Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

2 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Very unlikely now but still leaves the chance of a AF/TWOD alt-rock super combo for the Thursday

How exactly are they unlikely? Their Sportpaleis show is basically sold out, are around doing festivals in the same period as PKP and played RW last year?

Edited by arcuse

Is this the first confirmation that AF are staying in Europe beyond the Scandinavian festivals? Doubt they will only do this Portuguese date so they must at least be in contention now. I know that Greg guy said the headliners aren't that big but doesn't necessarily rule them out. 

I understand the timing of the Kendrick announcement (thought they might have had to actually wait for tonight's gig to finish if I'm honest) but was hoping we'd get more than just him today. It's not like anyone who takes even a passing interest in the rumours wasn't expecting it so it's hardly exclusive news. He's doing loads of festivals so I'm not convinced he needed his own announcement but at least we have something official now. 

I'm really hoping we get a batch of names tomorrow. Not sure what they have to gain by waiting until next week as that will also mean tickets won't go on sale until at least a few days after that?

35 minutes ago, arcuse said:

How exactly are they unlikely? Their Sportpaleis show is basically sold out, are around doing festivals in the same period as PKP and played RW last year?

Well when you say it like that then, yeah it's obviously possible. I just don't see it happening, as much as I want it to happen, and I really want it to happen.

48 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Is this the first confirmation that AF are staying in Europe beyond the Scandinavian festivals? Doubt they will only do this Portuguese date so they must at least be in contention now. I know that Greg guy said the headliners aren't that big but doesn't necessarily rule them out. 

I understand the timing of the Kendrick announcement (thought they might have had to actually wait for tonight's gig to finish if I'm honest) but was hoping we'd get more than just him today. It's not like anyone who takes even a passing interest in the rumours wasn't expecting it so it's hardly exclusive news. He's doing loads of festivals so I'm not convinced he needed his own announcement but at least we have something official now. 

I'm really hoping we get a batch of names tomorrow. Not sure what they have to gain by waiting until next week as that will also mean tickets won't go on sale until at least a few days after that?

Also bit perplexed about the solo announcement. Could have understood if it was someone as an exclusive or not on tour currently but Lowlands announced him and a load of others at the same time. Unless they wanted to just get a name out. 

Reckon there'll be more names by the end of the week. No point them waiting. Maybe a headliner on Wednesday and Thursday then the  batch of first names on Friday along with the ticket sales?

Edited by DiscothequeDave

50 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Reckon there'll be more names by the end of the week. No point them waiting. Maybe a headliner on Wednesday and Thursday then the  batch of first names on Friday along with the ticket sales?

You'd like to think there's some sort of pattern/formula to the announcements but this is PKP so anything is possible! What you say makes sense Dave but I think they will avoid a Friday announcement as RW missed last week so will likely drop some names this time.

Part of me likes the fact they do things differently each year but it does sometimes make you question what the logic is behind the strategy?!? I can't think of any other summer festival that announces after PKP so, due to the limited number of headliners/subs touring at that time, they're always going to lose any announcement exclusivity to their rivals. Granted they're not in direct competition with most of them (Lowlands aside, although they've each got their own core fan base so it's not so much of an issue) but there's still the 'wow' factor that comes with being the first festival to announce, say Kendrick, in Europe during August. They're not big or rich enough to attract any exclusive names so I don't really see the point in waiting until the end of the announcement season to drop the main part of their line up and release tickets? A lot of people, particularly those from outside Belgium, want to plan their summer excursions well in advance so aren't prepared to wait until March to see what's on offer. Some festivals have already been on sale since November and have even sold out before the first PKP tickets are available.

This policy seems to be based on tradition/history but times have changed and I can't really see what the benefit is from waiting until now? Realistically, who are they going to announce in the next week that we aren't expecting or who haven't already been confirmed for numerous other festivals in August? It's not lost on me that you can level this argument at almost everyone else (as that's the nature of the market at the moment) but that adds even more fuel to the fire that they need to get their names out there earlier. I guess if they sell out every year then it's not so much of an issue but even when this happens it tends to be quite close to the date, sometimes even a day or two before the festival. Look at Mad Cool: it's already sold out and the money is currently in their bank earning interest (yes I know that line up is stacked but they've definitely benefited from doing things early). I think this is something that needs addressing as the market is only going to become more competitive and saturated in the future.

• Upvote 2

Elrow Town (which is taking place in London on Saturday 18th August) are announcing a 'secret' headliner tomorrow. It's not really a secret though as the graphic quite clearly points to Fatboy Slim. Don't think he's big or relevant enough to close out the Main but could definitely play the Dance Hall or Boiler.

Kendrick Lamar yesterday was great! His show, the crowd, atmosphere, the liveband (unfortunately hidden behind the screen), setlist (TPAB is my favourite album by him and he only played 2 songs from it, but it wouldn't fit in this show) were all perfect. Very diverse crowd too. Indieheads, older people, parents with kids, college students, hipsters, fangirls, ...  Highlight after highlight, barely any time to think, pure exhaustion after the show. Already had to catch my breath after the first song, DNA. What a gig this was!

