Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

Little gem for Friday, JD McPherson. Rokcabilly/R&B/Rock n Roller. Willing to bet it'll be a fun show to watch. Borns sounds pretty good too, at first listen at least.

Determined to make a go of Friday, even if it means only watching bands I hadn't heard of until today (but yeah, still weak, I'm a bit more generous than @DiscothequeDave giving the Friday a solid 4/10 after some listens, it was a lucky 2/10 before listening)

4 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Voice of reason. Thought Phoenix might be on it as the lineup was due to be released on Friday and that's when. They're playing Brussels (which is sold out)

Having calmed down a bit..It'll only take 2 really good Friday Marquee bands to turn it around for me. Just hope it happens.

I totally understand your frustration though. Thursday is great to modern Pukkelpop standards, Saturday has a lot of potential to be the same (if some more good midsized names are announced and Justice preferably doesn't clash with Kendrick), but Friday is currently the worst Pukkelpop day ever indeed. Tbh I had never heard of Travis Scott before a few days ago (when brought up in this topic).

But we are only halfway the lineup, and in the past few years later announcements still brought great names. Last year's second announcement included Ryan Adams, Nicolas Jaar, Armand Van Helden, The Shins, Sampha, Parquet Courts, 2manydjs, etc. 

Small nuance: I haven't gone combi since 2013, since then I'm looking at the lineup in a "which day is best" way rather than "how do these 3 days add up".

7 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Kylie, presumably not Minogue? Who are these people?

One of the Kardashian crew................

to to be honest looking at the names release there’s nowhere near enough to fill up the ‘Dance side’ of the programming. Friday is very weak and to have Sub Focus in that top billing when it’s only a DJ set (same as 2016 when he was on early evening) rather than his literally brand new live show may be a worrying indicator.

Only Benjamin Clementine is a must see for me that day I think.

Pretty pleased for Thursday but they definitely need to get the finger out and book some more established names. The variety at PKP has been its drawing factor for us every year as there’s always like 6/7 acts everyone can’t miss and they are usually different so it just fills up our whole day of people to see.

Ill still be going though, just don’t want to have to be plonked at Booth, Boiler + Costello all day gets a bit repetitive sometimes.

*****inb4 someone says she’s a Jenner

Edited by SilverLining

16 hours ago, Semprini said:

We’ve now got around half the names and it’s true that in the past most of the biggies have come in the first announcement. What we don’t know for certain though is whether this is the version of the poster they intended to publish this week? Many of the acts are booked months in advance so the leaked poster could have been an early work in progress. NERD effectively forced their hand so they had little choice but to release those names, regardless of whether they intended to or not.

I think this is an interesting theory, and I really want to believe this. Just too many really obvious names not on the poster (e.g. Superorganism is another one that came to mind this morning).

On the other hand, nothing stopped them from releasing other bands, in addition to the leaked ones. If there really were other medium-sized artists, why only announce Incubus as an extra? I also cannot believe that they had all these headliners and smaller names booked at the time they gave the poster to N.E.R.D., but no marquee bands (and therefore not on the sample poster)

I need to take a good look at the lineup, but obviously so far it doesn't look very impressive.

I'm happy for Moses Sumney, Grizzly Bear, Kelly Lee Owens and Roisin Murphy, and i'm sure i'll discover something i really like when i'll check the artists that i don't know, but to be honest by now those are the only new names i'm interested in...

It can't be like this, i'm hoping they just made a mainstream heavy announcement keeping a lot of good stuff out for the next half of the lineup.

And...are there a lot of belgian acts in the new list? Nothing against belgian bands, it's just that i don't know a lot of them.

Usually they announce a lot of bands from belgium later in one single announcement, can we say they have gone another way this time?

20 minutes ago, Kikujiro said:

And...are there a lot of belgian acts in the new list? Nothing against belgian bands, it's just that i don't know a lot of them.

Usually they announce a lot of bands from belgium later in one single announcement, can we say they have gone another way this time?

I count 10 Belgian acts.

Might be a bit off with this but doesn't look like there's much room for many decent additions. Appreciate some of the names will be for the Booth and some of the bands can play a multitude of stages. I think Incubus and You Me at Six maybe our 'big' Marquee bands already :-(

Main                     Sore Losers / Borns / Nothing But Thieves / N*E*R*D / Travis Scott / OATW

Marquee              Amber Run / Benjamin Clementine / Kodaline / Incubus / You Me at Six

Club                      Yungblud / Yellow Days / Sons of Kemet / JD Mcpherson / John Maus /

Dance Hall          Todiefor / Soffi Tukker / Rhye / Slushii / Goose

Boiler                   A-Trak / Dimension / Hazard B2B Hype feat. MC IC3 / Riton & Kah Lo / Sub Focus DJ set /

Castello                Or:la / Call Super / David August / Jax Jones (live)

Lift                        SYML / Madensuyu / Deaf Havana / Amenra

Booth

Looks very Drum and Bass heavy in the Boiler which isn't ideal for me when there's nothing on the Main/Marquee/Club stages. At least when the Friday was poor last year I had a blockbuster Boiler line up to fall back on.

