (almost impossible as they haven't announced anything about the album) but I don't think it is tenuous at all. For a fan of The 1975 to see them in Brixton on June 1st would be something of a perfect whole-circle moment for them, given that the "1st June" motif has been with them dating back to 2013 - it is in their name, 1st June The 1975. It would sell-out in a day easily. I'd say they're 100% not going to play this year but in a couple years time, it could be a possibility.

11 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Mogwai have no UK shows after this weekend, so I think them 

I hope so. They'd probably sub the main stage if they are doing the Main Stage/The Barn deal again