Zac Quinn

British Summer Time 2018

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I have worked at various events within Hyde Park 

{ 1 } the layout for one event may be completely different from the layout the very next day.

{ 2 } in general - ' you get what you pay for '

I have been inside before the gates open and as soon as the so called ' early entry
ticket holders ' rush in they do a mad scramble to get to the front only to discover they are blocked off.

as others have reported ' these special { expensive } areas tend not to fill up until later.

Now you may be willing to spend a extra £10 to be a few feet in front of people who did not buy early entry but if you think that will get you bang up close to the stage you will be disappointed.  

Wise advice. Or, to put it another way; don't bother with gigs in Hyde Park. Seriously. You'll be surrounded by c**ts. C**ts with lots of money. 

Edited by hoils
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hoils said:

Wise advice. Or, to put it another way; don't bother with gigs in Hyde Park. Seriously. You'll be surrounded by c**ts. C**ts with obscene amounts of money. 

This year so far only The Cure offer a chance to get to the front with a GA ticket - if you get there early enough and get a wristband from the stewards at the front section.

The other shows all have Golden or even Diamond sections which means your GA ticket will get you nowhere near the front with a huge swathe of nothing in front of you for most of the day. Absolute rip off.

When I went to Blur for £2.50 all those years ago (2?) the front pit was just the case of queuing for a wristband and going in, although that could easily have been because they hadn’t shifted many of the pricey tickets, and would have been dreadful if the band had come out to see a completely empty section of crowd. 

19 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

When I went to Blur for £2.50 all those years ago (2?) the front pit was just the case of queuing for a wristband and going in, although that could easily have been because they hadn’t shifted many of the pricey tickets, and would have been dreadful if the band had come out to see a completely empty section of crowd. 

Yep, I remember that. I didn't show until just before Metronomy, hung around the back for them and then ended up about two rows from the stage barrier on the left. You can just catch my ugly mug on the New World Towers documentary, I think. I'm wearing a terrible straw trilby.

I got my Cure ticket the other day, just in time as it now appears to have sold out again. Thats pretty quick going!

Still hanging on fire on The Cure, despite it now having "sold out". Fairly certain there'll be another late release for them.

Full credit to BST though - The Killers aside, I can't remember them having a sell-out this quick for a few years.

'Tis a stonking bill, to be fair.

On 12/31/2017 at 1:52 PM, glasto-worker said:

I have worked at various events within Hyde Park 

{ 1 } the layout for one event may be completely different from the layout the very next day.

{ 2 } in general - ' you get what you pay for '

I have been inside before the gates open and as soon as the so called ' early entry
ticket holders ' rush in they do a mad scramble to get to the front only to discover they are blocked off.

as others have reported ' these special { expensive } areas tend not to fill up until later.

Now you may be willing to spend a extra £10 to be a few feet in front of people who did not buy early entry but if you think that will get you bang up close to the stage you will be disappointed.  

According to the layout plan.

The Cure is the only gig that does not have Golden or Diamond Circle. So with early entry you can rush to the capacity controlled general admission area right in front of the stage.

Last year I bought an upgrade for premium view for the Killers to disappointingly find out it is only on the side of the stage. Anyhow, I finally found way to get to the capacity controlled area.

So this year I am going with the early entry!

4874CA9F-E1AA-42D4-B612-C16648D93B5A.jpeg

Impressive how solid their bills can be. That Cure bill is exceptional - and as such, it should probably come as no surprise it's sold out a shade under half-a-year away. Now that is some pulling power.

Never did get my ticket in the end, which is a shame... Will have to look into it closer to the time and cross fingers for a late release/press release of tix.

Definitely feeling arctic monkeys for this now . They're heavily rumoured to be doing TRNSMT, mad cool , primavera etc around early July- their mad cool/nos alive slot (both of whom have one headliner TBC) would be July 13th and it would make sense to finish the run of European festivals in bst Hyde park on 15th. Also they just announced their comeback today and the bst announcement will be next Monday or Tuesday so it's very likely I think now.

Impressive they've now got 2 nights sold out with Eric Clapton now sold out. Very annoyed that this new tiered ticketing is working.

My thoughts on headliner #6:

• Obviously Arctic Monkeys are a possibility (I'd assume) unless they're doing R+L and TRNSMT.
  • I wonder if they'll go for a female act as all 5 headliners so far are male. Maybe Beyonce - she's headlining Coachella so she is performing and hasn't done a UK festival in an age. Tickets would fly.
  • If not, maybe The 1975 as they'll have a new record out by then - probably see them doing this in 2019 though.
  • Oh shit, it is going to be Eminem, isn't it. He's headlining everything - all the US ones, Wireless, new V, BST, Latitude, EOTR, I've heard he's pitching up his own pyramid stage and doing his own Glasto.
Edited by finn_with_1_n

Doubt it would be Eminem. Hes rumoured for Sziget so would make more sense to do Zombie V at the end of the summer instead

7 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Doubt it would be Eminem. Hes rumoured for Sziget so would make more sense to do Zombie V at the end of the summer instead

Agreed - and not sure the locals would allow it either. Hearing the next announcement will be end of Jan

AM for this and TRNSMT. Skip R+L this time round in favour of hitting it up next year, following a winter arena tour in Nov/Dec. Glasto in 2020 for the 50th Anniversary. Possibly a stadium gig in London next summer too; have they ever headlined Wembley?

