Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

34 minutes ago, Semprini said:

The RTJ example you mentioned was bizarre and down to the organsiation but I can't see how anyone can blame PKP for this? That sample poster would have been sent out with specific and very clear instructions for it not to be shared (bands are well aware of how this works anyway) so the agent or whoever it was that posted it is completely at fault here. I thought PKP's initial response was quite funny but that NERD instagram picture is a bit petulant really.

I agree and also said it's NERD's fault in my post. But on the other hand, we never know the exact modalities of the exchange between them and NERD. The 'sample' in the background should be enough for their manager to know not to post it yes. But things like the RTJ situation and this childish instagram story reaction just make me a bit suspicious. I admit that I overreacted though, just purely based on my own speculation. Great insight btw about the role of poster placement during negotiations. I had no idea it went that far.

About the line-up: if anything, the negative reactions (in my opinion, too negative) prove that many people absolutely adore Pukkelpop and want them to succeed. For me, the foundation is there, and some tweaks can vastly improve the poster. I've been going for a lot of years now, and it was always a highlight of my summer.

One of the smaller names I'm really happy with is Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. Since I stumbled on their EP a couple of months ago, I knew PKP would get them. Great band, and seem equally great live.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

I agree and also said it's NERD's fault in my post. But on the other hand, we never know the exact modalities of the exchange between them and NERD. The 'sample' in the background should be enough for their manager to know not to post it yes. But things like the RTJ situation and this childish instagram story reaction just make me a bit suspicious. I admit that I overreacted though, just purely based on my own speculation. Great insight btw about the role of poster placement during negotiations. I had no idea it went that far.

About the line-up: if anything, the negative reactions (in my opinion, too negative) prove that many people absolutely adore Pukkelpop and want them to succeed. For me, the foundation is there, and some tweaks can vastly improve the poster. I've been going for a lot of years now, and it was always a highlight of my summer.

One of the smaller names I'm really happy with is Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. Since I stumbled on their EP a couple of months ago, I knew PKP would get them. Great band, and seem equally great live.

You're totally right, you did say about NERD making the mistake and on reflection my point was more a general one as there are lots of people out there who are actually blaming PKP for what happened. Agreed they don't really help themselves at times though so this can give a negative impression when things happen that they don't have total control over.

The festival is really important to lots of people and it can be massively disappointing when the line up doesn't live up to expectations. I think what often underlies the anger and frustration (and this year is a prime example) is when the pool of potential bands available is strong but then many don't end up being booked. There's obviously loads of different reasons why this is the case but it doesn't change the fact that people miss out on seeing their favourite acts at their favourite (and possibly only!) festival of the summer.

As many on here have already said, it's still early days and we're a long way off knowing the full line up. I've got faith in them to deliver a solid program over the weekend and things can change quickly - look at how we were all feeling a bit disappointed on Monday night but then by Tuesday morning spirits had been well and truly lifted! Granted by Tuesday evening we were feeling a bit let down again but you get my point! It's also great to hear recommendations coming through on the lesser known bands - thanks for the heads up on RBCF @TheKiewitGuy, will definitely give them a listen. Some of my favourite PKP experiences have been discovering a band in the run up to the festival and then being blown away by how good they were live. 

1 hour ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

They are a great group. seeing them in Manchester in a couple of months. Again, really recommend Ron Gallo, if anyone's a fan of Ty Seagall and the like you should like Ron.

Was told about Confidence Man being the highlight of the Great Escape last May. A mate described them as a female Fatboy Slim which is pretty accurate. Ace songs so far, really looking forward to the album. They'll be great fun.

I'm still confident the Lemon Twigs will be announced. They're on the Sunday at Route Du Rock (as are Phoenix and Jungle) they'll certainly improve the lineup.

The negative reactions definitely prove people care about the festival. I've had some of the best nights of my life on that field and I want to have many more. It's all about the Friday. Had Florence for example been announced instead of either of the two 'headliners' and maybe a decent Marquee headliner got added, the reactions would have been totally different. My main gripe aside from the weak Friday and lack of good Marquee bands is the amount of repeat bands from 2/3 years ago who won't really offer much more than the last performance. The likes of Roisin Murphy and Kodaline are hardly inspiring bookings for the regular Pukkelpopper given the amount of bands that are about this year.  The high standards they set themselves last year just haven't been met on most of the stages so far and it's right that they should be told so they can hopefully do something about it. 

11 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

prices are up, they've made camping at Chill 25 euros and camping at Relax free of charge, I understand they want a more even split between the two sites but what a scam....

Wow, i hope they know what they are doing...i prefer my Pukkelpop not super-crowded, but i also don't want them to totally fail!

When you say people are vocal about their dislike for the lineup, what sources are you considering?

4 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

205 euros + 25 euros camping... That's dangerously close to 4 days of Werchter. If you consider that drink vouchers are also 3€ (Werchter still has the option to pre-order and get them for 2,5€), 3,5 days of PKP are probably more expensive.

You can pre-order them too at PKP. And there is a possibility to earn €10 back from the €25.

