Field Day 2018

Guy Incognito

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

there's rumours kicking around that Field Day and Lovebox are going to Brockwell Park and not Finsbury.

That would be good. I'd heard Lovebox was possibly going to Brockwell from a friend who lives in Brixton, but he hadn't heard about Field Day. Perhaps Field Day tried for Finsbury first but hit too much opposition from the residents. It looks like there was an application anyway. Ah well, either way I'm sure all will be revealed soon - I must admit I'm a bit more interested in the new thing at Vicky Park right now, so they need to get shifting!

1 minute ago, SophieBee said:

Perhaps Field Day tried for Finsbury first but hit too much opposition from the residents. It looks like there was an application anyway.

Much like AEG now have the contract for vicky park, Live Nation are much in the same position for finsbury. It might not be contracted in the same way (I'm not sure), but it's definitely the case that there's some very long-running cosiness.

So, given that LN will have first shout on Finsbury and there's already a lot of local hostility to the events already held there, I'd say it's unlikely Field Day would ever really be in with a shout at getting sited there (tho they might have tried all the same).

2 minutes ago, retromoz said:

It says they've had an application, but also points out that doing all those events will breech the Council's agreed events limits.

A music biz tip sheet I get was today suggesting Brockwell Park (for Lovebox too) and not mentioning Finsbury, so if I had to plump for one over the other I'd go with that tip-sheet, just because it's probably hooked in to gossip (or better).

Clapham Common makes sense too given Winterville is part-run/owned by Field Day and that moved from Victoria Park to Clapham Common. Also, the council has authorised significantly more event days at Clapham Common.

Shame it's moving from East London, given I wager a huge chunk of the festival goers live there.

Edited by pedrogooch

I'm probably reading too much into it but Field Day's latest tweet could potentially be a reference to LCD Soundsystem. The answer to the question they are asking would be "I was there", as in Losing My Edge. Nothing else on the poster particularly hints at LCD but it is an interesting way of putting the question

26 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Why would they apply for a licence to do the event at Finsbury, even though they are '100% certain' they wont be there next year? What a waste of time.....

I don't think it was a licence they applied for, instead (I think) it was an application for use of the park. They'd need to know that the park was available to them before moving on to making a licence application.

And i'd guess they will have applied to use a number of different sites, on the basis that they won't have known which site would tell them 'yes'. If more than one site told them 'yes' then they'll have been able to pick the one that they felt suited the fest best.

10 minutes ago, retromoz said:

that sounds like a severe lack of forward planning.....

Mind you, it is only October.......

who knows when they started plans for a move? They might have made the applications for various sites a year ago for all we know, and then they're dependent on how quickly a council progresses things. Just we don't know where they're going doesn't mean they don't know, or that they haven't known for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening to BBC London this morning and they had an interview with someone from Friends of Brockwell Park. I don't know how much they are going to fight it, but they definitely aren't happy, so it's not a done deal yet. Though their counterparts in Finsbury Park just had an appeal against commercial events refused, so I'm guessing that may set a precedent.

I have some sympathy - it must be difficult living next to a park when these events are on - the crowds, the noise and the mess. Plus huge sections of the park are closed off for weeks and there was an event in Brockwell this summer that caused a fair bit of damage I think, which will have put them off this sort of thing (although it sounds like it was because it was very badly organised and I'd hope for better from the Field Day folks). It would be nicer if the friends groups came at it from a more positive perspective though - more of a 'how can we make this work for everyone' rather than 'we don't want it here'. It's always better when people try to find solutions together rather than stick their heels in at opposing sides. 

3 minutes ago, SophieBee said:

Though their counterparts in Finsbury Park just had an appeal against commercial events refused, so I'm guessing that may set a precedent.

nah. The ruling about Finsbury (which applies to all public parks via the ruling) merely confirms the right of the council to rent out public parks for events.

All of the same licencing rules apply for individual events as they've done for the last decade - which pretty much ensures any event can go ahead providing it does all the necessaries towards that licence.

The only thing that might stop an event in a public park is if the council decides to not rent the park out (which they're perfectly entitled to do, without giving a reason) ... but with the finance squeeze on councils at the mo it's unlikely many will spurn tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of pounds for the rental.