I'll be in the Irish Times singing Karaoke if it doesn't improve :-)

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Might be a bit off with this but doesn't look like there's much room for many decent additions. Appreciate some of the names will be for the Booth and some of the bands can play a multitude of stages. I think Incubus and You Me at Six maybe our 'big' Marquee bands already :-(

Main                     Sore Losers / Borns / Nothing But Thieves / N*E*R*D / Travis Scott / OATW

Marquee              Amber Run / Benjamin Clementine / Kodaline / Incubus / You Me at Six

Club                      Yungblud / Yellow Days / Sons of Kemet / JD Mcpherson / John Maus /

Boiler                   A-Trak / Dimension / Hazard B2B Hype feat. MC IC3 / Riton & Kah Lo / Sub Focus DJ set /

Booth

Looks very Drum and Bass heavy in the Boiler which isn't ideal for me when there's nothing on the Main/Marquee/Club stages. At least when the Friday was poor last year I had a blockbuster Boiler line up to fall back on.

I think that Friday will be the "Marque Rock Day" (similar than 2017 Saturday).

I can see Incubus headlining this Rock Day with Amenra, You At Me At Six, Deaf Havana and a couple more bands TBA rocking the Marquee.

The lack of normal Marquee bands, make Friday look awful to all the people that are not into rock music (for me Amenra and Incubus are two great bands)

Edited by johnybegood

31 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Booth

Looking at that makes me feel hungover due to the amount of drinking I’m gonna have to do, for something to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

I think that Friday will be the "Marque Rock Day" (similar than 2017 Saturday).

I can see Incubus headlining this Rock Day with Amenra, You At Me At Six, Deaf Havana and a couple more bands TBA rocking the Marquee.

The lack of normal Marquee bands, make Friday look awful to all the people that are not into rock music (for me Amenra and Incubus are two great bands)

Bit of a stretch to suggest that fans of Amenra will also be happy with Deaf Havana, and vice versa. :P

1 hour ago, Jimmerz95 said:

Something tells me Pukkelpop are still salty :lol:Screenshot_20180322-112948.thumb.png.34759d62bea68869a2d8cee9fa241e51.png

This was on their instagram story

Screams a severe lack of professionalism, who cares they kept us waiting long enough as it was.... wouldn't be surprised with SM was posting photos of them with snake emojis on her twitter at this point.

If that wasn't the announcement they were planning to make I can see how it would be annoying as it may have screwed with the whole of the announcement schedule but it doesn't seem likely to me.

1 hour ago, SilverLining said:

Screams a severe lack of professionalism, who cares they kept us waiting long enough as it was.... wouldn't be surprised with SM was posting photos of them with snake emojis on her twitter at this point.

For real. Every year has some weird stuff going on. This "sample" photo may be on par with Run The Jewels being announced, only for RTJ to deny ever being booked a day later. Actually, the leak by N.E.R.D. doesn't surprise me either. Sure, N.E.R.D. made a mistake. But can you imagine this happening to Rock Werchter? 

Edited by TheKiewitGuy

3 hours ago, SilverLining said:

If that wasn't the announcement they were planning to make I can see how it would be annoying as it may have screwed with the whole of the announcement schedule but it doesn't seem likely to me.

I can imagine the lack of professionalism if you give your instagram account a few times to Chokri's daughter and her friends. 

I still have some hope that the leaked line up was filled with smaller names and that we can still expect some big names for the marquee and get that strong undercard that "greg" was talking about on the festileaks forum. 

The friday is really bad. There are a few smaller names that get me interested, but that's it. Giving an overhyped OATW a headliner spot is just wrong. Adding Bazart and names like Travis Scott to that in your line up and you've gone completely the wrong way.

All days have some artists that get my interest, but it is nearly as half compared to the number of artist I wanted to see the previous years. 

OK only half of the names is still known, but I hope that Chokri's daughter doesn't give any more tips to help them fill the line up.

3 hours ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

But can you imagine this happening to Rock Werchter? 

The reality is it could happen to any festival as it's standard practice to send out pre-release or sample versions of the line up poster for approval. The size of the font and the line and position they're placed on is a really big deal for some bands and negotiations even have to take place for that, hence the need to send out posters. A lot of this is driven by agents and the ego of the bands but it's an established part of the process now. I remember reading an interview last year with the guy who runs Coachella and he said it was a real headache negotiating the order of the line up poster with bands. He even went as far as saying that it was easier to get some of them to agree to play compared to deciding where they would actually feature on the poster!!

The RTJ example you mentioned was bizarre and down to the organsiation but I can't see how anyone can blame PKP for this? That sample poster would have been sent out with specific and very clear instructions for it not to be shared (bands are well aware of how this works anyway) so the agent or whoever it was that posted it is completely at fault here. I thought PKP's initial response was quite funny but that NERD instagram picture is a bit petulant really.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Semprini said:

The reality is it could happen to any festival as it's standard practice to send out pre-release or sample versions of the line up poster for approval. The size of the font and the line and position they're placed on is a really big deal for some bands and negotiations even have to take place for that, hence the need to send out posters. A lot of this is driven by agents and the ego of the bands but it's an established part of the process now. I remember reading an interview last year with the guy who runs Coachella and he said it was a real headache negotiating the order of the line up poster with bands. He even went as far as saying that it was easier to get some of them to agree to play compared to deciding where they would actually feature on the poster!!

The RTJ example you mentioned was bizarre and down to the organsiation but I can't see how anyone can blame PKP for this? That sample poster would have been sent out with specific and very clear instructions for it not to be shared (bands are well aware of how this works anyway) so the agent or whoever it was that posted it is completely at fault here. I thought PKP's initial response was quite funny but that NERD instagram picture is a bit petulant really.

I'd be more embarrassed about the line up itself rather than it being leaked early. I'm glad it was tbh. Would have ruined my weekend if we'd have got it tomorrow.

• Upvote 1