20 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

AM for this and TRNSMT. Skip R+L this time round in favour of hitting it up next year, following a winter arena tour in Nov/Dec. Glasto in 2020 for the 50th Anniversary. Possibly a stadium gig in London next summer too; have they ever headlined Wembley?

Don't really get why they'd do BST this year rather than just doing a stadium.

Reckon Glasto in 2019 and then R&L in 2020 on the tail end of their tour like Muse last year.

On 12/01/2018 at 12:48 AM, Mattymooz said:

Doubt it would be Eminem

Me too, I was just joking given how many festivals he seems to be doing in the US.

4 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Don't really get why they'd do BST this year rather than just doing a stadium.

I think the trend is that artists with influence (big enough to headline and/or have strong fanbases) do festivals first as 1) festivals pay to book acts and want ticket sales and might not get sold-out festivals when bands are two years into touring an album (therefore may pay more, the earlier in the album cycle), and 2) they know that fans generally want to see artists at their own headline shows.

So, let's say Arctic Monkeys did BST this year. Fans who go the festival will say: "oh it was great, but I might enjoy it even more if I went to one of their own shows". Then they announce the stadium tour for next year and then they'll get most of the festival-goers to go to their show again. Easy money, rather than stadium tour then BST the next year as then fans might think non-AM fans will go and ruin the experience. Also non-AM fans might be at a festival that they're playing at and see them and become a fan and then they'd buy tickets for their next tour etc. That is my theory anyway.

13 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Me too, I was just joking given how many festivals he seems to be doing in the US.

I think the trend is that artists with influence (big enough to headline and/or have strong fanbases) do festivals first as 1) festivals pay to book acts and want ticket sales and might not get sold-out festivals when bands are two years into touring an album (therefore may pay more, the earlier in the album cycle), and 2) they know that fans generally want to see artists at their own headline shows.

So, let's say Arctic Monkeys did BST this year. Fans who go the festival will say: "oh it was great, but I might enjoy it even more if I went to one of their own shows". Then they announce the stadium tour for next year and then they'll get most of the festival-goers to go to their show again. Easy money, rather than stadium tour then BST the next year as then fans might think non-AM fans will go and ruin the experience. Also non-AM fans might be at a festival that they're playing at and see them and become a fan and then they'd buy tickets for their next tour etc. That is my theory anyway.

But if Arctic Monkeys were going to do BST this year and then stadiums next year, they could just do a London stadium this year and more stadiums next year, therefore earning them more money.

I get your logic for festivals that aren't in London, but I think there's a reason why these huge acts such as Foos, Drake, Eminem have done their own shows rather than BST. You get the odd exception - for example The Stones - but in general I think BST headliners tend to be acts that couldn't sell out Wembley Stadium or whatever their own.

16 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Arctics to do 18, 19 and 20?, they love Glastonbury, Alex has talked very fondly about playing it, almost of not as much as Matt Bellamy has. They won't be doing a BST gig here in July, their own stadium tour next year and then Glasto 20, it'll be Glasto next year I think personally. Glastonbury always love to book them and bar the Muse booking after Download it's extremely rare that Glastonbury get 2nd year on a band with a new album....let alone 3rd. They are one of the band's I could see if it was the same year playing BST and Glasto though.

On 13/01/2018 at 11:02 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

in general I think BST headliners tend to be acts that couldn't sell out Wembley Stadium or whatever their own

Yeah I agree with you completely. I was mostly trying to suggest why bands do festivals in year one of album cycle then headline tours the following years. I don't think they'll headline BST this year just because why do this when they could do R+L which is both credible and fair and convenient to their fans.

Then again, who are the other options for headliner #6?

14 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Then again, who are the other options for headliner #6?

McCartney hasn't played UK in a few years

P!nk hasn't announced a UK tour yet

James Taylor / Eagles....

Fleetwood Mac

I think it’ll be a big mainstream pop act. Pink’s a good shout but she is touring Australia and New Zealand throughout (our) summer.

I think Britney Spears will either do this or Zombie V Fest. She’s headlining a Danish festival in August which is no doubt part of a bigger tour. It’s a week before V (if it’s the same weekend) but BST seems more her kind of thing.

Edited by dentalplan

What about Kylie Minogue? New album coming out in the spring and she is still big enough to give this a go. She may not be as relevant as P!nk but she is Kylie and a massive pop act.