BlackHole2006

Went for a wander round Worthy Farm

As the title suggests, this weekend I went to the Glastonbury site when it wasn't on with a group of people who I camp with. Here are some photos, see if you can guess which areas they are as I can't be bothered to caption then :D 

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

• Upvote 5

Nice pictures :D

I was going to start a thread asking some questions about visiting the farm but might as well do it here!

We're planning on going for a wander round the farm next weekend when in the area visiting friends. Having missed the 2016 and 2017 festivals we're keen to take the opportunity to walk upon the sacred ground once again!

Q1 - Where is best to park up and where do we turn off the road (coming to Pilton via Shepton Mallet)?

Q2 - Do we need to inform anyone we're going to be walking around?

Q3 - Is there a decent country pub nearby for a spot of lunch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by TheParkAfterDark

15 minutes ago, TheParkAfterDark said:

Nice pictures :D

I was going to start a thread asking some questions about visiting the farm but might as well do it here!

We're planning on going for a wander round the farm next weekend when in the area visiting friends. Having missed the 2016 and 2017 festivals we're keen to take the opportunity to walk upon the sacred ground once again!

Q1 - Where is best to park up and where do we turn off the road (coming to Pilton via Shepton Mallet)?

Q2 - Do we need to inform anyone we're going to be walking around?

Q3 - Is there a decent country pub nearby for a spot of lunch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Mary's Gate, you can park and then you walk out at the bottom of the Pyramid Field.

2. Definitely out of courtesy, email the festival office and ask; they've always said yes.

3. I like the George & Pilgrim in Glastonbury town itself a few miles away, very old school and wacky!

• Upvote 2

@TheParkAfterDark

@GlastoEls covered all my questions but if you're looking for a decent place to stay over night, couldn't recommend Ashcombe Farm Campsite enough. It's a stones throw away from the site and there's a country pub called The Apple Tree Inn which is literally just over the road. Decent food in there and quite cheap for drinks. 

The cows were in Stone Circle when we wondered up there so unfortunately couldn't get into that field. Will upload a few more pics tomorrow when I've fully recovered from this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

I am sure the contact form will reach the right place. I have visited several times as we are lucky to only live about an hour away and always think it is very generous to allow strangers to wander round the site. I have never met the cows tho!

So wishing it wasn't a fallow year next year.......xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

@TheParkAfterDark

@GlastoEls covered all my questions but if you're looking for a decent place to stay over night, couldn't recommend Ashcombe Farm Campsite enough. It's a stones throw away from the site and there's a country pub called The Apple Tree Inn which is literally just over the road. Decent food in there and quite cheap for drinks. 

The cows were in Stone Circle when we wondered up there so unfortunately couldn't get into that field. Will upload a few more pics tomorrow when I've fully recovered from this weekend. 

I don't really feel the need to pay homage to the site, but wouldn't mind going up the tor again (the first time is a long story which, briefly (and this is brief) involves a wedding, a white witch, a near drowning which would be able to vie for any slap stick comedy award, some sweets blessed by a Buddhist, a very long joint being lite from a man in his underpants in the owners kitchen of a B&B, and finally a report on the local radio news that sections of that specific area of Somerset now had checkpoints with soldiers manning them, because they were looking for IRA suspects in a specific colour, make and model of car. Well, I was driving exactly the same colour, make and model of the car, and it was registered in my dad's name - an Irishman with an Irish surname. I drove up to a check point (which was in my way) and thought 'fuck me. I've got a real hippy white witch in the back of the car, with enough drugs on them to warrant immediate arrest'. I really can't remember what conversation went on, but he let us go. 

Anyway, I really enjoyed my visit to the tor. It was almost spiritual, but I'm still unsure on that one. It was definitely meaningful. I'd like to go back again, camp at Ashcombe Farm (always wanted to camp there) and saunter in to The Apple Tree, possibly out of my mind on drugs. 

• Upvote 3