Still expensive though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Death By Sexy said:

You can pre-order them too at PKP. And there is a possibility to earn €10 back from the €25.

Still expensive though.

Paid too much last year then :P! It's the "get vouchers for 2,75€ if you pay with your card" that PKP doesn't have then compared to Werchter. I assumed there was no possibility to buy vouchers in advance either because they didn't have the 2,75€ option (I paid with my card last year). My mistake.

Haven't commented on the ticket prices as they're pretty much the same as last year and no beer increase is obviously a good thing.

Didn't realise till just that the change around of campsites is a thing though. So they're swapping the old Chill campsite to over the road of the site and moving Campsite A to where Chill was? So they'll have the 2 biggest campsites a fair walk away or a shuttle bus ride. Obviously it's designed to make money but I can't help but think they've not thought it through properly.  The party kids who would normally can afford it won't necessarily be arsed about 25 euros but will want to be as close as possible to the site, so they'll be paying for 'chilled out' camping but not necessarily bringing their best behaviour with them. If I was paying 25 euros to have a good camping experience and it was overrrun with kids up all night partying who are staying there so they can just walk across the road I'd be pretty fucked off.

Also surely having the biggest campsite the furthest away means people spending less time on site and spending money on booze and food??

Edited by DiscothequeDave

6 hours ago, Semprini said:

I'm setting up the annual PKP Dropbox folder, which will contain albums from most of the bands that are playing this summer. Send me a message/post if you'd like a link. No rap/hip hop (or anyone playing on Friday).

I'm setting up a gofundme page called 'savepukkelpopfriday' Donate as much as you can in order to pay Travis Scott to cancel his set and for the organisers to book some decent bands

It's a very needy cause. Your help will be gratefully received.

#savepkpfriday

• Like 2

On 23-3-2018 at 12:03 PM, Death By Sexy said:

If you buy your beer at the special beer bar, it is still €2,5 for Grimbergen etc., which is even cheap for a regular bar in a town.

Absolutely, our group makes special trips to that place, even if we are in the dance part of the festival ground. Wish they'd put an extra special beers bar, but at the same time I understand why you wouldn't do that as the organisation. Even better value btw if you go to the "Pukkelpop café". They serve Grimbergen in a 33cl glass there, also for just one voucher. It's our go to spot around 2-3 pm. Also met some great people there when hanging around.

3 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

It's both.

Nah not really. Travis Scott has one of the most highly regarded live shows in hip hop and is headlining festivals worldwide. The two indie rock names among the big names on that day being solely Belgian concerns fails to balance it out so I’d say OATW are the problem out of those two. Or just swapping The War on Drugs and Travis Scott, that’d balance it out some too.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Absolutely, our group makes special trips to that place, even if we are in the dance part of the festival ground. Wish they'd put an extra special beers bar, but at the same time I understand why you wouldn't do that as the organisation. Even better value btw if you go to the "Pukkelpop café". They serve Grimbergen in a 33cl glass there, also for just one voucher. It's our go to spot around 2-3 pm. Also met some great people there when hanging around.

Where is this? 2nd time I've heard someone mention it in the last 2 days. Can't recall it tbh

27 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Where is this? 2nd time I've heard someone mention it in the last 2 days. Can't recall it tbh

PKP café was right behind the viewtower, next to the Club. It looks like a log cabin. You can go inside like a regular bar or stay outside at the "porch". Always lots of (talkative) people around, but you never have to wait longer than 2 minutes to get your drink. You get full sized drinks and your glass of beer is made of glass, not just plastic.

The special beers bar @Death By Sexy mentioned is next to the picknick tables behind the main stage. It looks like the regular "tents" where you'd normally get your drinks, but with a "special beers" caption. The beers are in in a plastic glass (so you can take them anywhere, which is not possible at the PKP café) and have the regular size you get at the other stalls.

11 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

https:///s/pkp2018/

Someone's had a go at a clashfinder. Think the Saturday is way off in parts, but the Friday looks more realistic. Plenty of Club and Dance Hall slots to be filled which makes me feel a little more hopeful. Still not sure that Dua Lipa will finish the Thursday. Think it'll be AF personally.

Goose will play in the Dance Hall. They posted it on their facebook page.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

https:///s/pkp2018/

Someone's had a go at a clashfinder. Think the Saturday is way off in parts, but the Friday looks more realistic. Plenty of Club and Dance Hall slots to be filled which makes me feel a little more hopeful. Still not sure that Dua Lipa will finish the Thursday. Think it'll be AF personally.

Last year the lineup was divided in 12 names for wednesday, and 55-56-57 for the other days.

In worst case scenario (which is for me the one described by this clashfinder: none of the names announced are placed on wednesday), we still have 21-23 names to be announced for each of the 3 days.

IF they are mainly Marquee, Dancehall, Club and Castello acts we can expect a very good lineup in the end (not a lot of big names, but a lot of quality names are in Europe at that time).

If a lot of the next announces will be about Mainstage, Lift and Booth...well...