British Summer Time 2018

Rose-Colored Boy

Hi folks... I have a couple of question about BST....  I am thinking about travelling from Ireland to see Roger Waters in July and am weighing up the obvious expense... 

I have not been to BST before... My question is will it not be very bright (practically daylight) for the stage show, being mid summer and a curfew of 22.30?  His show is 2.5 hours, so he'd be starting around 8pm.

Also, what is the sound quality like in Hyde Park in recent years? I have heard mixed reports, with problems due to noise restrictions. 

I want to bring my fiance, but I really want it to be a great show for her if I do.

Would really appreciate any honest advice,  many thanks. 

Edited by NotNowJohn

1 hour ago, NotNowJohn said:

Hi folks... I have a couple of question about BST....  I am thinking about travelling from Ireland to see Roger Waters in July and am weighing up the obvious expense... 

I have not been to BST before... My question is will it not be very bright (practically daylight) for the stage show, being mid summer and a curfew of 22.30?  His show is 2.5 hours, so he'd be starting around 8pm.

Also, what is the sound quality like in Hyde Park in recent years? I have heard mixed reports, with problems due to noise restrictions. 

I want to bring my fiance, but I really want it to be a great show for her if I do.

You'd be much better off going to one of his arena shows. It's pretty bright for most of it and while the sound isnt as bad as its made out to be its merely ok. 

• Like 2

RogerWatersAXS.jpg

That being the map for the Waters gig - I think, outside of those extortionately priced circles, the sound is gonna be pretty hideous. I know the prices aren't out of line with his tour but at least you're gonna hear it crisply even in the nosebleeds.

Agree with Mark that you should check out an arena gig where Roger's team is in charge of the sound. If you're willing to fly to the UK then maybe check the continent and make a trip out of it. In my opinion, BST really excels in its supporting line up which is why it gets a lot of favour on this here music board but if you want the full shebang from the headliner then you might be best heading elsewhere.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NotNowJohn said:

I was in the front section for The Killers this year as it wasn't more expensive for that one, you just had to get there early. It was fine near the front for The Killers but I was at the back of that section for the acts on before and it was fairly quiet even there, it would have been crap for the people who weren't in the front section (so most people). So yeah unless you want to spend a fortune for "golden circle" tickets or whatever then don't bother. Even then, I didn't like BST in general and won't be going back. 

Also for what it's worth, The Killers finished at 10:15 (as they were scheduled to do) so he might be on even earlier than 8.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NotNowJohn said:

I've been to a few events in Hyde Park over the years, and unfortunately the new pricing structure that BST has brought in has essentially ruined it for me.

Having said that, I attended Phil Collins this year on the 29th June (which also happened to be the day he announced his arena tour, the cheeky c... So be glad you have an actual choice here...)

I was in the cheap section, about half way back. Sound was fine, way better than my last attendance in 2014, and darkness fell quickly - what I remember most vividly was the lights during the later songs.

Personally I would agree with the others that you should always aim for an arena show since they are available (I'm going to Glasgow) but I wouldn't rule BST out if that's your preferred option. I'm considering going myself depending on who is playing the Saturday.

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy Joel was one of the headliners; given he has dates in Dublin and Manchester in June, he could sell an awful lot of tickets for a one-off London date, especially as he played Wembley Stadium last year. He's also definitely in that Phil Collins bracket and his date sold-out last year

24 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy Joel was one of the headliners; given he has dates in Dublin and Manchester in June, he could sell an awful lot of tickets for a one-off London date, especially as he played Wembley Stadium last year. He's also definitely in that Phil Collins bracket and his date sold-out last year

unlikely. The Manc date was announced as his only UK show.

23 hours ago, eFestivals said:

unlikely. The Manc date was announced as his only UK show.

I wasn't aware of that but I guess that rules him out. Also coming back to London to play to a similar crowd as Wembley's so soon may not be great for sales.

Although to stay on the Wembley tangent, Jeff Lynne's ELO anyone? I know they aren't touring at the moment, but they'd go down very well

I know nothing, but would Guns 'n' Roses be a possibility? Were they not rumoured last year? And they seem to be continuing this reunion tour...

For the "underwhelming" category - surely Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, Queen + Adam Lambert and Noel Gallagher would fall into that, and could announce after their own tours are underway?

Other thoughts - Pearl Jam (it's been a long time since they did anything in London) 

Eagles (surely they'll do anything for money in their current bastardised setup?) 

Fleetwood Mac (aren't they definitely touring?)

Rolling Stones (they're due to do something in the UK next year)

Neil Young & Promise of the Real

I can't see who they could have as an "exclusive" this year (similar to Carole King, Stevie Wonder, Tom Petty in previous years). I think Bob Seger and/or Dead & Company would be good scoops personally... 

On 18/10/2017 at 11:40 PM, NotNowJohn said:

I have worked at many events at Hyde park { all sorts of events going back many years } and I was able to wangle a day shift on 1st July 2006 when Roger Waters played

check out the set list - First Half: In The Flesh, Mother, Set The Controls For the Heart Of The Sun, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Have A Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Southampton Dock, The Fletcher Memorial Home, Perfect Sense parts 1 and 2, Leaving Beirut, Sheep. Second Half: Dark Side of the Moon. ENCORE: The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, Another Brick In The Wall (Pt 2), Vera, Bring the Boys back Home, Comfortably Numb.

sure the configuration of the arena has changed but I have been there in recent years and its still not bad .

now Hyde park is not my favourite venue but ' its not the worst '

sure it will start in daylight and it will not overrun but the screens are very good.

if you cant get to a indoor arena show then it may be the best option as I suspect he may not tour again.

now I have never been one to rush down to the barrier and certainly where we were standing the sound and visuals were fine .

I was in two minds to work it or not but I decided to treat myself by going as a normal Punter.

this is how it looked in 2006

lon0.thumb.jpg.6708c796099c121918ea1255ff144fa8.jpg