Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

33 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Local newspaper says one name for tomorrow. Come one, that can't be ID... The thursday will already be very hard to sell as it is (especially for a thursday), ID surely can't carry a full day?

If it ain’t AF, I just hope they just book someone we haven’t mentioned here numerous times because tbh not much has been said to excite me. Fingers crossed though! 

Hoping Benjamin Clementine is in this line-up at some point :)

22 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Imagine Dragons are definitely playing the Sunday at Frequency so I think we can say they are 99.99% for Pukkelpop. 

The point of giving the headliners a seperate announcement is to create some hype, but with them included, all names except for Kendrick are a stretch as headliners imo. All these artists had gigs in the past couple of months in Belgium (TWOD even TWO!). The undercard must be HUGE, or else I can't see a lot of day tickets being sold.

About Arcade Fire (yeah, still hoping), they play in Portugal on Wednesday so a Belgium concert on tuesday is too hard anyway? Don't know about their price, but Werchter had to put a co-headliner on their day last year. For me, like them or not, they are exactly the kind of band PKP should aim for. Critical acclaim (bar Everything Now) and popular with both music nerds and the more casual listener. It feels like the Blur situation again. Huge possibility, but we end up with a shitty pop act.

Edited by TheKiewitGuy

2 hours ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Local newspaper says one name for tomorrow. Come one, that can't be ID... The thursday will already be very hard to sell as it is (especially for a thursday), ID surely can't carry a full day?

ID as a solo announcement would be a weird move imo if you announce TWOD and Dua Lipa together. On the other hand PKP has shown the last years to make some awkward moves to announce their line up. 

I still have my hopes up for Arcade Fire.  

20 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

The point of giving the headliners a seperate announcement is to create some hype, but with them included, all names except for Kendrick are a stretch as headliners imo. All these artists had gigs in the past couple of months in Belgium (TWOD even TWO!). The undercard must be HUGE, or else I can't see a lot of day tickets being sold.

About Arcade Fire (yeah, still hoping), they play in Portugal on Wednesday so a Belgium concert on tuesday is too hard anyway? Don't know about their price, but Werchter had to put a co-headliner on their day last year. For me, like them or not, they are exactly the kind of band PKP should aim for. Critical acclaim (bar Everything Now) and popular with both music nerds and the more casual listener. It feels like the Blur situation again. Huge possibility, but we end up with a shitty pop act.

AF play Portugal on the Saturday so Friday is still do-able but unlikely now. Would have been perfect with TWOD but it's not to be. Definitely feels like the Blur situation. 

Ah well, nothing announced so far has been a surprise and I'll still go and see all 3 acts announced so far.  Just disappointed to see it in dribs and drabs...I'd rather get disappointed in one go :-)

To be 100% honest the years with headliners that are huge ticket sellers have always been the worst for my taste.

Pukkelpop, for me, is mainly Marquee-Club-Castello-Dance Hall and when they don't have the most expensive headliners in the main stage usually we get a great undercard, full of new acts with a growing fanbase.

And in the years with the shitty headliners the worst part of the audience concentrates on the main stage...this boosts the quality of the music in the other stages as well! :D

And if they don't sell a lot of tickets this year? Well, the years when we thought Pukkelpop's sold out was impossible were great years! :)

So...i understand you...but i'm hyped! :D Let's hope it's Imagine Dragons (my god they are SOOOOO BAD!!! :D ).

28 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Oh but I agree @Kikujiro, I know I will have a great time again! Still, my friends like seeing headliners and I hope this time I don't get dragged to Rihanna or Mumford again, but to some decent names instead!

Yeah...same here! It's very difficult to drag some friends from Italy if i try to buy them with names they haven't heard before...

Usually i tell them "IGNORATE IL MAIN STAGE!" because they are always "Mmmmmh...so...Mumford & Sons...well, is that the kind of music you listen to at that festival?" :D.

1 hour ago, Powl said:

ID as a solo announcement would be a weird move imo if you announce TWOD and Dua Lipa together. On the other hand PKP has shown the last years to make some awkward moves to announce their line up. 

I still have my hopes up for Arcade Fire.  

ID sold out the biggest veneu in Belgium in no time. Dua Lipa and TWOD performed in smaller venues. It's not that awkward at all. 

43 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

ID sold out the biggest veneu in Belgium in no time. Dua Lipa and TWOD performed in smaller venues. It's not that awkward at all. 

Well Dua Lipa has a bit of the same fan base. I'm sure she could sell out the sportpaleis too. 

A solo announcement of ID could work out good but it can also get a lot of negative reactions if they are announced like that. If they announce ID with a bunch of names they spread all the attention. It's a risk that can go 2 ways if they solo announce them. 

Ok they are quite popular and hyped in Belgium, but I think it's more clever to drop them with some other names.

For the 16-18 year old fanbase of ID and PKP it would be a perfect fit, so let's see what tomorrow will bring. 

Edited by Powl

7 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

I've used this motto for a couple of years and then in 2013 I was able to bring 12 friends to Pukkelpop ;) 

I'm not even sure I have 12 friends lol great job dude!

And IGNORATE STO CAZZO DI MAIN STAGE is really the motto at Pukkelpop (although I keep on preferring Sziget, because, well, reasons)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Dreading this one.

This has got to be one of my favourite ever Efest comments!! You should count your blessings really Dave; imagine what it will be like when she's actually booking all the bands?!? Travis Scott was the name that sprang to my mind too @TheKiewitGuy, especially as he's at R&L. I'll be miles away from the Main when he's on so not too much of an issue.

Not for the first time I'm a little bemused by the way they're doing things. I've got no issue with the fact they're drip feeding the names but I don't really get why we've had to wait three weeks for a couple of acts that are playing plenty of other festivals around that time and were pretty much nailed on from day one? I appreciate that doing it this way gives these bands a bit of special treatment and builds up excitement etc but for me that only really works when you're a bit surprised by the news and not expecting it. Maybe tomorrow will bring a surprise but I'm just looking forward to the big drop of names as that's where the bulk of my festival will be.

NERD's website has them down for playing Lowlands on the Saturday so it looks like they'll be at Pukkelpop on the Friday. I hope this means that Justice get picked to close the festival. Kendrick and Justice would be a great ending to it.

I'm going for Imagine Dragons and NERD to be announced today and possibly Travis Scott and 30 STM on Wednesday. That'd possibly give us all the heads and subs and then the big drop on Thursday.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

12 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I'm not even sure I have 12 friends lol great job dude!

And IGNORATE STO CAZZO DI MAIN STAGE is really the motto at Pukkelpop (although I keep on preferring Sziget, because, well, reasons)

My personal record is...well...just five! :D If Alan is italian that's impressive! Since 2006 i've just met 2 other italians at Pukkelpop, but usually a lot of belgians like to remember their genealogy with me when they notice i'm italian! :) (of course we talk about granmas and food! :D )

Only one name today? Let's hope it's an "headliner" (IGNORATE STI CAZZO DI HEADLINER!!!) and then finally tomorrow we'll get a good list of names!

5 minutes ago, Kikujiro said:

My personal record is...well...just five! :D If Alan is italian that's impressive! Since 2006 i've just met 2 other italians at Pukkelpop.

Well it's not totally true, 12 including me :)

In 3 Pkp I've done I've met only a couple and a guy from Italy.

You know what would be cool?

3 names every day (at different times) for some weeks...that would push the awareness about smaller bands (there's always something to discover at Pukkelpop).

But announcing 3 headliners and that a big list of names...well not so interesting as a marketing strategy...