Moving to London- Advice Needed!

Hutchmaster

Hi guys! Moving to London for the very first time in a couple of weeks from Belfast; beyond excited!

I was wondering if I could get some help in picking an area to live in for a house share. My office is based near Liverpool St Station and with a take home pay of just about £1400pm, I'm trying to get something that's around £700pm inc. travel on tube/bus. Is this a bit of an optimistic valuation or can it be done? Also any agencies/landlords I should avoid like the plague? The main thing I'm looking for in an area is somewhere safe and commutable, preferably Zone 2 but happy with Zone 3.

I'll be trying to get going to as many gigs as I can afford so an area near venues would be a big plus!  :D 

I'll also be moving over solo and have limited, distant friends already in London. What would be the best way to meet new people in the City; is there any particular events/nights people know of for people new to the City?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

2 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

Hi guys! Moving to London for the very first time in a couple of weeks from Belfast; beyond excited!

I was wondering if I could get some help in picking an area to live in for a house share. My office is based near Liverpool St Station and with a take home pay of just about £1400pm, I'm trying to get something that's around £700pm inc. travel on tube/bus. Is this a bit of an optimistic valuation or can it be done? Also any agencies/landlords I should avoid like the plague? The main thing I'm looking for in an area is somewhere safe and commutable, preferably Zone 2 but happy with Zone 3.

I'll be trying to get going to as many gigs as I can afford so an area near venues would be a big plus!  :D 

I'll also be moving over solo and have limited, distant friends already in London. What would be the best way to meet new people in the City; is there any particular events/nights people know of for people new to the City?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

I might not be the best person to answer this but I do know the area a fair bit. Sounds like your best bet would be to look east (or northeast) from Liverpool Street. Places like Mile End, Hackney, Bethnal Green (all in zone 2). They are all very close to Liverpool Street and would be a piece of cake to jump on a tube or bus in the mornings. I think 700 is quite realistic price wise - although prices may have changed so don't quote me on it. Take a look on www.spareroom.co.uk or similar flat sharing sites. The turnover of people in house shares in London means there are always places needing the odd housemate here and there, and it's a great way to have people you know. 

In terms of gigs, Hackney and shoreditch will have tons of stuff on every night of the week, but everywhere is easily commutable if something further afield takes your fancy. 

Also: if you play sports that's a great way to meet new people, there's always tons of friendly casual or competitive teams looking for players. I used to play football over Hackney marshes, teams always looking for players.

Edited by mjsell

Let me start off by saying that I know very very little about London, so cannot be specific on that front. However, on the social front it would seem to me that maybe looking at meetings of people who are in to similar hobbies as you may have would be a good start. 

If you don't have any hobbies, then there are other interests that people meet up about. I would recommend having a look at this site, to see if anything takes your fancy (see link below). If you have an interest and it's not already catered for, then that site lets you create a meet up group.

All the best for your time in London.

https://www.meetup.com/cities/gb/17/london/

Yep definitely look east. In addition to places already mentioned, have a look at places that are on the overland. London Fields, Dalston and Stoke Newington are good for the yoof and it's a piece of cake getting to liverpool street (maybe consider getting a bike to save £££). 

A bit further out but still close enough would be forest gate, leyton and leytonstone. It'll definitely be cheaper round there, but not so lively (and a bit more rough and ready).

I was living in a house share in Mile End a few years ago just by Victoria Park and it worked out at about £500-550 a month all in. Obviously prices will have risen a little since then but it's not a bad place to start looking. I agree with what the others have said though, start there then work your way eastwards until you find something that suits.

Thanks for all your help guys; definitely going to look towards the East! Can seem to get Mile End around £550pcm inc. bills so with a monthly tube card I'll still have a little bit to play with, although limiting myself to gigs is going to be a struggle :P  Now to just find bleeding landlords who don't mind doing a video viewing! 

Edited by Johnkhutch