Went for a wander round Worthy Farm

BlackHole2006

Nice pictures :D

I was going to start a thread asking some questions about visiting the farm but might as well do it here!

We're planning on going for a wander round the farm next weekend when in the area visiting friends. Having missed the 2016 and 2017 festivals we're keen to take the opportunity to walk upon the sacred ground once again!

Q1 - Where is best to park up and where do we turn off the road (coming to Pilton via Shepton Mallet)?

Q2 - Do we need to inform anyone we're going to be walking around?

Q3 - Is there a decent country pub nearby for a spot of lunch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by TheParkAfterDark

15 minutes ago, TheParkAfterDark said:

Nice pictures :D

I was going to start a thread asking some questions about visiting the farm but might as well do it here!

We're planning on going for a wander round the farm next weekend when in the area visiting friends. Having missed the 2016 and 2017 festivals we're keen to take the opportunity to walk upon the sacred ground once again!

Q1 - Where is best to park up and where do we turn off the road (coming to Pilton via Shepton Mallet)?

Q2 - Do we need to inform anyone we're going to be walking around?

Q3 - Is there a decent country pub nearby for a spot of lunch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Mary's Gate, you can park and then you walk out at the bottom of the Pyramid Field.

2. Definitely out of courtesy, email the festival office and ask; they've always said yes.

3. I like the George & Pilgrim in Glastonbury town itself a few miles away, very old school and wacky!

@TheParkAfterDark

@GlastoEls covered all my questions but if you're looking for a decent place to stay over night, couldn't recommend Ashcombe Farm Campsite enough. It's a stones throw away from the site and there's a country pub called The Apple Tree Inn which is literally just over the road. Decent food in there and quite cheap for drinks. 

The cows were in Stone Circle when we wondered up there so unfortunately couldn't get into that field. Will upload a few more pics tomorrow when I've fully recovered from this weekend. 

I am sure the contact form will reach the right place. I have visited several times as we are lucky to only live about an hour away and always think it is very generous to allow strangers to wander round the site. I have never met the cows tho!

So wishing it wasn't a fallow year next year.......xx

2 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

@TheParkAfterDark

@GlastoEls covered all my questions but if you're looking for a decent place to stay over night, couldn't recommend Ashcombe Farm Campsite enough. It's a stones throw away from the site and there's a country pub called The Apple Tree Inn which is literally just over the road. Decent food in there and quite cheap for drinks. 

The cows were in Stone Circle when we wondered up there so unfortunately couldn't get into that field. Will upload a few more pics tomorrow when I've fully recovered from this weekend. 

I don't really feel the need to pay homage to the site, but wouldn't mind going up the tor again (the first time is a long story which, briefly (and this is brief) involves a wedding, a white witch, a near drowning which would be able to vie for any slap stick comedy award, some sweets blessed by a Buddhist, a very long joint being lite from a man in his underpants in the owners kitchen of a B&B, and finally a report on the local radio news that sections of that specific area of Somerset now had checkpoints with soldiers manning them, because they were looking for IRA suspects in a specific colour, make and model of car. Well, I was driving exactly the same colour, make and model of the car, and it was registered in my dad's name - an Irishman with an Irish surname. I drove up to a check point (which was in my way) and thought 'fuck me. I've got a real hippy white witch in the back of the car, with enough drugs on them to warrant immediate arrest'. I really can't remember what conversation went on, but he let us go. 

Anyway, I really enjoyed my visit to the tor. It was almost spiritual, but I'm still unsure on that one. It was definitely meaningful. I'd like to go back again, camp at Ashcombe Farm (always wanted to camp there) and saunter in to The Apple Tree, possibly out of my mind on drugs. 

• 1 month later...

We visited the site on Friday afternoon. It was a glorious sunny day but the site itself was very wet and muddy (when is it not eh?)

As we exited the site through the farm and via St Mary's gate, we had a certain Mr Eavis pass us by in his red truck, giving friendly waves and hello's as he passed. Made my day!

We did try to contact the festival earlier in the week but only got a response today stating the following:

The public footpaths that pass through the north end of the site are open, so it is possible to walk on these paths, however as you will see from the map attached, the public footpaths (highlighted green) do not extend to the majority of the Festival site. For the avoidance of doubt, there is no public access to the Pyramid arena, Kidz Field or Green Fields.

If you do go for a walk on the public footpaths please ensure that you stick to the public paths (which do not include the stone tracks across the Festival site), close any gates you open behind you, keep dogs on leads, do not to disturb the animals and please do not enter the Farm Yard or the rest of the Festival site, which are private property. For your own safety, please do not climb on any structures.

Lastly, we ask that anyone using the public footpaths during the fallow year respect that the Farm and Festival site are private property, and therefore we request that if you do go for a walk on the public footpaths, you please refrain from sharing pictures of the Farm or Festival site on social media, as doing so may lead others to believe the site is open to the public, which it is not.

We did walk past a few people working on site who were friendly and welcoming, so maybe they're just trying to prevent too many people from visiting what is in reality a fulltime working farm.

glasto2.jpg

glosto1.jpg