I don't get the reactions that "this is Rihanna all over again". It's almost blasphemous to compare that shitshow with this genius. It will definitely be the highlight of the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Kendrick Lamar yesterday was great! His show, the crowd, atmosphere, the liveband (unfortunately hidden behind the screen), setlist (TPAB is my favourite album by him and he only played 2 songs from it, but it wouldn't fit in this show) were all perfect. Very diverse crowd too. Indieheads, older people, parents with kids, college students, hipsters, fangirls, ...  Highlight after highlight, barely any time to think, pure exhaustion after the show. Already had to catch my breath after the first song, DNA. What a gig this was!

I don't get the reactions that "this is Rihanna all over again". It's almost blasphemous to compare that shitshow with this genius. It will definitely be the highlight of the weekend.

Not seen too much negative reaction to the announcement personally aside from people harking back to the PP line ups from over a decade ago. He'll certainly be a lot better than the shitshow that Rihanna came up with. Hope the band aren't hidden behind a screen in August.

Dour just dropped 25 new names so that's probably why we haven't heard anything today. Hopefully this means we'll get some news tomorrow. Frequency also announced a batch of names - hoping we get Andy C as it's been a few years since he's played. Also puts Chase and Status in the area that weekend, although it's a DJ set they're playing at Frequency. 

Where did you read about Die Antwoord being ruled out @DiscothequeDave? I see they have a gig in Budapest on 18th and now Frequency so that would still leave at least 1 day free.

19 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Not seen too much negative reaction to the announcement personally aside from people harking back to the PP line ups from over a decade ago. He'll certainly be a lot better than the shitshow that Rihanna came up with. Hope the band aren't hidden behind a screen in August.

Some Facebook reactions under the posts of Belgian papers. Not much, but still present.

Could live with Imagine Dragons as a headliner for one night. One clash less. Just please get Arcade Fire Chokri!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Dour just dropped 25 new names so that's probably why we haven't heard anything today. Hopefully this means we'll get some news tomorrow. Frequency also announced a batch of names - hoping we get Andy C as it's been a few years since he's played. Also puts Chase and Status in the area that weekend, although it's a DJ set they're playing at Frequency. 

Where did you read about Die Antwoord being ruled out @DiscothequeDave? I see they have a gig in Budapest on 18th and now Frequency so that would still leave at least 1 day free.

17/8 Die Antwoord are playing in Krakow

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

Ah, ok - thanks for that. Looked on their website and Facebook and they've only got the Budapest gig listed. Good news as they would have likely taken one of the late night Main spots again. 

Yes, very good news. They are shockingly bad.

Over the PP weekend there's only Krakow Live to announce their first bunch of names (only KL and Die Antwoord so far) and http://www.mahamusicfestival.com/2018/ in the US. Green Man are announcing more bands on the 1st March. Still missing a headliner - reckon we'll get all three GM headliners on the main or Marquee

I think they'll announce their first batch with 80ish names next week Monday/Tuesday. Kendrick was a marketing stunt tho, caught 2 birds in one hit. They could announce their first name 'by surprise', because no one knew when exactly they were going to come up with new names and they could promote his announcement with the him doing the concert later that night (they posted about it on Instagram and other social media). Clever move

Silk City (Mark Robson & Diplo) confirmed as headliners (!) For Bestival. Could be a main stage closer. Diplo always pops up in some form and Ronson has previous at Pukkelpop.

Edit - European exclusive, my mistake.

Silk City ruled out!

12 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Silk City (Mark Robson & Diplo) confirmed as headliners (!) For Bestival. Could be a main stage closer. Diplo always pops up in some form and Ronson has previous at Pukkelpop.

Edit - European exclusive, my mistake.

Silk City ruled out!

Their tweet says UK festival exclusive...

37 minutes ago, arcuse said:

I think that could be a pretty cool set actually, but idk if they should close the Main, I think they'd play the Dancehall. Kygo / Justice are wayy bigger as mainstage closers..

and a lot more expensive.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard last headliners for Green Man. Think they'll be the Club on the Thursday in the Mac De Marco slot from last year, up against the Main closer. Saw them last week for the 3rd time. They really are one of the best live bands in the world right now.

Really solid line up for GM

DXMNXJbWkAA1d99.jpg

12 minutes ago, arcuse said:

Think there will be a lot of acts from this for the Club tbh, really solid line up! I think Fleet Foxes is nailed as Marquee head aswell and TWOD as sub. Why do you think King Gizz would play Thursday? @DiscothequeDave

Just a feeling. They'll more than likely be at Lowlands as well so Thursday at Pukkelpop, Friday at Lowlands, day off to travel to the UK and then the Sunday at GM makes sense to me. Could easily do the Friday or Saturday though.

Think Fleet Foxes will be a Marquee subheadliner if you get what I mean, in the Flaming Lips slot of last year. I think there'll be going for bigger bands for the Marquee again.

I agree with your post from before, looking like Monday or Tuesday of next week for the next  announcement.

First names of Rock Herk, small festival close to Hasselt, just announced their first names. Rules all of them out I think.

TRIGGERFINGER / MARK LANEGAN BAND / SICK OF IT ALL / MARKY RAMONE / KEVIN MORBY / THE SOFT MOON / STUFF. / RAKETKANON / LA JUNGLE / KING HISS / GOE VUR IN DEN OTTO / TOXIC SHOCK / LOTUS / SONS / FORNET /