Sad times

watsonjm

2 hours ago, craigb said:

Quote from Festival Republic boss Melvin Benn: “It will very much continue to have a pop and dance focus,” 

Dance focus eh? It hasn't been that dancey in the past (other than acts that basically make pop music like Rudimental, Sigma, Gorgon City etc. I guess they had stuff like Pete Tong/Faithless etc. too but maybe they're gonna move more towards a poppier version of Creamfields?

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Dance focus eh? It hasn't been that dancey in the past (other than acts that basically make pop music like Rudimental, Sigma, Gorgon City etc. I guess they had stuff like Pete Tong/Faithless etc. too but maybe they're gonna move more towards a poppier version of Creamfields?

I doubt it. Live Nation own Creamfields too. 

I took it as Melvin meaning it woulds stay much as it is - where "pop and dance" isn't a bad easy summary of what it's been doing.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I doubt it. Live Nation own Creamfields too. 

I took it as Melvin meaning it woulds stay much as it is - where "pop and dance" isn't a bad easy summary of what it's been doing.

Is there anything they don't own lol. My bad then, excited to see what it turns out to be (not sure about sticking with the 2 weekends though if they are staying the same kinda genres)

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Is there anything they don't own lol. My bad then, excited to see what it turns out to be (not sure about sticking with the 2 weekends though if they are staying the same kinda genres)

I think they're going to have broaden what they book, a little bit at least - particularly if they're going to do three days. Otherwise they'll struggle to find different acts year on year I'd say.

And if they go to three days, i'm not sure there's much scope to increase the prices for that extra day, as the 2 days at V was almost the same as 3 days at Reading/Leeds.

But anyway, when they're changing the name it's the natural time to give it a revamp, so it's going to be interesting to see what they come up with.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, luckysalt said:

The simple fact is V didn't know who it was targeting. 

When it started it was a Indie festival with under belly of dance, but that was because Indie was so popular in the charts.

Then they added a smattering of pop and rock/alternative, moreso the latter.

As the years went on, the indie scene in the UK died, and the majority of the charts became pop music, V tried to continue as the Chart Music festival, the problem is though, the charts is full of one album wonders even one song wonders and flash in the pans. They don't work and they don't draw the same kind of punters to festivals. Once they started going down the pop route, it went more and more down it and they alienated the original audience and struggled to pull in new customers. 

Im pretty sure returning sales the following year is something less than 20% anyway. 

Absolutely agree with this.

V never seemed too sure who their market was, and ended up going from an Indie festival to a pure pop festival in my opinion. That results in a lot lower retention of punters than other festivals, especially as V seemed to be totally about the music offering. Punters who like the latest pop acts grow out of them pretty quickly so are unlikely  to come back

Also the festival didn't seem to develop, it is all about the music. Other festivals have been created, and existing festivals have developed their offering, whether that be with comedy and literature (e.g. Latitude), different themes (e.g. science at Bluedot), the numerous retro festivals which have sprung up in he past few years, or other experiences beyond music (e.g. Arcadia)

V would always get the popsters of the day or the lads out on a bender, but offered little else and that's why I think it needed a massive revamp. There became an increasing paradox in their targeting. On one hand getting the latest pop band in, fighting against the punter looking to get hammered with their mates. There didn't seem a lot else to their offering

Hopefully it will work, there's still a market there, but they do need to think about the USP to get the punters back in year after year. its not about selling to a new customer, its about selling to the same customer next year, and the year after. That's the key. I personally think targeting families is the future, kids generally love camping. music and festivals, and any festival which targets them specifically is likely to do well as long as they don't forget that audience, they all need to develop year on year, and provide other entertainment other than music

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Wonder what Live Nation putting Liam Gallagher’s show on The Festival Formally Known as V weekend means for the future/direction of TFFKAV.

Yeah interesting. I'd love it if TFFKAV was totally free of moron-rock but it seems doubtful they could extend it to three days without booking any. Unless they cut it down to just two music stages and one comedy tent or something.

I mean, she'll be on her 4th album by then I think she could easily pull it off (especially given her popularity on twitter, insta etc. and how many hits she has imo). Obviously she isn't the only choice, but I expect it will be one of the big pop girls Like Ariana, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga etc. (obvs not T Swift anymore and I don't think Rihanna will have an album out in time)

On 29/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, watsonjm said:

not a thing.  I'm surprised they haven't got something out with xmas shopping time well under way

I think they're gonna have to wait till the new year at this point. Considering the R+L announcement is gonna be late and I doubt FR would wanna announce both so close to each other...

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Ooooh @eFestivals as this has been moved does this mean we can expect an announcement of whats coming soon? Or are you just doing some housekeeping? :P

just housekeeping.

Boomtown asked me if i'd create a forum for them, which had someone remind me this one was still on the main part.

BTW, I've no plans to create a new one for the V replacement at the mo - but that might change when we know about it. It'll depend on whether I think there's the need of one.